+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card renewal

luke22

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
I need to send pr card renewal application for both me and my spouse. How do I do it? Is it better to send 2 separate applications or everything together? If I put everything together do I still separate it in 2 envelopes? I can't seem to find any official info about it

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
I need to send pr card renewal application for both me and my spouse. How do I do it? Is it better to send 2 separate applications or everything together? If I put everything together do I still separate it in 2 envelopes? I can't seem to find any official info about it
We did 2 separate envelopes in the same package, IRCC processes applications this way.

samirtaneja

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Hello friends

I have send the PR card renewal application by Canada post to Sydney, Nova Scotia which was delivered on August 13th 2021 as per tracking number.
I haven’t received any AOR or confirmation till date. Can somebody tell me how much time it will take to get AOR and then what needs to be done.
I have attach the application number to Cic login account to get updates and status.

or what else?

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Hello friends

I have send the PR card renewal application by Canada post to Sydney, Nova Scotia which was delivered on August 13th 2021 as per tracking number.
I haven’t received any AOR or confirmation till date. Can somebody tell me how much time it will take to get AOR and then what needs to be done.
I have attach the application number to Cic login account to get updates and status.

or what else?
They are barely at mid-late June applications. At this rate you can expect to receive something close to end of Nov or early December for your AOR.

samirtaneja

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Ok. Thanks for reply

actually I thought processing time 4 months but it seems that getting AOR is taking 6 months now.
So if I get AOR by end November or December then when I can expect my new PR card as I have to plan to go to my home country for some days and I am waiting for my PR card so that I can go and come back without any hurdle. I don’t want apply for PRTD from my home country to come back in case I don’t have PR card

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
actually I thought processing time 4 months but it seems that getting AOR is taking 6 months now.
So if I get AOR by end November or December then when I can expect my new PR card as I have to plan to go to my home country for some days and I am waiting for my PR card so that I can go and come back without any hurdle. I don’t want apply for PRTD from my home country to come back in case I don’t have PR card
If your return home is not urgent, you will need to wait your PR card to be issued. It may take 5 months. If your return is urgent with a good reason and you can provide a proof, you will need to submit a new application, and write urgent on the envelope. Unfortunately, IRCC treats us like prisoners and fugitives these days, and we have to comply to their almighty power over our movements.

P@ssw0rd1

Star Member
Aug 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I just send my pr card renewal application the other day and just noticed that I forgot to include copy of my pr card with my package. It doesn't mention it in the application package but it mentions it in instructions. What to do now? Anybody had the same situation? Is it even required?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your return home is not urgent, you will need to wait your PR card to be issued. It may take 5 months. If your return is urgent with a good reason and you can provide a proof, you will need to submit a new application, and write urgent on the envelope. Unfortunately, IRCC treats us like prisoners and fugitives these days, and we have to comply to their almighty power over our movements.
You always have the option of a PRTD so definitely not a prisoner

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hello All,

I just send my pr card renewal application the other day and just noticed that I forgot to include copy of my pr card with my package. It doesn't mention it in the application package but it mentions it in instructions. What to do now? Anybody had the same situation? Is it even required?

Thank you
It's a wait game. Wait and see what they decide. One applicant said they opened their file despite them forgetting to include a copy of PR card

Reactions: P@ssw0rd1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PRTD in the times of pandemic! Yeah, right. It takes months. If your vacation or family visit is for one month, good luck returning in Canada with PRTD.
Most are getting within a week plus except in times where there have been upswings in covid cases

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Your apprehensions about relying on obtaining a PR Travel Document while abroad makes sense. How easy and especially how quickly a PR can obtain a PR Travel Document while abroad can vary a great deal depending on many factors, including some outside the PR's control, like which visa office will be processing the application (when it comes to which visa offices tend to be more problematic, the usual suspects tend to be fairly predictable).

How things go when a PR applies for a new PR card (or for a PR Travel Document) can vary considerably. How long and how well settled the PR is in Canada tends to be one of the biggest factors.

It appears you have been settled in Canada since at least early 2018 (or so; you previously reported, in late 2019, you had been living here two years at that point). Assuming you have indeed been settled here since early 2018, that LIKELY makes a positive difference in a couple regards, including in terms of how it will go with your PR card application (it would also affect how it goes if you apply for a PR Travel Document while abroad).

So a lot depends on when you want to make the trip. Odds of having a PR card in time to make the trip before the year's end do NOT appear to be good. Maybe, but not a for-sure bet or even close. Unfortunately, while PR card applications can be expedited, there is no way to request urgent processing for the current application until you get AOR, and by then your application should be soon resulting in a Decision Made and the new PRC mailed anyway (and if not, then it is not likely that IRCC would expedite processing based on an urgent processing request anyway).

Depending on the reason for the trip, but also depending on various other factors, you could make a new application stating "URGENT" on the envelope and following the online instructions for making a request for urgent processing. HOWEVER, absent rather compelling circumstances, general reports suggest the odds of actually receiving expedited processing for a PR card application are NOT good. So there is little promise pursuing this will actually get you a PR card much sooner, and thus the odds are NOT this year . . . again, maybe, but not a for-sure bet or even close.

There are reasons why IRCC does not generally expedite PRC applications. On the surface this is basically because a PR does not need a PR card to travel internationally. In fact, a PR card is not a Travel Document so it only has a very limited impact on a PR's capacity to travel internationally, and that is essentially limited to being the primary document to show airlines in order to obtain permission to board a flight headed to Canada from abroad.

There is much more to this than that, however, which warrants addressing given the grossly misleading mischaracterizations proffered by some who are either ill-informed or blatantly careless or willfully deceptive. Or, as @canuck78 succinctly put it: no, PRs are NOT prisoners in Canada.

First, a more in-depth explanation in regards to your decision-making options . . . you have noted the current PR card processing times, which last I looked was 137 days (more than four months).

MOST PRs applying for a new PRC for whom there are no reasons to anticipate status questions (no reasons to apprehend non-routine processing) should be seeing (currently; the timeline varies from month to month) AOR in less than four months after applying, and a Decision Made within two to four weeks of that (for many it can be the same day as the AOR). (See, for example, recent timeline posts here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-new-renewal-processing-timeline-2021.724984/page-130#post-9752298 including reports by @Allen, @kishi9, @Tackica, @PEPOZ, @Shaikhum, and @Tp)

Most PRs for whom there are no reasons to anticipate status questions, no reasons to apprehend non-routine processing, will be mailed the new PRC.

It could go faster than that, but the more likely best case scenario is a favourable decision made around early December, followed by how long it takes for the PR card to actually be physically issued and mailed and delivered. And December tends to be a holiday-laden slow mail period.

So, as noted before, odds are not good you will have a new PR card in hand in time to travel abroad this year. If your travel can wait to early in the next year, you probably have some realistic expectations of getting a new card in time for traveling then.

That is assuming you are in the group of PRC applicants for whom there are no reasons to anticipate status questions, no reasons to apprehend non-routine processing. This group typically includes those PRs who:
-- are currently well-settled in Canada and have been well-settled in Canada for more than three years, and​
-- have at least 1000 PLUS days of presence in Canada within the relevant five years for calculating Residency Obligation compliance, and​
-- no criminal or security issues, and​
-- no flags arising from other contacts with CBSA or IRCC​

Others who do not fit this criteria may also be routinely processed and experience a timeline resulting in getting a new PRC in the mail within around five months, but for PRs outside this criteria there are increasing risks of non-routine processing.

Summary: While there is no guarantee your application is a "no-issue" application, if you have been settled here since early 2018, which it appears to be the case, and there are no other reasons to anticipate issues, your application probably is a "no-issue" application. No issue applications tend to be resolved either at the same time as AOR or within a week or three. And no issue applications tend to result in the new PR card being mailed to the PR. So, assuming all goes well, it is likely to be sometime in January or so, probably at the soonest, before you get a new PR card (and perhaps into February, recognizing the impact of the holidays as well as vagaries in current processing timelines).