+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CARD RENEWAL PROCESSING TIME

Dominica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
Hi Guys,

My application for renewal of PR card was sent in the first week of April,2017. In the first week of June,2017 i got an email from CIC saying my file is gone for secondary review, since then I have not yet from them. Now i would need to travel back to my home country in March,2018 and i thought i would get my new PR card for my return back.

Is it normal for such long processing times, also when i checked the status of my application online status is "In Process" and this is the status from June,2017.

Anyone in the similar situation please advise me how i can go about with this as i do not feel comfortable to travel without the renewed PR card. I have met the residency obligations aswell.

any advise will be helpful.

Thanks.......

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Hi Guys,

Anyone in the similar situation please advise me how i can go about with this as i do not feel comfortable to travel without the renewed PR card. I have met the residency obligations aswell.

Thanks.......
I sent in mid-July 2017 and since Aug in secondary review and my wife sent in June 2017 and since July 2017 in secondary review. Both of us have met residency obligations.. Last change in citizenship applications criteria in 2015 created a pile up of PR renewal applications. And this Oct-2017 citizenship applications criteria change has created the same situation. Last time the people got together and sent a petition to the Minister of Immigration . Not sure how much of a change was effected because of that but I noticed the processing times reduced to approx. 60 after that. It looks like IRCC has severe staff shortage or some other factor which is causing this poor service levels. Calls to IRRC for PR goes to automated response and even the CSE doesn't give proper response other than application is in process. I requested the ATIP officers notes and its over 40 days now and haven't got it. Just 2 days back they replied acknowledged that my request is overdue and is flagged for priority but no commitment on when they will send my ATIP notes.

Dominica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for the response. Just last night i read on the CIC website that they are working on applications received in October,2017 hence i am trying to understand what has happened to those received prior to October,2017. I need to travel to my home country in March,2018 . The status of my application online shows "In Process" since June,2017. I have too have met my residency obligations. how do i get intouch with ATIP officers and is there any charge for this service. I am now very anxious over this delay.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
The processing mentioned in IRCC website is for regular application not secondary review application. No timeline or anything for those in secondary review

SRIS

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

My application for renewal of PR card was sent in the first week of April,2017. In the first week of June,2017 i got an email from CIC saying my file is gone for secondary review, since then I have not yet from them. Now i would need to travel back to my home country in March,2018 and i thought i would get my new PR card for my return back.

Is it normal for such long processing times, also when i checked the status of my application online status is "In Process" and this is the status from June,2017.

Thanks.......
Your application submission date is almost identical to my wife's PR card renewal application that also went to secondary review. No news on her application since she was asked to submit passport copies and EXIT/ENTRY certificates from countries that she had traveled to.

To answer your question it is quite normal for them to take 12 months or more for secondary review cases to be processed.

We live in BC and certainly without a valid PR card you can not renew your driving license and many other things not to mention not able to travel. Keeping posting if there is an update and I will do the same.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
if you could share, how long total were you outside Canada and what were the countries you had visited ?

SRIS

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
if you could share, how long total were you outside Canada and what were the countries you had visited ?
We arrived here about 2 years and 9 months after becoming PR then stayed here about 745 days or so before applying for renewal, meeting RO requirement of 730 days within first 5 years period. During the initial 5 years period, she traveled to Pakistan, USA and Saudi Arabia. I could get the EXIT/ENTRY report from Pakistan and USA but her 7 days visit to Saudi Arabia could not be backed by Saudi immigration EXIT/ENTRY certificate.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Maybe then you can use the tickets/boarding passes if you have.
But then, going by the other posts , is the visit to Pakistan and Saudi caused the secondary review trigger.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe then you can use the tickets/boarding passes if you have.
But then, going by the other posts , is the visit to Pakistan and Saudi caused the secondary review trigger.
No what is triggering the secondary review is the fact that they are only 15 days over the RO. They want to make sure the person actually met the RO.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Overall: Processing times for PR card applications referred to Secondary Review are almost impossible to predict. Reports range for a couple extra months to nearly a year or so, some even longer, with many reports in the ten to twelve month range.

Sometimes the PR can trigger acceleration of the process by traveling abroad and applying for a PR Travel Document, or by otherwise arriving at a Port-of-Entry seeking re-entry into Canada, the PR TD application for sure triggering a Residency Determination and arriving at a PoE more or less likely to trigger a Residency examination. This has risks of course. The burden of proof for the Residency Determination is on the PR and once abroad, a PR who does not have a valid PR card is presumed to NOT have valid PR status . . . albeit this presumption is fairly easily rebutted if the PR has and submits proof.

In the meantime, Canada does NOT in any way restrict the PR's ability to travel abroad. Yes, Canada requires either a valid PR card or a PR TD to approve boarding a flight to Canada by a PR traveler, but the PR TD is available to any PR who submits proof of status and compliance with the PR RO. Meaning, traveling abroad can be inconvenient but it is NOT in anyway prohibited.

Thus, a PR who is confident of his or her proof of compliance with the PR RO who has need to travel abroad, and who can plan to be abroad long enough to accommodate the time for processing a PR TD application, can go abroad with little reservation or worry. With some exceptions for some countries where PR TD applications are more difficult, in practice, to make.

No what is triggering the secondary review is the fact that they are only 15 days over the RO. They want to make sure the person actually met the RO.
I would qualify this some. If initial screening suggests the PR did not meet the PR Residency Obligation, the PR is typically sent a detailed Questionnaire (not sure if current one in use is still labeled a "Residency Questionnaire") and IRCC will actually (typically) proceed to assess it sooner than it assesses those referred to Secondary Review. If the response to the Questionnaire suggests the PR has not complied with the PR RO, the PR is usually scheduled for an interview sooner rather than later.

One reason for this is that time in Canada awaiting a decision on a PR card application still counts toward being in compliance with the PR RO. Unless and until there is a formal residency determination, and it is determined that as of that date the PR is in breach, time in Canada counts. So, unless IRCC calls the PR in for an interview and makes a formal determination before the additional time in Canada cures a breach of the PR RO, the PR who was in breach and thus inadmissible will have more time to stay and do so long enough to cure the breach. This is not to suggest IRCC rushes these cases just to penalize the PR. But particularly for PRs who have no history of long-term settlement in Canada, it appears likely that IRCC will proceed fairly promptly in cases where IRCC perceives the PR did not meet the PR Residency Obligation.

Thus, in contrast, a referral to Secondary Review usually (not always) means IRCC has concerns beyond or in addition to whether the PR met the PR Residency Obligation. Even if, as is often the case, questions about PR RO compliance initially triggers the SR.

Note, for example, if the PR reports presence in Canada sufficient to meet the PR RO, in the application, BUT IRCC has concerns the PR did not meet the PR RO, that necessarily means IRCC suspects misrepresentation in the PR card application. That's basic logic. If the PR reports 730+ days in Canada, and IRCC has cause to think that the PR was not in Canada 730+, that means IRCC has cause to think the PR has made a material misrepresentation as to days in Canada.

And, actually, if IRCC has cause to think the applicant's account of days in Canada is not true, no matter how many days that involves, that is cause to think the applicant made a material misrepresentation. For example, if an applicant declares 873 days in Canada, and IRCC perceives the applicant has misrepresented presence for, say, 70 of those days, that could mean a misrepresentation even though after deducting the 70 days the PR would still be in compliance with the PR RO. Of course IRCC makes allowances for and accommodates mistakes, innocent errors. IRCC does not engage in a GOTCHA game. But it has a mandate, it MUST screen individuals for violations of Canadian immigration laws and enforce those laws.

Thus, if IRCC determines a misrepresentation was made, it will not matter how long the PR stays in Canada. Misrepresentation is a ground for determining the PR is inadmissible, for which PR status is terminated. This can be what is at stake even for PRs who reported 900 or 1000 or more days in Canada . . . again, even if without any misrepresentation they would otherwise still meet the PR RO. Misrepresentation is an independent ground for termination of PR status, and misrepresentation as to days in Canada may be deemed material, thus grounds for losing PR, even if a corrected calculation still meets the PR RO.

Another factor which tends to increase the risk of SR is suspicion the PR is not actually settled and living in Canada, and has left Canada while the application is in process. In these cases it appears IRCC is using the SR process to more or less engage in a wait-and-see what the PR does approach . . . often waiting until the PR makes a PR Travel Document application to return to Canada or otherwise arrives at a Port-of-Entry without a valid PR card and is examined as to PR RO compliance (as of PR TD application date or as of the date of examination at the PoE). Here too, cutting-it-close can be what triggers these concerns.

Sometimes the Secondary Review is due to some suspicion as to a previous misrepresentation. As I have discussed elsewhere, a recent official case involved a PR who has an inadmissibility proceeding against her for an alleged misrepresentation made in a PR card application many years ago. When she made her more recent application for a PR card, information based on an investigation into a crooked consultant's files triggered the investigation and commencement for an action to terminate her status based on the much older PR card application. One of the things some seem to overlook is that when IRCC does a GCMS check, it often probes hits connected to other cases. Thus, for example, bad luck to be living at an address that is identified as having the same postal code for an address someone else used connected to some immigration fraud . . . just the postal code for the address a PR has can trigger a suspect-address hit leading to elevated scrutiny and be why there is Secondary Review.

NONETHELESS, NO NEED to WORRY if the PR has not been involved in any misrepresentations to IRCC and is currently in compliance with the PR RO and is settled and living in Canada. In this circumstance, it is merely a matter of waiting for the process to be completed. The vast majority of reports about SR in the forum seen to have a positive outcome, eventually, so long as the PR continues to be in compliance with the PR RO and especially those who mostly stay in Canada in the meantime. But yes, depending, SR can easily mean an extra six months to nearly a year.

Reactions: immigrant7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Overall: Processing times for PR card applications referred to Secondary Review are almost impossible to predict. Reports range for a couple extra months to nearly a year or so, some even longer, with many reports in the ten to twelve month range.

Sometimes the PR can trigger acceleration of the process by traveling abroad and applying for a PR Travel Document, or by otherwise arriving at a Port-of-Entry seeking re-entry into Canada, the PR TD application for sure triggering a Residency Determination and arriving at a PoE more or less likely to trigger a Residency examination. This has risks of course. The burden of proof for the Residency Determination is on the PR and once abroad, a PR who does not have a valid PR card is presumed to NOT have valid PR status . . . albeit this presumption is fairly easily rebutted if the PR has and submits proof.

In the meantime, Canada does NOT in any way restrict the PR's ability to travel abroad. Yes, Canada requires either a valid PR card or a PR TD to approve boarding a flight to Canada by a PR traveler, but the PR TD is available to any PR who submits proof of status and compliance with the PR RO. Meaning, traveling abroad can be inconvenient but it is NOT in anyway prohibited.

Thus, a PR who is confident of his or her proof of compliance with the PR RO who has need to travel abroad, and who can plan to be abroad long enough to accommodate the time for processing a PR TD application, can go abroad with little reservation or worry. With some exceptions for some countries where PR TD applications are more difficult, in practice, to make.

I would qualify this some. If initial screening suggests the PR did not meet the PR Residency Obligation, the PR is typically sent a detailed Questionnaire (not sure if current one in use is still labeled a "Residency Questionnaire") and IRCC will actually (typically) proceed to assess it sooner than it assesses those referred to Secondary Review. If the response to the Questionnaire suggests the PR has not complied with the PR RO, the PR is usually scheduled for an interview sooner rather than later.

One reason for this is that time in Canada awaiting a decision on a PR card application still counts toward being in compliance with the PR RO. Unless and until there is a formal residency determination, and it is determined that as of that date the PR is in breach, time in Canada counts. So, unless IRCC calls the PR in for an interview and makes a formal determination before the additional time in Canada cures a breach of the PR RO, the PR who was in breach and thus inadmissible will have more time to stay and do so long enough to cure the breach. This is not to suggest IRCC rushes these cases just to penalize the PR. But particularly for PRs who have no history of long-term settlement in Canada, it appears likely that IRCC will proceed fairly promptly in cases where IRCC perceives the PR did not meet the PR Residency Obligation.

Thus, in contrast, a referral to Secondary Review usually (not always) means IRCC has concerns beyond or in addition to whether the PR met the PR Residency Obligation. Even if, as is often the case, questions about PR RO compliance initially triggers the SR.

Note, for example, if the PR reports presence in Canada sufficient to meet the PR RO, in the application, BUT IRCC has concerns the PR did not meet the PR RO, that necessarily means IRCC suspects misrepresentation in the PR card application. That's basic logic. If the PR reports 730+ days in Canada, and IRCC has cause to think that the PR was not in Canada 730+, that means IRCC has cause to think the PR has made a material misrepresentation as to days in Canada.

And, actually, if IRCC has cause to think the applicant's account of days in Canada is not true, no matter how many days that involves, that is cause to think the applicant made a material misrepresentation. For example, if an applicant declares 873 days in Canada, and IRCC perceives the applicant has misrepresented presence for, say, 70 of those days, that could mean a misrepresentation even though after deducting the 70 days the PR would still be in compliance with the PR RO. Of course IRCC makes allowances for and accommodates mistakes, innocent errors. IRCC does not engage in a GOTCHA game. But it has a mandate, it MUST screen individuals for violations of Canadian immigration laws and enforce those laws.

Thus, if IRCC determines a misrepresentation was made, it will not matter how long the PR stays in Canada. Misrepresentation is a ground for determining the PR is inadmissible, for which PR status is terminated. This can be what is at stake even for PRs who reported 900 or 1000 or more days in Canada . . . again, even if without any misrepresentation they would otherwise still meet the PR RO. Misrepresentation is an independent ground for termination of PR status, and misrepresentation as to days in Canada may be deemed material, thus grounds for losing PR, even if a corrected calculation still meets the PR RO.

Another factor which tends to increase the risk of SR is suspicion the PR is not actually settled and living in Canada, and has left Canada while the application is in process. In these cases it appears IRCC is using the SR process to more or less engage in a wait-and-see what the PR does approach . . . often waiting until the PR makes a PR Travel Document application to return to Canada or otherwise arrives at a Port-of-Entry without a valid PR card and is examined as to PR RO compliance (as of PR TD application date or as of the date of examination at the PoE). Here too, cutting-it-close can be what triggers these concerns.

Sometimes the Secondary Review is due to some suspicion as to a previous misrepresentation. As I have discussed elsewhere, a recent official case involved a PR who has an inadmissibility proceeding against her for an alleged misrepresentation made in a PR card application many years ago. When she made her more recent application for a PR card, information based on an investigation into a crooked consultant's files triggered the investigation and commencement for an action to terminate her status based on the much older PR card application. One of the things some seem to overlook is that when IRCC does a GCMS check, it often probes hits connected to other cases. Thus, for example, bad luck to be living at an address that is identified as having the same postal code for an address someone else used connected to some immigration fraud . . . just the postal code for the address a PR has can trigger a suspect-address hit leading to elevated scrutiny and be why there is Secondary Review.

NONETHELESS, NO NEED to WORRY if the PR has not been involved in any misrepresentations to IRCC and is currently in compliance with the PR RO and is settled and living in Canada. In this circumstance, it is merely a matter of waiting for the process to be completed. The vast majority of reports about SR in the forum seen to have a positive outcome, eventually, so long as the PR continues to be in compliance with the PR RO and especially those who mostly stay in Canada in the meantime. But yes, depending, SR can easily mean an extra six months to nearly a year.
Thanks for the detailed response! Just meant that by living in Canada for only 745 the person would likely end up in SR because her reported stay only exceeded the RO 15 days:)

SRIS

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response! Just meant that by living in Canada for only 745 the person would likely end up in SR because her reported stay only exceeded the RO 15 days:)
I think in my family case it was just being barely over required 730 days that triggered secondary review. In hindsight, I could have applied after I had accumulated more days as I applied, in the case of my kid almost 100 days before I could have applied as the PR card was to be valid for another 100 days.

It has been almost 10 months since I applied for my kid's PR card renewal in March 2017 and was referred to Secondary review in May 2017. IRCC asked for passport copies and Exit/Entry certificates which I tried to provide except from one country which I could not get.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes. And that does indeed appear to be the typical case: cutting-it-close triggering the Secondary Review. I concur in that observation emphatically.

And that, indeed, is an important point well worth making for those PRs who might have the view they meet the minimum so no problem.

Except the problems that come from getting bogged down in a lengthy SR. Including, potentially, going many months without a valid PR card.

Except the problem that could come from IRCC or CBSA not believing the PR's account of days in Canada, which potentially could be a serious problem.

The reason for my clarification, for going into such detail about what SR tends to be about, was in significant part to explain why SR tends to take longer than it should for IRCC to do a Residency Determination (many bogged down in SR will undoubtedly wonder, if the question is compliance with the PR RO, why is it taking so long, that should not take so long) . . . and that is because the SR tends to be about more than merely doing a Residency Determination, about more than verifying the PR met the PR Residency Obligation.

Which leads to . . .

just being barely over required 730 days that triggered secondary review. In hindsight, I could have applied after I had accumulated more days
I do not mean to beat this to death, but it is obvious many PRs are not sufficiently aware of the risks involved when they are cutting-it-close. It is apparent that more awareness about the risks of cutting-it-close could save more than a few PRs a lot of consternation, that is as long as they recognize the risks and take action to reduce them. But here's a clue: another fifty or hundred days in Canada may help but is NOT really enough to make a big difference; the big difference comes by settling permanently in Canada sooner.

While it is possible that another 100 days or so might have been enough to avoid Secondary Review, even 850 days is still cutting-it-close, close enough that it still means the PR was spending significantly less than half his or her time in Canada during the preceding five years, and thus will still risk if not outright tend to draw elevated scrutiny.

Many, many PRs make the MISTAKE of approaching the PR RO as if meeting the minimum obligation is enough to satisfy IRCC expectations. IRCC's expectation is that PRs will permanently settle in Canada without undue delay and that they have genuinely planned and prepared to do this as part of making the decision to become a Canadian.

Those who do not permanently settle in Canada, or who do not appear to have permanently settled in Canada, are at elevated risk for being approached skeptically if not with outright suspicion whenever there is a Residency Determination. Scores of IAD panels and some Federal Court justices have repeatedly emphasized the purpose and intent of granting PR status is to facilitate permanent settlement in Canada. If and when it appears that is not the PR's intent, as indicated by the PR's actual actions, by the extent of time spent abroad, or by the pattern of time spent abroad, the PR can anticipate IRCC might review the PR's case with some element of distrust . . . and thus also take the time to review the PR's history.

This is not to say that IRCC takes a harsh approach to those PRs who struggle to get settled in Canada and are cutting-it-close in terms of finally getting to Canada to stay. But obviously, IRCC does tend to take a lot closer look, a more skeptical look, at PRs whose history fails to show they have permanently settled in Canada.

This is not to say that IRCC takes a negative view of those PRs who do a short-landing and return to their previous home to take time to make the permanent move to Canada. That is actually quite common and anticipated. But when the amount of time that takes goes beyond a year or two, it is natural for IRCC to question, if not doubt, the extent to which the individual was genuinely planning and preparing to make Canada his or her home.

Yes, the new PR has up to three years to make that move. And the PR will indeed be allowed that time to make the move. But impressions matter. Appearances matter. Credibility matters. The closer the PR cuts it, the greater the risk IRCC will question the PR's credibility, going back to the process of becoming a PR itself.

This is something PRs should be aware of and take into consideration. In contrast, there appears to be no shortage of PRs surprised and dismayed when they run into problems after cutting-it-close, when they have lived outside Canada more than in Canada over the course of four, five years. The relatively lenient approach IRCC long took when dealing with PRs, the fairly lax enforcement of the PR Residency Obligation in previous years (for a long time it was especially lax for PRs who carry visa-exempt passports), appears to be HISTORY. No more. Or at least not nearly so lenient, not nearly the lax enforcement of old.

Bottom line: PRs who do not come to settle permanently in Canada within roughly two years after landing, plus a bit perhaps, can anticipate elevated scrutiny and some collateral difficulties when the time comes to apply for a new PR card or if they need to apply for a PR TD (lost PR card for example) or even when arriving at a PoE the next time. PRs not yet settled in Canada should be made aware of this.

A further note regarding IRCC's expectation that PRs will permanently settle in Canada without undue delay and that PRs have genuinely planned and prepared to do this as part of making the decision to become a Canadian: an example of how this plays out in actual cases can be seen in cases where the PR pleads H&C reasons based on needing to care for elderly and ill parents. More than occasionally the fact that a new PR's parents needed care has not been sufficient to save the PR's status, the IAD ruling that the PR was aware of his or her parent's age at the time of applying for and becoming a PR, so it is assumed the PR took the obvious risks into consideration in planning for and making arrangements to immigrate permanently to Canada. The new PR takes and is responsible for the risks involved, and is deemed to have accounted for how long the PR RO allows the PR to be abroad, including time abroad to care for elderly parents. Likewise any personal health issues the PR could have anticipated.

Again, it is apparent that many PRs have the mistaken impression that just meeting the PR RO is all that is expected. It is, rather, the very minimum required. Not quite the ABSOLUTE minimum, as there is some room for H&C flexibility over and above the flexibility of allowing three years absence in a five year period, but it is very nearly an absolute minimum. So when a PR is cutting-it-close, that really is cutting-it-close and that has real risks, and the potential for causing inconvenience or significant difficulties even without overtly breaching the obligation. PRs should get informed and be smart about this.

Reactions: tinycottage

SRIS

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Yes. And that does indeed appear to be the typical case: cutting-it-close triggering the Secondary Review. I concur in that observation emphatically.

And that, indeed, is an important point well worth making for those PRs who might have the view they meet the minimum so no problem.

Except the problems that come from getting bogged down in a lengthy SR. Including, potentially, going many months without a valid PR card.

Except the problem that could come from IRCC or CBSA not believing the PR's account of days in Canada, which potentially could be a serious problem.

The reason for my clarification, for going into such detail about what SR tends to be about, was in significant part to explain why SR tends to take longer than it should for IRCC to do a Residency Determination (many bogged down in SR will undoubtedly wonder, if the question is compliance with the PR RO, why is it taking so long, that should not take so long) . . . and that is because the SR tends to be about more than merely doing a Residency Determination, about more than verifying the PR met the PR Residency Obligation.

Which leads to . . .

I do not mean to beat this to death, but it is obvious many PRs are not sufficiently aware of the risks involved when they are cutting-it-close. It is apparent that more awareness about the risks of cutting-it-close could save more than a few PRs a lot of consternation, that is as long as they recognize the risks and take action to reduce them. But here's a clue: another fifty or hundred days in Canada may help but is NOT really enough to make a big difference; the big difference comes by settling permanently in Canada sooner.

While it is possible that another 100 days or so might have been enough to avoid Secondary Review, even 850 days is still cutting-it-close, close enough that it still means the PR was spending significantly less than half his or her time in Canada during the preceding five years, and thus will still risk if not outright tend to draw elevated scrutiny.

Many, many PRs make the MISTAKE of approaching the PR RO as if meeting the minimum obligation is enough to satisfy IRCC expectations. IRCC's expectation is that PRs will permanently settle in Canada without undue delay and that they have genuinely planned and prepared to do this as part of making the decision to become a Canadian.

Those who do not permanently settle in Canada, or who do not appear to have permanently settled in Canada, are at elevated risk for being approached skeptically if not with outright suspicion whenever there is a Residency Determination. Scores of IAD panels and some Federal Court justices have repeatedly emphasized the purpose and intent of granting PR status is to facilitate permanent settlement in Canada. If and when it appears that is not the PR's intent, as indicated by the PR's actual actions, by the extent of time spent abroad, or by the pattern of time spent abroad, the PR can anticipate IRCC might review the PR's case with some element of distrust . . . and thus also take the time to review the PR's history.

This is not to say that IRCC takes a harsh approach to those PRs who struggle to get settled in Canada and are cutting-it-close in terms of finally getting to Canada to stay. But obviously, IRCC does tend to take a lot closer look, a more skeptical look, at PRs whose history fails to show they have permanently settled in Canada.

This is not to say that IRCC takes a negative view of those PRs who do a short-landing and return to their previous home to take time to make the permanent move to Canada. That is actually quite common and anticipated. But when the amount of time that takes goes beyond a year or two, it is natural for IRCC to question, if not doubt, the extent to which the individual was genuinely planning and preparing to make Canada his or her home.

Yes, the new PR has up to three years to make that move. And the PR will indeed be allowed that time to make the move. But impressions matter. Appearances matter. Credibility matters. The closer the PR cuts it, the greater the risk IRCC will question the PR's credibility, going back to the process of becoming a PR itself.

This is something PRs should be aware of and take into consideration. In contrast, there appears to be no shortage of PRs surprised and dismayed when they run into problems after cutting-it-close, when they have lived outside Canada more than in Canada over the course of four, five years. The relatively lenient approach IRCC long took when dealing with PRs, the fairly lax enforcement of the PR Residency Obligation in previous years (for a long time it was especially lax for PRs who carry visa-exempt passports), appears to be HISTORY. No more. Or at least not nearly so lenient, not nearly the lax enforcement of old.

Bottom line: PRs who do not come to settle permanently in Canada within roughly two years after landing, plus a bit perhaps, can anticipate elevated scrutiny and some collateral difficulties when the time comes to apply for a new PR card or if they need to apply for a PR TD (lost PR card for example) or even when arriving at a PoE the next time. PRs not yet settled in Canada should be made aware of this.

A further note regarding IRCC's expectation that PRs will permanently settle in Canada without undue delay and that PRs have genuinely planned and prepared to do this as part of making the decision to become a Canadian: an example of how this plays out in actual cases can be seen in cases where the PR pleads H&C reasons based on needing to care for elderly and ill parents. More than occasionally the fact that a new PR's parents needed care has not been sufficient to save the PR's status, the IAD ruling that the PR was aware of his or her parent's age at the time of applying for and becoming a PR, so it is assumed the PR took the obvious risks into consideration in planning for and making arrangements to immigrate permanently to Canada. The new PR takes and is responsible for the risks involved, and is deemed to have accounted for how long the PR RO allows the PR to be abroad, including time abroad to care for elderly parents. Likewise any personal health issues the PR could have anticipated.

Again, it is apparent that many PRs have the mistaken impression that just meeting the PR RO is all that is expected. It is, rather, the very minimum required. Not quite the ABSOLUTE minimum, as there is some room for H&C flexibility over and above the flexibility of allowing three years absence in a five year period, but it is very nearly an absolute minimum. So when a PR is cutting-it-close, that really is cutting-it-close and that has real risks, and the potential for causing inconvenience or significant difficulties even without overtly breaching the obligation. PRs should get informed and be smart about this.
Point accepted.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Thanks a lot dpenabill for your time and patience in writing down your points. That helps many of us a lot.
My query is on the same lines; Though I understand the point about the "intention of permanently settling in Canada", that's something the IRCC folks can deduce from the facts/data submitted in the application and from the data which they can pull from the linked systems. Because, no one (i suppose) will openly say I dont intend to live here, in their application.
So, question is, what are those trigger points which may make one feel that this person is not planning to make it.
1. PR days RO is definitely one of them.
2. Cutting-close, as in detailed, explained by you is one reason.
3. Then what else ?