+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - What happens to current PR Card expiry?

eagerbeaver!

May 13, 2020
Good day, I applied for a PR card renewal in December 2021, I notice that the status has been updated to "Decision Made". As I am not sure if the renewal has been approved or rejected, I will have to wait until snail mail arrives in the mailbox to know. What usually happens to the expiry of the current PR card, which in this case is on 5th May? Would I be allowed to travel out of Canada and return by/on the 5th of May? Does the new PR card (if approved) continue from the existing expiry date on the card? Thanks

ethelstan

Sep 16, 2016
You need a valid PR card to return to Canada. This is required even by the airline before they let you board the plane. If you must leave now, then just apply to PRTD at your destination (which may take time). I recommend not to travel until you have the PR card.

eagerbeaver!

May 13, 2020
Thanks! My current PR card is till valid until the 5th of May 2022, I should still be able to use it to travel and return to Canada on/around 5th of May, shouldn't I?

ethelstan

Sep 16, 2016
Thanks! My current PR card is till valid until the 5th of May 2022, I should still be able to use it to travel and return to Canada on/around 5th of May, shouldn't I?
Not around, but before. I would return no later than May 2 or 3 just to leave extra days for cancellation, etc.