+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal on H&C grounds or should I complete RO (from inside Canada)

BeenishR

Apr 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Hello,

I got my PR on 11th Aug 2018 and planned to move to Canada by 2020 after marraige. Unfortunately due to Covid I was stuck outside of Canada for 6 months(in 2020) and took sometime to windup previous employment and move to Canada. Meanwhile I had a medical surgery as well due to which I was out for another 7 months. I finally managed to move by Dec 2021 and have been residing here since then and on a permanent job. My husband is a Canadian Citizen and has been here since 6 years and also working. We have a house here and some family and friends. Also I am having medical treatments here in Canada.
I was out of Canada for 1093 days before i moved here by Dec 2021 but had to travel twice for total 45 days to meet parents as my mother is bed ridden and cannot travel to Canada.
My PR will expire by October 2023 and I was planning to get it renewed.
1)Should I wait for RO to be complete as i will only need to stay here for another 45 days post 11th Aug 2023 to meet my RO. Or can I apply for renewal on H&C grounds to start process earlier as I have hear it takes almost a year for such applications
2) Also when i try including travel outside of Canada for other reasons, the Portal is not letting me Complete my Application and go to the main page. I have selected Yes to Time outside Canada and No to all the exceptions allowed.( this is the not submit button on main applications page)
3) When including time Out side Canada, since I never lived here I put name of just one location out of Canada whenever i shows travel timelines, should i include all location I Travelled to for work from that location as well?

Thankyou for your time and responses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I got my PR on 11th Aug 2018 and planned to move to Canada by 2020 after marraige. Unfortunately due to Covid I was stuck outside of Canada for 6 months(in 2020) and took sometime to windup previous employment and move to Canada. Meanwhile I had a medical surgery as well due to which I was out for another 7 months. I finally managed to move by Dec 2021 and have been residing here since then and on a permanent job. My husband is a Canadian Citizen and has been here since 6 years and also working. We have a house here and some family and friends. Also I am having medical treatments here in Canada.
I was out of Canada for 1093 days before i moved here by Dec 2021 but had to travel twice for total 45 days to meet parents as my mother is bed ridden and cannot travel to Canada.
My PR will expire by October 2023 and I was planning to get it renewed.
1)Should I wait for RO to be complete as i will only need to stay here for another 45 days post 11th Aug 2023 to meet my RO. Or can I apply for renewal on H&C grounds to start process earlier as I have hear it takes almost a year for such applications
2) Also when i try including travel outside of Canada for other reasons, the Portal is not letting me Complete my Application and go to the main page. I have selected Yes to Time outside Canada and No to all the exceptions allowed.( this is the not submit button on main applications page)
3) When including time Out side Canada, since I never lived here I put name of just one location out of Canada whenever i shows travel timelines, should i include all location I Travelled to for work from that location as well?

Thankyou for your time and responses.
You should only apply once you met your RO. Process to get PR card renewal based on H&C usually takes over a year with not guarantee that it will be approved. There was significant amount of time before Covid where you chose not to move to Canada so not meeting RO wasn’t due to factor beyond your control.

BeenishR

Apr 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
You should only apply once you met your RO. Process to get PR card renewal based on H&C usually takes over a year with not guarantee that it will be approved. There was significant amount of time before Covid where you chose not to move to Canada so not meeting RO wasn’t due to factor beyond your control.
Thanks, will i be legally allowed to work without valid PR card and will it afect my PR status? how will I prove my residency in this country if I don't have a valid card post October 2023?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, will i be legally allowed to work without valid PR card and will it afect my PR status? how will I prove my residency in this country if I don't have a valid card post October 2023?
You don’t need a valid PR card to work only a valid SIN#. A PR card is only really required when travelling outside of the country. You can live without a valid PR card for a long time as long as you are still a resident of Canada. Travelling outside Canada without a valid PR card is more difficult but not impossible. You can either apply for a permanent residency travel document or travel via the US land border without a valid PR card. It is not advisable to travel outside Canada if you aren’t compliant with your RO. Once the initial 5 years as PR, RO becomes a rolling requirement so you’ll need to meet the 730 days out of 5 years on any day. Some people leave to travel abroad as soon as they meet their RO and fall out of status while abroad which can be be very problematic and lead to losing your PR status so I just wanted to remind you that RO becomes a rolling requirement after the first 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeenishR

BeenishR

Apr 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
You don’t need a valid PR card to work only a valid SIN#. A PR card is only really required when travelling outside of the country. You can live without a valid PR card for a long time as long as you are still a resident of Canada. Travelling outside Canada without a valid PR card is more difficult but not impossible. You can either apply for a permanent residency travel document or travel via the US land border without a valid PR card. It is not advisable to travel outside Canada if you aren’t compliant with your RO. Once the initial 5 years as PR, RO becomes a rolling requirement so you’ll need to meet the 730 days out of 5 years on any day.
Thanks alot for all the details, this is very helpful