+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card timeline (Etobicoke office only)

Silver Star

Apr 16, 2021
Hi, It is now well past the 92 days processing time since I applied for my first Permanent Residency card. I am also having problems using the emailed CoPR letter I received to get a bank account or start a job as it doesn’t have bar codes on it and they say they will only accept a PR card.
maybe you should talk to the bank again, it states clearly that COPR is valid for one year because the pandemic situation. So banks should follow the new rules as well

Patsnits

Star Member
Oct 19, 2019
Make sure you enter all the info like name, place of birth etc exactly the same as it is on your passport. Also, when it asks for the date you became PR, put the date you got approved in your CIC account, not the date you got your COPR. That’s what I was doing wrong and when I changed the date to my approval date it worked!
Hi,

Please advise which link we use to check our current status for first pr card?I've been waiting since March 1 but have not received anything till date.

T14

Apr 9, 2020
maybe you should talk to the bank again, it states clearly that COPR is valid for one year because the pandemic situation. So banks should follow the new rules as well
But they state they should have bar codes on them but mine and I’m led to believe new ones don’t.

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
But to get a sin online you need proof of address but the CoPR does not count. They said in the office when I went to get sin number that CoPR needs bar codes.
You can provide any of these as a proof of address (taken from canada.ca)

Examples of acceptable proof of address:

a letter or document from a government (federal, provincial, territorial or foreign)
a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)
a residential tenancy agreement/ lease
a bill (from among others a telecom provider, a cable provider, a utility provider, etc.)
any document issued by a school, college or university that shows your address
employment contract that shows your address
a letter from an organization or an institution attesting the mailing address of the applicant. The organization/institution and the applicant must sign the letter confirming the mailing address

Reactions: Fadros

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
hi All. Couldn't find a relevant thread so asking few questions related to PR Card/SIN/Health Card

1. I assume that the PR card is taking 4-5 months. What if I want to travel out of the country? Once everything calms down in India, Can I visit there before getting my PR card and then come back? Is there a defined process and is it risky?
2. For SIN number, do we need to link it with the old SIN card that I had as I was previously on a Work Permit. How long does it take to get a new SIN number?
3. I think, I can just take the COPR printouts/address details etc and get my health card renewed? As it is not an original copy like they always need, I'd assume that they have a mechanism to cross validate.

sam2328

Apr 26, 2021
Hi All,
Hope everyone is doing good. I know everyone is waiting for such a long period of time for their PR Card and hope everything will turn out to be on positive side very soon. All the very best.
I just have a query regarding the first time PR card application. Has anyone tried to contact IRCC and tried to register in PR Confirmation Portal after sending the hardcopy of the photos to etobicoke office? I understand that without an invitation we can't register ourself in confirmation portal but just want to understand if IRCC is ready to send such invitation for folks who are waiting for longer period of time to expedite the process.

Below is my timeline related to PR card:
22nd March - COPR
5th April - Sent my photos to Etobicoke office
8th April -Photos got delivered to Etobicokeo office
14th April - Linked my PR Card application to online account

sam2328

Apr 26, 2021
hi All. Couldn't find a relevant thread so asking few questions related to PR Card/SIN/Health Card

1. I assume that the PR card is taking 4-5 months. What if I want to travel out of the country? Once everything calms down in India, Can I visit there before getting my PR card and then come back? Is there a defined process and is it risky?
2. For SIN number, do we need to link it with the old SIN card that I had as I was previously on a Work Permit. How long does it take to get a new SIN number?
3. I think, I can just take the COPR printouts/address details etc and get my health card renewed? As it is not an original copy like they always need, I'd assume that they have a mechanism to cross validate.
1. There is an option for that. You can apply for PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) from India before you travel back to Canada. You have to submit both your COPR and PRTD at POE when you enter canada. Get more information on PRTD from below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
2. After getting your COPR you can apply for new SIN and obviously you will mention your old SIN no. during application (Whether online or in person at Service Canada). That will be automatically linked and all the Tax filing you did in your old SIN will now be reflected under the new CRA account that you will register with new SIN #. Please note that once the new SIN is generated your CRA account with old SIN will be deleted and you will need to register new CRA account.
3. As you mentioned that previously you were in Work permit, you will need to apply for new health card instead of renewing the old ones. All the details will be freshly gathered from you and again fresh photos will be taken. And yes all this can be done with COPR printout as your legal immigration status proof. Note that this COPR letter is e-document and is considered to be original.

Last edited:

sam2328

Apr 26, 2021
But to get a sin online you need proof of address but the CoPR does not count. They said in the office when I went to get sin number that CoPR needs bar codes.
In which location of Service Canada did you try? I applied for my new SIN online by uploading the CoPR as my primary document and it was approved. Got my new SIN in approx 10 days.

Quoting the statement from canada official page:

"
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) issued by IRCC, accompanied by a travel document (for example, a foreign passport), or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial or territorial authority (for example, a driver’s license)
Note: If the COPR is used within one year of becoming a permanent resident, it is acceptable. After this period, the Permanent Resident Card is required
"

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
1. There is an option for that. You can apply for eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) from India before you travel back to Canada. You have to submit both your COPR and eTA at POE when you enter canada.
2. After getting your COPR you can apply for new SIN and obviously you will mention your old SIN no. during application (Whether online or in person at Service Canada). That will be automatically linked and all the Tax filing you did in your old SIN will now be reflected under the new CRA account that you will register with new SIN #. Please note that once the new SIN is generated your CRA account with old SIN will be deleted and you will need to register new CRA account.
3. As you mentioned that previously you were in Work permit, you will need to apply for new health card instead of renewing the old ones. All the details will be freshly gathered from you and again fresh photos will be taken. And yes all this can be done with COPR printout as your legal immigration status proof. Note that this COPR letter is e-document and is considered to be original.
@sam2328
I am hearing for the first time about eTA from India. Could you please elaborate? How to apply for an eTA from India?

sam2328

Apr 26, 2021
@sam2328
I am hearing for the first time about eTA from India. Could you please elaborate? How to apply for an eTA from India?
@shashi_b , I should have used the right term, it is not eTA for this purpose. eTA is for "for visa-exempt foreign nationals "
In this case a PRTD will need to be applied from India before travelling.

You can apply that from here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Reactions: shashi_b