+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card renewal possible if left Canada as a minor

R

rish888

I'm going to reiterate this again just for good measure.

You can enter Canada via the US-Canada land border. You have absolutely nothing to loose trying this route.

If you don't want to deal with the uncertainty of an appeal, you can always renounce (give up) your PR status at the border. Giving up at the border will let you into Canada as a tourist for 6 months. Then once you are inside Canada, you can file an application for a study permit at the Canadian Embassy in Los Angeles by post. (You mail your application, so no need to physically go there.) Then once you get your study permit you can continue to remain in Canada and attend university.

I hope you see the main benefits in the land border route.

1: No matter what, you get to enter Canada. Either as a PR or as a tourist. (If you give up your PR status.)

2: Even in worst case scenario, which is that you give up your PR status and enter as a tourist, you can still stay in Canada by applying for a study permit.

3: There is a pretty good chance (most definitely better than the PRTD route) that you get to enter Canada as a PR and without a report. This means that all you need to do is stay in Canada for 2 years. After two years you can renew your PR card etc and travel internationally. Canadian citizenship is after 3 years.

p.s. You cannot apply for a study permit while still a PR. The embassy will deny it.

Which route you take is ultimately up to you, the above is just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Nayandeep
R

rish888

As far as immigration options after graduation, (assuming you end up studying with a study permit) I know that Quebec offers a direct route to PR for individuals who graduated from a Quebec university as long as you learn spoken French during your time there. (Almost fluently, to a B2 level)

I am not very familiar with the options other provinces offer but I quite like the Quebec scheme.

Also take note that if you enter Canada as a PR, if you choose to study in Quebec you will pay Quebec fees. To explain, Quebec has 3 fee schemes:

1: Foreign Students ($15,000/year for Masters)
2: Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Protected Persons ($7,000/year for Masters)
3: Canadian Citizens/PR/Protected Persons who are also residents of Quebec. This I super cheap, it's only like $2,000/year for Masters.

As you can see the cost of an education for Quebec residents is really low.

The reason you qualify for this is because Quebec classifies people who have lived in Canada (outside Quebec) for less than 90 days, then come to Quebec and stay more than 90 days, as Quebec residents.
Of course this is contingent upon your total time in Canada being less than 90 days, so just tally up how long you have stayed. If your total time in Canada is under 90 days then you will be a Quebec resident if you choose to study in Quebec.

This may be another reason to try saving your PR status.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You might have some difficulty claiming domestic tuition without a valid pr card. Seems a lot of universities use the pr card as proof of status for tuition.

R

rish888

You might have some difficulty claiming domestic tuition without a valid pr card. Seems a lot of universities use the pr card as proof of status for tuition.
Not sure about unis in general but I know McGill, University of Toronto, etc accept the Record of Landing.

R

rish888

Have also seen quite a few other unis that accept the Record of Landing. Can't remember all the names (think Waterloo and Queens was on the list though)

Marie1965

Dec 4, 2017
Hope someone can advise me. I was a permanent resident from 1974-1984 till my mother dragged the family back to England. Most of my education is Canadian. I had just graduated high school when we left. I am now back in Canada living with my boyfriend who is Canadian. Have I lost my PR status? What route do I take now? I hope to remain to work and study here...

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
R

rish888

Hope someone can advise me. I was a permanent resident from 1974-1984 till my mother dragged the family back to England. Most of my education is Canadian. I had just graduated high school when we left. I am now back in Canada living with my boyfriend who is Canadian. Have I lost my PR status? What route do I take now? I hope to remain to work and study here...
British citizen?

Guessing you got back into Canada on the force of your British passport?

Unless your parents ever renounced your PR status (you need to check with them for this) or the Canadian government took it away from you (which either you or your family would most probably know about) you are still a PR.

The only way to be 100% sure is to apply for a "Verification of Status." This will confirm that you are in fact still a PR. This is not necessary though if you can confirm your parents never renounced your PR status.

After you have lived in Canada for more than 2 years you can apply for a new PR card. (Though you should only do this after living for over 2 years.)

Canadian citizenship is after 3 years.

R

rish888

Do you have your original record of landing? If you do, then great. If you don't, then I recommend getting the Verification of Status to help with proving your immigration status when getting a health card, Driver's license, or enrolling in university. (Though not all will accept the Verification of Status, specifically British Columbia, it works in most places.)

The main issue is a SIN number. If you're not sure if you have one or not then you can go to Service Canada and have them look you up. If it turns out you don't have a SIN number then unfortunately you will need to wait until you have a PR card to get one. (and of course SIN is what you need to work.)

Marie1965

Dec 4, 2017
Do you have your original record of landing? If you do, then great. If you don't, then I recommend getting the Verification of Status to help with proving your immigration status when getting a health card, Driver's license, or enrolling in university. (Though not all will accept the Verification of Status, specifically British Columbia, it works in most places.)

The main issue is a SIN number. If you're not sure if you have one or not then you can go to Service Canada and have them look you up. If it turns out you don't have a SIN number then unfortunately you will need to wait until you have a PR card to get one. (and of course SIN is what you need to work.)

Marie1965

Dec 4, 2017
My parents never gave up residents status and government didn't either. Going to service Canada tomorrow to trace SIN as I worked here as a teen. I have parents original copy of landed immigrant status

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you were around 17-18 when you left in 1984, that makes you around age 50 now?

As mentioned above, you don't lose PR status unless you formally renounce it, or have it officially revoked. This doesn't usually happen unless something triggers it.

So most likely you're still a PR. However the odds of claiming you were removed as a minor as a H&C excuse is practically zero, since you had ample time to return to Canada sooner but chose not to.

So, you have a few options:
1. Sounds like you're already in Canada, so simply stay here 2 straight years without leaving even once, for any reason. Then you'll be back in compliance with the Residency Obligation, and can apply to renew your PR card. If you left for any reason, you would face the risk of having your PR residency obligation violation discovered upon next re-entry, and your PR status revoked.

2. If you become common-law or marry your Canadian boyfriend, you can renounce your PR status and have him sponsor you from scratch for PR with a family class app. This will allow you to travel in and out of Canada if you need to. Of course once you renounced status, you'd lose your SIN and would need to stop working immediately.

msaeed21

Jun 3, 2019
My recommendation:

As you are 21, I would recommend utilizing the land border Canada has with the United States to enter Canada.

One of two things could happen at the land border:

1: You are allowed to enter Canada without being reported by the immigration officer. This means your PR status is safe and all you need to do is stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving.

2: You are reported. Even if you are reported you will still be allowed to enter Canada, but you will need to appeal the report and go to an immigration tribunal (kinda like court) to retain your PR status. You can stay in Canada while waiting for your appeal hearing. If you are successful at appeal you retain your PR status. If you loose the appeal, you loose your PR status and need to leave Canada within 30 days.

If you are reported, another option you have if you don't want to bother fighting an appeal and taking your chances is to renounce your PR status at the border. If you renounce your PR status at the border they will allow you inside Canada as a visitor for 6 months. You can still enter Canada, fly back to India, then take a student visa.

If you take a student visa, you can pursue a university degree in Canada. Canada has numerous programs available for permanent residence for people who have gone to university in Canada.

p.s. Do you have your original record of landing?

Some may say go for a PRTD, and while a PRTD does make travel to Canada more convenient, my personal view is that the inconvenience of going the land border route is more than worth it for the better possibility of retaining PR status.

Best of luck!

Hi this is by far the most helpful thing I’ve read on the internet since I started researching for myself. I have a similar(ish) case, and I’ve been under a lot of stress trying to figure out what the worst case scenario could be if I tried entering back into Canada through the US border with my record of landing and an expired PR card(expired since 2008). The last time I was in Canada was 2012, and I’ve only really spent a year there. I now plan to get married to my fiancé who’s living in Canada(permanent resident) and live there with him.
Any advice? Does what you said about two years ago still apply?