+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card taken in Citizenship Oath process but is needed in passport application

Jun 23, 2012
All:

I am scheduled to take Canadian Citizenship Oath this coming January.

Amongst the list of documents to bring along to the Canadian Citizenship Oath ceremony, it mentions the following:

-all of the original documents that you submitted with your citizenship application - Immigraiton Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)

-Permanent Resident Card (If you have a landing document and a Permanent Resident Card, you must bring both of them)

Moreover, the letter notifying me about the Canadian Citizenship Oath has the following paragraph:

"Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
We will be taking your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) from you upon your arrival. If you became a landed Immigrant prior to June 2002 you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) to the citizenship ceremony so that it can be updated. This document will be immediately returned to you. Failure to produce these documents at the ceremony will not allow you to attend the ceremony and you will Not receive your citizenship certificate on the scheduled date of your ceremony."

Fortunately, I have the aforementioned documents so I should have all the necessary documents in order to participate in the Canadian Citizenship Oath ceremony so that I can become a Canadian Citizen.

The problem shows up when I want to apply for my Canadian Passport. I checked the www[dot]passport[dot]gc[dot]ca website, and I found the "Adult General Passport Application" form.

The "Adult General Passport Application" form requires the following document to be submitted:

-Any valid Canadian travel document ( passport, certificate of identity or refugee travel document ) issued in your name.

( www[dot]ppt[dot]gc[dot]ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng ) Permanent Residents travel with their Permanent Resident (PR) cards as Certificates of Identity.

However, if the Canadian Citizenship Oath process take away my Canadian Permanent Resident Card then it takes away a document that is necessary for the "Adult General Passport Application" form processing.

One process takes away something that the subsequent process needs. ???

What should I do?
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Everyone has their PR card taken away from them at the citizenship ceremony. Your PR card is no longer valid once you have taken the oath. You don't need the PR card to apply for your passport.

Reactions: mickey_mouse

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
newemployee909090 said:
All:

I am scheduled to take Canadian Citizenship Oath this coming January.

Amongst the list of documents to bring along to the Canadian Citizenship Oath ceremony, it mentions the following:

-all of the original documents that you submitted with your citizenship application - Immigraiton Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)

-Permanent Resident Card (If you have a landing document and a Permanent Resident Card, you must bring both of them)

Moreover, the letter notifying me about the Canadian Citizenship Oath has the following paragraph:

"Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
We will be taking your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) from you upon your arrival. If you became a landed Immigrant prior to June 2002 you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) to the citizenship ceremony so that it can be updated. This document will be immediately returned to you. Failure to produce these documents at the ceremony will not allow you to attend the ceremony and you will Not receive your citizenship certificate on the scheduled date of your ceremony."

Fortunately, I have the aforementioned documents so I should have all the necessary documents in order to participate in the Canadian Citizenship Oath ceremony so that I can become a Canadian Citizen.

The problem shows up when I want to apply for my Canadian Passport. I checked the www[dot]passport[dot]gc[dot]ca website, and I found the "Adult General Passport Application" form.

The "Adult General Passport Application" form requires the following document to be submitted:

-Any valid Canadian travel document ( passport, certificate of identity or refugee travel document ) issued in your name.

( www[dot]ppt[dot]gc[dot]ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng ) Permanent Residents travel with their Permanent Resident (PR) cards as Certificates of Identity.

However, if the Canadian Citizenship Oath process take away my Canadian Permanent Resident Card then it takes away a document that is necessary for the "Adult General Passport Application" form processing.

One process takes away something that the subsequent process needs. ???

What should I do?
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
[once you become a citizen, the citizenship certificate will replace your PR card. You only need one form of ID, and it doesnt have to be a trravel document. You can use a drivers licence, health card etc..any ID with photo..even your old foreign passport is acceptable

derdoppelganger

Jun 27, 2014
North Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2007
Doc's Request.
02-06-2008
AOR Received.
20-12-2007
IELTS Request
30-08-2008
Med's Request
12-01-2010
Med's Done....
16-03-2010
Passport Req..
28-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2010
LANDED..........
10-01-2011
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/08/04/dual_citizens_carrying_foreign_passport_turned_away_at_florida_airport.html