+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CARD - Renewal

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Friends,
My wife's landing date is 21-Apr-2017, and she had met the residency obligations for maintaining the PR status.
Due to some personal reasons had to travel back on 26th January -2020 and not sure about the return dates.
Her PR card is valid till August -2022, if she has to return after that, what are the options for her?

Question1: Does she need to apply for the PRTD to come back to Canada after August-2022 and then apply for a PR card?
Question2: Can she apply for the PR card from outside Canada after August 2022?

Appreciate it if you share the thoughts?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Friends,
My wife's landing date is 21-Apr-2017, and she had met the residency obligations for maintaining the PR status.
Due to some personal reasons had to travel back on 26th January -2020 and not sure about the return dates.
Her PR card is valid till August -2022, if she has to return after that, what are the options for her?

Question1: Does she need to apply for the PRTD to come back to Canada after August-2022 and then apply for a PR card?

Thanks
Has she been in Canada throughout that whole first period?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If a PR is overseas with an expired PR card he or she has no choice but to apply for a PRTD. Some recommend travelling overland from the US which will most likely get a person into Canada, but may also trigger an application to remove PR status.
A PR card application has to be made in Canada.

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a PR is overseas with an expired PR card he or she has no choice but to apply for a PRTD. Some recommend traveling overland from the US which will most likely get a person into Canada but may also trigger an application to remove PR status.
A PR card application has to be made in Canada.
What in case if she decides to return to Canada after few years after August 2022(where her PR gets expired)

What is the timeframe to return to Canada after the PR card expiry?
I understand the PR is for lifetime..please correct me if incorrect.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Dear Friends,

Thanks
she should have applied for citizenship
good luck

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"What is the maximum timeframe she can be outside Canada after PR card expiry?"

There is no maximum time frame. She will remain a PR for life unless steps are taken to strip it from her. And that could only happen if she makes an application for a PRTD or to enter Canada. As long as she remains outside Canada and doesn't attempt to come back, she can be a proud PR of Canada.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My PR card will expire in Feb 2021.

I have applied for citizenship in May. Do I need to apply for PR card renewal (to be on safe side), as citizenship application will take around 12 months.

If I apply for PR card renewal, will it affect my citizenship application.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My PR card will expire in Feb 2021.

I have applied for citizenship in May. Do I need to apply for PR card renewal (to be on safe side), as citizenship application will take around 12 months.

If I apply for PR card renewal, will it affect my citizenship application.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Your PR card renewal would not affect your citizenship application.