+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CONCERN

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Hi! I just need some insights regarding my current situation.

I renewed my PR card on September 2020. However, I was not able to wait for it to arrive in the mail because I flew back to Philippines to finish my 2 years in college. My mom got the PR card in the mail and sent it to me in the Philippines. My renewed pr card is now valid from December 2020-December 2025.

Fast forward to this year, I am going back to Canada in October for good. To sum it up, I have accumulated the first 2 years of my card's validity.

My question is, is there going to be a problem when I fly back to Canada because I was away for the first 2 years of the validity of my renewed PR card? Will I still be able to enter Canada? Am I still a PR?

I will highly appreciate your response. Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, but you may be questioned/cautioned by CBSA to make sure that you understand what your R.O. (Residency Obligations are).
Yes, you are still a PR. Only the PR card expires and gets renewed, not the PR status. Even if a person is non-compliant in terms of meeting their R.O., (some for many, many years) they are still allowed to re-enter Canada, although some do eventually lose their PR status.

On what day in 2020 did you leave Canada? Prior to that day, how many days did you have in Canada? Hopefully you understand that to maintain your R.O. you need at least 730 days in each rolling 5-year period in Canada.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

I renewed my PR card on September 2020. However, I was not able to wait for it to arrive in the mail because I flew back to Philippines to finish my 2 years in college. My mom got the PR card in the mail and sent it to me in the Philippines. My renewed pr card is now valid from December 2020-December 2025.

Fast forward to this year, I am going back to Canada in October for good. To sum it up, I have accumulated the first 2 years of my card's validity.

My question is, is there going to be a problem when I fly back to Canada because I was away for the first 2 years of the validity of my renewed PR card? Will I still be able to enter Canada? Am I still a PR?

I dont see any probleme
for the flight,,, no probleme
just be prepare with the custom officer,,, I mean have a clear information, you are going to live in Canada. You prefere stayed in Philipines due to Covid restrictions.
goof luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

As long as you have been in Canada for 730 days in the past year you are fine. After the first 5 years you have to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day. The expiry date on your PR card doesn’t have anything to do with RO compliance.

Edit: it looks like you have really been out of Canada since 2018 so are likely not compliant with your RO so yes you risk being reported. Would add that returning to the Philippines to do university doesn’t make a lot of sense given your degree will not be recognized by most employers. Not sure why you didn’t attend university or college in Canada since it appears you graduated from high school in Canada.