+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card timeline (Etobicoke office only)

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Yes, and I think employers only want the SIN, no employer wants the PR card lol.
FYI, Employer wants PR Card to keep a track of legal status of employee in their payroll. Of course, it varies from different employers.

My employer has slightly different processes for Work-permit and PR holders, therefore, they always keep a copy of employees legal status within their internal immigration department.

Reactions: Nousernamesadface

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021

mlj1992

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

Please advise which link we use to check our current status for first pr card?I've been waiting since March 1 but have not received anything till date.
If you log into your CIC account and click on ‘add (link) your application to your account’ and then fill out the details, you will be able to link your PR card application so it shows in your online account and you can keep track of it there. FYI I think the Etobicoke office processing time is 4-5 months at the moment, so I wouldn’t expect to receive your PR card for a while yet.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
1. There is an option for that. You can apply for PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) from India before you travel back to Canada. You have to submit both your COPR and PRTD at POE when you enter canada. Get more information on PRTD from below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
2. After getting your COPR you can apply for new SIN and obviously you will mention your old SIN no. during application (Whether online or in person at Service Canada). That will be automatically linked and all the Tax filing you did in your old SIN will now be reflected under the new CRA account that you will register with new SIN #. Please note that once the new SIN is generated your CRA account with old SIN will be deleted and you will need to register new CRA account.
3. As you mentioned that previously you were in Work permit, you will need to apply for new health card instead of renewing the old ones. All the details will be freshly gathered from you and again fresh photos will be taken. And yes all this can be done with COPR printout as your legal immigration status proof. Note that this COPR letter is e-document and is considered to be original.
Thanks Sam. What if the old SIN wasn't renewed last year due to COVID. Will that cause an issue?

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August

sam2328

Apr 26, 2021
Hi Shashi. For my wife and my son (7year old), it will be first Social insurance number but for me who already has a SIN (starting with series 9) what option to select from the " Type(Required)" dropdown ?
That would be 'Change of Status'

And also new SIN will be required only for Spouse. Children do not need a SIN unless they will earn money from a job or from an investment in their name.

Last edited:
Reactions: shashi_b

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Hi Shashi. For my wife and my son (7year old), it will be first Social insurance number but for me who already has a SIN (starting with series 9) what option to select from the " Type(Required)" dropdown ?
I had selected "Change of Status" , because I also had a temporary SIN i.e. starting with 9, which was expired in last year October.

Now, I received permanent SIN starting with 5 and it has been mapped to my earlier expired SIN record.

Reactions: mudjawd

T14

Apr 9, 2020
You can provide any of these as a proof of address (taken from canada.ca)

Examples of acceptable proof of address:

a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
employment contract that shows your address
a letter from an organization or an institution attesting the mailing address of the applicant. The organization/institution and the applicant must sign the letter confirming the mailing address
But I don’t have any of those. Can’t even get a mobile phone without a sin number.

T14

Apr 9, 2020
In which location of Service Canada did you try? I applied for my new SIN online by uploading the CoPR as my primary document and it was approved. Got my new SIN in approx 10 days.

Quoting the statement from canada official page:

"
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) issued by IRCC, accompanied by a travel document (for example, a foreign passport), or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial or territorial authority (for example, a driver’s license)
Note: If the COPR is used within one year of becoming a permanent resident, it is acceptable. After this period, the Permanent Resident Card is required
"
I applied online first and it was rejected as CoPR was not proof of address because it was not mailed to me, it was emailed.

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
I tried they said CoPR is not proof of address as it was emailed to me and not mailed.
Man, I don't know how to say this any simpler. When you apply online you upload 3 documents. 1) your copr
2) passport
3) your lease agreement, a utility bill, a credit card statement with address your driver's license, etc.