+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal now 299 days..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can’t compare a worldwide pandemic with a model of plane that should be grounded. Canada is trying to create new policies but they need to make sure their employees don’t get sick and there are some countries that are currently considered high risk for Canadian embassy/consulate staff to return to. These countries have high rates of covid and not enough medical care to treat most people. It also will take time to catch up on a few months of minimal processing and the pace of processing can’t be the same as it was while practicing social distancing. Yet again most PRs are in Canada and Canada has advised people not to travel so for the large majority of people waiting a bit longer for PR card renewal will not change anything for them.
Or they can convey their message on CTV W5 or whatever works for them.

amrelroby

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
We have 2 choices here:
1. either keep quiet and wait or
2. all of us continuously escalate/follow up with our MPs, Minister of Immigration and Prime Minister, every single day. Imagine if 1,000 people email these guys on a daily basis, something will be bound to change. Today, I am a PR. Tomorrow, I will be a citizen. And trust me, change will come.

This pandemic excuse is BS at this point.

I remember when 737 MAX planes were not grounded when that Ethiopian flight crashed last year. I knew people on that flight. All I could do is continuously petition and follow up with our Defence minister to ground the Canadian 737 MAX fleet. It happened, but it took lot of angry Canadians to make the government ground the fleet. Maybe not that same experience in light of the pandemic, but we won't know if we don't try.
Yes, things usually do not change unless people demand change. Emailing MPs and other officials is the way to make people in charge work on solutions. I do not expect processing times to drop to pre-COVID levels but it should be much better than 10 months.
PR cards are processed in Canada and many provinces are reopening so getting some resources allocated to PR card processing is not an impossible task if the decision-makers wanted.

You can’t compare a worldwide pandemic with a model of plane that should be grounded. Canada is trying to create new policies but they need to make sure their employees don’t get sick and there are some countries that are currently considered high risk for Canadian embassy/consulate staff to return to. These countries have high rates of covid and not enough medical care to treat most people. It also will take time to catch up on a few months of minimal processing and the pace of processing can’t be the same as it was while practicing social distancing. Yet again most PRs are in Canada and Canada has advised people not to travel so for the large majority of people waiting a bit longer for PR card renewal will not change anything for them.
Waiting for a bit more longer!!
The processing time is 10 months.
Even if you applied in February (at the beginning of the crisis) you still have 6 months to go.
That is more than a bit, not counting people who applied later or will apply soon.
PR cards are processed in Canada, not in an embassy abroad.
If the processing times continue to be this high,
IRCC will end up with many applications for PRTD which are processed in the Canadian embassy abroad.
I do not want even to guess how long these processing times will be

Or they can convey their message on CTV W5 or whatever works for them.
Yes, talking to the media is a legitimate way to put pressure and change things.
Maybe this is not an important story now, but, someone eventually will listen if we continue to talk.
According to IRCC, we have 10 months to wait, so plenty of time to talk until someone listens.
Nothing to lose really.

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
I see the times have changed again today (95 New) and 287 (renewal). Taking this with a pinch of salt....

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see the times have changed again today (95 New) and 287 (renewal). Taking this with a pinch of salt....
I think this will reduce as people are gradually coming back to work...

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
The trend shows they will increase the days with minor decrease in between....next week I guess it might go above 300

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, things usually do not change unless people demand change. Emailing MPs and other officials is the way to make people in charge work on solutions. I do not expect processing times to drop to pre-COVID levels but it should be much better than 10 months.
PR cards are processed in Canada and many provinces are reopening so getting some resources allocated to PR card processing is not an impossible task if the decision-makers wanted.

Waiting for a bit more longer!!
The processing time is 10 months.
Even if you applied in February (at the beginning of the crisis) you still have 6 months to go.
That is more than a bit, not counting people who applied later or will apply soon.
PR cards are processed in Canada, not in an embassy abroad.
If the processing times continue to be this high,
IRCC will end up with many applications for PRTD which are processed in the Canadian embassy abroad.
I do not want even to guess how long these processing times will be

Yes, talking to the media is a legitimate way to put pressure and change things.
Maybe this is not an important story now, but, someone eventually will listen if we continue to talk.
According to IRCC, we have 10 months to wait, so plenty of time to talk until someone listens.
Nothing to lose really.
If people want to travel without PR card they’ll need a PRTD which is processed abroad. Due to covid there are limited staff or offices are closed. You can apply to renew your PR card many months early if you need your PR card at a certain point.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If people want to travel without PR card they’ll need a PRTD which is processed abroad. Due to covid there are limited staff or offices are closed. You can apply to renew your PR card many months early if you need your PR card at a certain point.
The heading suggested that people had applied the PR card and waited for at least 299 days. Isn't that enough?

amrelroby

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
I am sure everyone who already has a valid PR and realizes how long the current processing times will apply as soon as he can.
I think you can submit your application up to 9 months before the current card expires.
I assume this will increase the number of PR card renewal applications significantly and increase the backlog.
However, many unlucky people did not anticipate COVID and that processing will jump from 27 days to 299 (or 287 ) days and already got caught in this situation.

I really do not understand all these justifications put forward for this current situation, like
* No one will travel anyway (everyone needs to travel sooner or later, according to their personnel situation)
* Most PR are inside Canada (Not all are inside and some can get trapped/delayed abroad)
* IRCC can not work remotely (Many government agents are already working remotely)
* PR cards are not a priority (yes they are not a priority, but 0% processing since Feb 10, 2020!!!)
* Few people work in IRCC (all provinces are reopening, is it this dangerous to work in IRCC offices? they do not interact with the public)
Nothing really that justifies the 10 months processing times.

Last week, I talked with the MP office for my area,
they told me that their office has over 60 cases pending with IRCC (some with very urgent personnel issues).
The MP office told me that they could not get any answer from IRCC for weeks now.
After this crisis pass, there should be a detailed review of how the various government agencies handled this crisis
and why some seem to get paralyzed and unable to adapt?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I really do not understand all these justifications put forward for this current situation, like
* No one will travel anyway (everyone needs to travel sooner or later, according to their personnel situation)
* Most PR are inside Canada (Not all are inside and some can get trapped/delayed abroad)
* IRCC can not work remotely (Many government agents are already working remotely)
* PR cards are not a priority (yes they are not a priority, but 0% processing since Feb 10, 2020!!!)
* Few people work in IRCC (all provinces are reopening, is it this dangerous to work in IRCC offices? they do not interact with the public)
Nothing really that justifies the 10 months processing times.
I suspect there are two very different discussions taking place in this topic. Which, actually, is not at all unusual here.

Most of what you list as "justifications," are offered merely as explanations or descriptions about what is actually happening, with some reference to why, the latter more or less to help put the *what* into context. The overriding *what* being the relegation of PR card processing to a low priority with the rather obvious result that it is going to be a long while before PRs are issued and delivered a new PR card.

But as more than a few recent posts suggest, even if there is scant direct evidence, at least some here are optimistic that things are headed toward improvement, despite apprehending there will be a new-normal rather than the pre-Covid-19 normal, and even though there is little promise, if any, about how quickly IRCC will get things more or less back on track (with the probability leaning toward less).

I suppose the main disconnect could be rooted in the effort of many here to stay focused on practical information which affected PRs can consider in making personal decisions versus the intrusion of activist rhetoric. Nothing wrong with the latter, per se, but more than a few of those who make an effort to help are more focused on the former, helping each other figure out what is going on and how to better navigate it going forward, which includes monitoring changes and watching for signs of progress.

I suppose some may have difficulty sorting and distinguishing commentary about one versus the other, and sure it can be confusing if someone is looking for personal action-plan assistance, and rather than observations that will help figure out what options are actually and practically available (which requires a frank assessment of what is not realistically an option), for one as an individual with a compelling need to travel, they have to wade through what is more or less an activist agenda . . .
. . . and, perhaps just as confusing the other way around, for those looking for a more or less activist action-plan to influence how the government handles these matters but having to wade through explanations and descriptions of what is happening oriented toward a frank acknowledgement about the nature and scope of limited options currently available.

None of which is to pass judgment on the viability of advocating government change. But for those with real needs TODAY, confronted with making hard decisions today (such as whether to risk leaving Canada without a valid PR card), the activist-advocacy agenda does not offer much help in making those hard decisions. And, unfortunately, for the latter there is still rather little promise that IRCC will be making those decisions any easier any time soon.

I suppose those focused on the personal decision-making side find the other stuff about as tedious as the more activist-oriented find the this-is-the-reality descriptions of what, at least on a personal level, a PR needs to deal with.

Leading to . . .

Maybe keep a bucket of salt handy. Who knows what the latest timeline reporting is about?

Those affected may eventually be able to learn something of use from what IRCC posts about the timeline, but for now about all that can be reasonably discerned is that for processing PR card renewals it still appears that not much is happening.

Leading to same old same old: those affected need to take the likelihood of a long wait into account in making personal decisions.

Reactions: Orlaith

fkbanday

Star Member
Oct 16, 2011
I am a Canadian citizen. But, as an immigrant, most of my family is abroad. Including my daughter and granddaughter. I cannot travel to visit them now either. Not because I do not have proper travel documents; I have the proper documents. But because there is a real crisis and travel is highly restricted.

I might say "Think about it." But I am not here telling anyone what to do. (But sure, being old and in the way, I tend to bristle a bit when someone thinks they are entitled to tell me what to do when they aren't.)

I make no effort to defend the government. My effort is to explain what is happening as best I can discern. I agree with some criticisms. I disagree with the gratuitous whining. But mostly I try to focus on what is happening and illuminate as best we can where things are headed.

To be clear, a passport is a "travel document." In contrast, the PR card is merely a status card. There is no comparison, despite many who fail to grasp the differences.

In the meantime access to obtaining a PR Travel Document is difficult for the same reason that access to a new PR card is difficult.

Sure, but for the impact of the Covid-19 crisis, using a PR TD to travel back to Canada can be very inconvenient for SOME (for most, it really is not), but outside the bubble of narcissism, personal convenience no where near approaches what is "essential" or "necessary."

Note, too, that unlike Canadian citizens, the Canadian Charter of Rights does not protect a PR's international mobility. This is just how it is. Some may believe it should be otherwise. But it is what it is. Processing PR cards is not an essential priority UNLESS the PR petitions for urgent processing based on legitimate grounds (but unfortunately, these applications appear to be bogged down by scores of requests by those whose "urgent" need is, so to say, not especially urgent).

These are related. Not all complaints are created equal. Not all "urgent" needs are created equal.

I did not and do not dismiss all the concerns.

Canada is currently restricting the vast majority of international travel . . . with exceptions for travel that is essential and non-discretionary.

We have family on the other side of town who we were isolated from for months (yeah, we know many were not following the lockdown guidelines . . . pox to them . . . we have). With some issues. And as an immigrant, most of my family is abroad, and I continue to be isolated from them . . . even the ones who are not all that far away but on the U.S. side of the border.

Leading to . . .

And lots and lots and lots of issues. Some big ones. Some really big ones. Like life and death itself.

Business people I know are not at all likely to recover from this. Others are out of work and struggling badly due to this. People I know who suffer from certain disadvantages are suffering badly from this. It is an unmitigated disaster. A crisis. And oh yeah, many thousands have DIED, and many more will die.

The government is scrambling to meet the most pressing needs. I do not say this to defend them. I say this to observe the obvious: it's a mess out there, still getting messier by the day. Anyone expecting a reallocation of government resources to PR card application processing anytime soon is not dealing with the reality. And those demanding action soon, at the expense of other government services, deserve as much criticism as anyone.
I agree with all you said but the problem here is different. The processing time for new PR card has been reduced to 94 days and Govt is announcing policies on extending citizenships by descent and also on how to process new applicants for PR express entry while ignoring PR card renewals.
PR card renewal should take priority over express entry visas atleast

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree with all you said but the problem here is different. The processing time for new PR card has been reduced to 94 days and Govt is announcing policies on extending citizenships by descent and also on how to process new applicants for PR express entry while ignoring PR card renewals.
PR card renewal should take priority over express entry visas atleast
What announcement about expanding citizenship by descent? PR card renewal and express entry are processed by different departments. You can’t just move people that easily. Most people don’t need their PR card since the government is advising not to travel out of Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

What announcement about expanding citizenship by descent? PR card renewal and express entry are processed by different departments. You can’t just move people that easily. Most people don’t need their PR card since the government is advising not to travel out of Canada.
1. The poster is probably referring to giving citizenship by descent to children of surrogates where there is no genetic connection to the citizen parents.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The citizenship by descent was already likely written before covid and just had to be announced. These things don’t happen quickly.

geekygod

Nov 21, 2017
Hi all, I have a small question regarding PR Cards. Lets say as a new permanent resident, I leave the country after a month to go to my country and finish off some business. From there I apply a PRTD to come back to Canada. My question is that my PR Card which would now have arrived at my relative's house - will they become invalid because I applied for PRTD saying that I don't have access to my PR Card? Does this mean that I will have to apply for a fresh PR Card monce I come back to Canada?