+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr expired can sponser spouse n child

Sumrit

Aug 27, 2019
India
Category........
VISIT
Hello
My husband is in canada from july 2019 n his pr expired in sep 2019 till now he is in canada from last 7 months.
My question is that he can stay there for 730days to renew pr but we want to get together in canada. Can I apply for tourist visa ?
We also having a child of 3 years old.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure you can apply for TRVs but whether they will be approved or not is impossible to predict given IRCC may suspect that once you are in Canada you may not leave when you are supposed to.

Sumrit

Aug 27, 2019
India
Category........
VISIT
Sure you can apply for TRVs but whether they will be approved or not is impossible to predict given IRCC may suspect that once you are in Canada you may not leave when you are supposed to.
Thanks alot for reply
But our main fear is that in this if immigration will send removal order to my husband or that is not possible till he will apply for renewing his pr.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should assume that you and your child will not receive TRVs. You can certainly try but it is unlikely to be approved.

Harryt

Feb 9, 2019
I have come across people on this forum who have been able to sponsor their spouse while in Canada but not meeting the residency obligation in past 5 years.

Specially if the PR is still valid for upto 5 years from date of issue. Can you please guide me to the text where it says Sponsors PR may be revoked if he/she does not RO obligation.

Harryt

Feb 9, 2019
I have come across people on this forum who have been able to sponsor their spouse while in Canada but not meeting the residency obligation in past 5 years.

Specially if the PR is still valid for upto 5 years from date of issue. Can you please guide me to the text where it says Sponsors PR may be revoked if he/she does not RO obligation.

Cic website states
Suspension of processing
If any of the situations or circumstances below apply to you, we won’t start processing your sponsorship application until a final decision related to the situation has been made.

Your citizenship is in the process of being revoked;
You have a removal order against you;
You’ve failed to respect your residency conditions;

Does this mean they will not process a sponsorship application if a PRs RO investigation is under process IT IS ONLY then that they will not process sponsorship PR ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Suspension of processing
If any of the situations or circumstances below apply to you, we won’t start processing your sponsorship application until a final decision related to the situation has been made.

You’ve failed to respect your residency conditions;

Does this mean they will not process a sponsorship application if a PRs RO investigation is under process IT IS ONLY then that they will not process sponsorship PR ?
One of the eligibility requirements for sponsoring a family member is valid PR status. And, indeed, that is the first part of the family class PR visa application process: IRCC assesses the eligibility of the sponsor. Obviously, this may trigger inquiry into the PR's compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. If the sponsoring PR is not in compliance with the RO, this can lead to suspending processing the family class visa application pending the outcome of such an inquiry, and then lead to a formal Residency Determination. If the outcome of the latter is a conclusion the PR is NOT in compliance with the RO, a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility maybe issued, and if a Minister's Delegate determines that Report is valid in law, a Departure Order (or Removal Order) will be issued UNLESS there are sufficient H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep PR status.

This does NOT always happen. We see mixed reports. A bit like driving under the influence, sometimes the drunk makes it home, sometimes the cops get him. (Except, to be clear, failing to comply with the RO is NOT wrong, let alone a crime; compliance is simply a requirement for keeping PR status and for exercising the benefits and rights of a PR.)

The process I describe above is discussed, with lots of citations and links to official and authoritative sources, in many topics here. I do not have time to revisit and repeat all that information.

But, to be clear: YES, a PR who is not in compliance with the PR RO MIGHT trigger proceedings to terminate her or his PR status by making a family class sponsorship application. Because the sponsorship application has triggered a review of the PR's compliance with the RO.

Sometimes it does not happen. So the forum sees reports of PRs who were in breach when they made a sponsorship application and things went OK. Maybe it has to do with how much (or rather how little) in breach of the RO the PR is. Or other circumstances.

But make no mistake, the PR who is not in compliance with the RO is RISKING losing PR status if he or she makes a sponsorship application.

The overwhelming conventional wisdom is that a PR who has been allowed back into Canada despite being in breach of the RO should avoid ALL transactions with IRCC or CBSA UNTIL the PR has stayed long enough to be in compliance with the RO. That means staying in Canada and not making any applications to IRCC, such as applications for a new PR card or to sponsor a family class visa application.

Some Particular Details:

"Specially if the PR is still valid for up to 5 years from date of issue. "​

Does NOT work like that. The PR Residency Obligation is ongoing and continuous. A PR can be Reported and lose PR status even if a brand new PR card has been issued, if the PR is in breach of the PR RO.

For example, if the so-called "soft-landing" PR leaves Canada soon after landing and remains abroad for three years plus a day, that PR is then in breach of the RO and at risk for losing PR status EVEN though his PR card is still valid for almost two more years. That is, if a PR is abroad for more than 1096 days during the first five years, that is a breach, the PR is subject to losing PR status as of the day he has been abroad more than 1096 days. Dates on the PR card are NOT relevant.

There are many cases in which PRs are issued a new PR card and rather soon thereafter Reported, losing their PR status.

Harryt

Feb 9, 2019
One of the eligibility requirements for sponsoring a family member is valid PR status. And, indeed, that is the first part of the family class PR visa application process: IRCC assesses the eligibility of the sponsor. Obviously, this may trigger inquiry into the PR's compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. If the sponsoring PR is not in compliance with the RO, this can lead to suspending processing the family class visa application pending the outcome of such an inquiry, and then lead to a formal Residency Determination. If the outcome of the latter is a conclusion the PR is NOT in compliance with the RO, a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility maybe issued, and if a Minister's Delegate determines that Report is valid in law, a Departure Order (or Removal Order) will be issued UNLESS there are sufficient H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep PR status.

This does NOT always happen. We see mixed reports. A bit like driving under the influence, sometimes the drunk makes it home, sometimes the cops get him. (Except, to be clear, failing to comply with the RO is NOT wrong, let alone a crime; compliance is simply a requirement for keeping PR status and for exercising the benefits and rights of a PR.)

The process I describe above is discussed, with lots of citations and links to official and authoritative sources, in many topics here. I do not have time to revisit and repeat all that information.

But, to be clear: YES, a PR who is not in compliance with the PR RO MIGHT trigger proceedings to terminate her or his PR status by making a family class sponsorship application. Because the sponsorship application has triggered a review of the PR's compliance with the RO.

Sometimes it does not happen. So the forum sees reports of PRs who were in breach when they made a sponsorship application and things went OK. Maybe it has to do with how much (or rather how little) in breach of the RO the PR is. Or other circumstances.

But make no mistake, the PR who is not in compliance with the RO is RISKING losing PR status if he or she makes a sponsorship application.

The overwhelming conventional wisdom is that a PR who has been allowed back into Canada despite being in breach of the RO should avoid ALL transactions with IRCC or CBSA UNTIL the PR has stayed long enough to be in compliance with the RO. That means staying in Canada and not making any applications to IRCC, such as applications for a new PR card or to sponsor a family class visa application.

Some Particular Details:

"Specially if the PR is still valid for up to 5 years from date of issue. "​

Does NOT work like that. The PR Residency Obligation is ongoing and continuous. A PR can be Reported and lose PR status even if a brand new PR card has been issued, if the PR is in breach of the PR RO.

For example, if the so-called "soft-landing" PR leaves Canada soon after landing and remains abroad for three years plus a day, that PR is then in breach of the RO and at risk for losing PR status EVEN though his PR card is still valid for almost two more years. That is, if a PR is abroad for more than 1096 days during the first five years, that is a breach, the PR is subject to losing PR status as of the day he has been abroad more than 1096 days. Dates on the PR card are NOT relevant.

There are many cases in which PRs are issued a new PR card and rather soon thereafter Reported, losing their PR status.

Thanks for your Reply

Very well explained and seems logical. Will research more on the subject because the cic website text on the matter suggests PR can sponsor spouse unless there is on going investigation for RO.

Are there examples of people triggering RO inquiry by applying to sponsor spouse or other family members ?