+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card validity

chsunil

Apr 25, 2018
Received Canada PR in July 2009 , and applied SIN number at Niagara Falls Canada , and came back to US and never came to Canada, is my PR valid

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Pr cards expire but PR status never expires. However you need to spend 2 years out of every 5 years living in Canada else next time you try entering you could be reported resulting in your PR status being revoked.

chsunil

Apr 25, 2018
Pr cards expire but PR status never expires. However you need to spend 2 years out of every 5 years living in Canada else next time you try entering you could be reported resulting in your PR status being revoked.
Can you please let me know what I should do.Can you please suggest any lawyer

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
^^ most likely you'll be reported next time you come to Canada, and IRCC starts the process of revoking your PR status.

Unless you have a very good reason to leave Canada for that long a time (study and work are *not* valid reasons), there is very little hope to keep your PR status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like you have spent 1 day in Canada in 9 years I'm not sure why you thought you could move to Canada now. Living in Canada for 2 out of 5 years is pretty generous residency obligation.

chsunil

Apr 25, 2018
yes I agree, but now the immigration rules are always changing here and its frustrating to get my GC.
so thinking if we can move and settled there.
its very difficult to get our H1B extensions aswell here.

please suggest .

Thanks

oryx_np

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Sorry to hear about your situation. If you haven't stayed in Canada for the obligatory residency period of 2yrs, it's almost impossible to retain your last PR status. In my opinion entering express entry pool as early as possible is the best solution.

oryx_np

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
do I need to apply for this express entry pool ?
I mean you may need to start all over again and get PR through Express Entry.

Since it's been 9 years that you never visited Canada.
Although technically you currently have permanent resident status as you landed once. So when you try to enter Canada, your PR status will be revoked for not complying to residency obligation.