+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card

Osama912

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Hi
My son is 23 years old ..he is studying abroad and supported by OSAP.
his PR card expired on Dec 2015..in June 2017 he entered Canada from USA border..and he applied for the renewal of his PR with 400 days only .in July he left Canada to continue his last year...in Sept 2017 immigration sent him a questioner then he filled it and Sent it back October 2017...till now no any news...now ..he will finish his school on May 2018 and because all of his family are in Canada so he will come to Canada. My questions are ..what is better to apply to travelling documents or try to enter from USA Border again?.do they let him enter again specially he has proofs that he applied for renewal his PR?
And if he enter smoothly can he withdraw his renewal application?
Thank you very much

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
>what is better to apply to travelling documents or try to enter from USA Border again?
No difference here (unless he wants to fly from the US, in this case he needs PRTD).

>do they let him enter again specially he has proofs that he applied for renewal his PR?
So if I get correctly, did he apply for PR card renewal when he did not qualify for one?
The questionnaire he was sent seems because IRCC is suspecting he has not satisfied RO, and is deciding on revoking his PR status.
Probably IRCC will let him get in Canada (if they have not reached a decision by the time).
The fact he applied for renewal does not matter.

>And if he enter smoothly can he withdraw his renewal application?
I think doesn't matter, if I guessed correctly IRCC will revoke his PR status in few months...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He will be able to enter but I wold expect him to lose his PR. I have looked through all your questions and it seems like your son went to medical school in your home country and spent his summers in Canada. Going to school abroad is not a valid reason to not meet your PR. There was some mention of taking care of grandparents but given a rigorous curriculum and returning for summers that argument will not hold up.