+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal processing time

James John

Jul 18, 2014
Hello,
I just have mailed my documents for PR card renewal.
Approximately how much time would it take until I receive my new PR? almost 90 days? Some people say it takes almost 1.5 months for them to start working on your PR and then another 50 days to process it. Is that true?
Just one extra question do they require all the pages on my passport or just that page that has the main information. When I called them they just said they wanted the page with the most important information.
Thank you

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
James John said:
Hello,
I just have mailed my documents for PR card renewal.
Approximately how much time would it take until I receive my new PR? almost 90 days? Some people say it takes almost 1.5 months for them to start working on your PR and then another 50 days to process it. Is that true?
Just one extra question do they require all the pages on my passport or just that page that has the main information. When I called them they just said they wanted the page with the most important information.
Thank you
Only biographical pages are needed in regards to the passport(s).

CIC website is showing 48 days however it may vary depending upon application to application and how busy cic is

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
James John said:
Yes, some people say it needs 1.5 months + 48 days. or its only 48 days?
48 days in general. If your application is straightforward, it will be processed 48 days (may take additional couple of weeks). If the application requires further checks etc, then it may be delayed.

James John

Jul 18, 2014
Actually my PR card got renewed 2 months ago. I applied again to change my name on the PR card. Does this usually take longer time?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
James John said:
Actually my PR card got renewed 2 months ago. I applied again to change my name on the PR card. Does this usually take longer time?
PR card name change is same like renewal process and it should take around the same time.

James John

Jul 18, 2014
I just called CIC and they said it takes them almost a month until they open the file and another 48 days until they process it. Is that true?
Thank you

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
James John said:
I just called CIC and they said it takes them almost a month until they open the file and another 48 days until they process it. Is that true?
Thank you
From the date of delivery, I think 48 days(Could be 58+ days with extra buffer) is the total processing time of the application but timelines vary depending upon case to case and how busy cic is.

mdh

Aug 3, 2014
ab
File Transfer...
-
Hello

I know this thread is for renewal of PR cards...but i havent find 1 thread for new PR cards
Hope u guys can help me.

I became permanent resident jan 19 2017 so now officer at border sent automatically to cic the application for the 1st PR card.

Im wondering if it morless accurate the processing timw as monday will be my 46 day as it shows in cic processing time web page...

I already bookes flights fo april.

Do u think i will get it on time?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mdh said:
Hello

I know this thread is for renewal of PR cards...but i havent find 1 thread for new PR cards
Hope u guys can help me.

I became permanent resident jan 19 2017 so now officer at border sent automatically to cic the application for the 1st PR card.

Im wondering if it morless accurate the processing timw as monday will be my 46 day as it shows in cic processing time web page...

I already bookes flights fo april.

Do u think i will get it on time?
I think you have sufficient time to receive the new PR card. The processing can take additional few days in addition to 46 days.

If you don't get PR card on time then apply for PRTD from abroad to come back to Canada.

James John

Jul 18, 2014
Hello,
Looking in the CIC website it says we have to write our name on the envelope that holds the pictures inside. I did everything they told me regarding the photo specifications but I forgot to write my name on the small envelope. Will that cause any problems?
Thank you

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
James John said:
Hello,
Looking in the CIC website it says we have to write our name on the envelope that holds the pictures inside. I did everything they told me regarding the photo specifications but I forgot to write my name on the small envelope. Will that cause any problems?
Thank you
Check the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf

If you have followed the instructions as mentioned in the above link then you should be fine. I think writing the name on the envelope should not cause any issues, hopefully not. Let's hope for the best.

Mudshark17

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011
File Transfer...
01-06-2011
Our experience (I am a citizen, spouse in a PR) is CIC is way behind in processing PR card renewals and their quoted service times are mis-leading and never updated online weekly, as they state they are on their website.

Originally sent in my wife's application Feb 21, 2017. They sent back the pictures indicating the chin to top of head distances was 1 mm too big (1 mm....really??). New pictures send in and they acknowledged on their system they received "complete" application March 9, 2017. CIC acknowledged they started processing May 11, 2017. My wife is supposed to go to visit her parents leaving June 5th, so it looks like our only option, "plan B" will be to change her return flight to arrive in Seattle (she has a 10 year U.S. visa) and I go pick her up there. Biggest inconvenience of plan B is the cost. $700 airline change fee to her Vancouver - SE Asia - Vancouver ticket bought 6 months ago and the risk the border agent refuses her land crossing and sends her packing.

The airline oversea's won't let you on the plane to Vancouver with an expired PR card, hence the Plan B mentioned above. Already had that experience with her current card that expired May 1, 2017 and we were flying back from a short trip to Palm Springs May 3rd. Had to buy her a new one way ticket to Bellingham and go pick her up there. In that case the land crossing CBSA agent commented on her expired card but let her back in.

For her PR renewal application, we had all the tickets and send them in with proof of payment etc, but were refused urgent processing, obviously, as it has now been almost 4 months from original application.

So, our experience on PR card renews is: not a great system, they are way behind in processing renewals, and there is no real way, as with passports, to pay an urgent processing fee and get a renewal in the 45 days service period they try to maintain. Lesson learned if you should start your PR card renewal 6 months before expiry........

I kinda feel sorry for folks who are PR's in Canada. Really treated very poorly by the Federal Government. Appears to be a low priority, underfunded Federal operation that processes renewals, that has not a care in the world how poorly they are treating new immigrants who are trying to follow the rules.

hazel Manuel

Nov 5, 2018
My permanent PR card will expire october 2019 and I am planning to go home for a vacation on July 2019. Can I renew my PR card early?

kamil123

Aug 29, 2018
My permanent PR card will expire october 2019 and I am planning to go home for a vacation on July 2019. Can I renew my PR card early?
If your PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months then you can apply for renewal now
earliest you can apply in Feb 2019 process is usually 100 days so you will be able to get it before july 2019