+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal now 299 days..

Jun 19, 2020
Hi

1. CIC employees processing applications query CPIC, FBI system, US state criminal systems, GCMS, FOSS. System that the employee's working from home would not be able to access.

Let's say it is indeed impossible to process PR cards now. If the CIC was concerned with the health of essential travelers on expired PR cards, and all Canadians for that matter, then they would notify air carriers that expired PR cards are still valid for another year. This would also give them a break as some PRs may receive passports sooner than they need to apply for PR extension. Instead, they have made a choice to make essential travels of expired PR card holders longer and expose them to a greater risk of catching a disease while waiting for the PRTD or going through the US land border unnecessarily.

Reactions: bruno5000

desertrose416

Star Member
May 20, 2020
I am seriously hoping the the jump to 299 was a simple error. The website states that "This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications, in the past." If this was accurate it would mean that the office is only working on applications from August 2019 and I cannot really see how this could be the case. Perhaps things will slowly start to get up an running again and we can all get on with returning to some version of normal! Best of luck everyone. Keep us all posted!

it might be based on historical number on application volume. Example, we have 100 cases as of x date, average processing takes x days. It can very well be 299 days if renewal applications are piling up.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am seriously hoping the the jump to 299 was a simple error. The website states that "This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications, in the past." If this was accurate it would mean that the office is only working on applications from August 2019 and I cannot really see how this could be the case.
At the least, correct, the currently posted processing time is NOT based on the same information it was before Covid-19 measures were implemented.

There are relatively reliable reports that applications received up to February 10, 2020 were actually processed. If the posted timeline still derived from the same information as before, it should be around 150 days (based on historically most PR card applications resulted in a decision and issuance of the new card within days to a few weeks of AOR; obviously, with exceptions for non-routine cases). And it would basically increase by 7 days as each week passed since very few PR card applications are being processed (with the caveat this could change any day . . . and of course that is what scores are hoping for, that IRCC soon begins processing way more of these).

But the posted timeline jumped to 174 days quite awhile ago, and since then it bounced up and back and now way up again.

It is not clear what the current information is based on. @desertrose416 may be right or at least in the ballpark.

Does not illuminate much. As IRCC clearly cautions, they are not currently able to process applications normally, and it is clear that PR card applications are not prioritized (with some exceptions). It is going to be awhile. Perhaps a long while. Obviously, those affected need to take this information into account in making decisions about potential travel.

Reactions: desertrose416

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
At the least, correct, the currently posted processing time is NOT based on the same information it was before Covid-19 measures were implemented.

There are relatively reliable reports that applications received up to February 10, 2020 were actually processed. If the posted timeline still derived from the same information as before, it should be around 150 days (based on historically most PR card applications resulted in a decision and issuance of the new card within days to a few weeks of AOR; obviously, with exceptions for non-routine cases). And it would basically increase by 7 days as each week passed since very few PR card applications are being processed (with the caveat this could change any day . . . and of course that is what scores are hoping for, that IRCC soon begins processing way more of these).

But the posted timeline jumped to 174 days quite awhile ago, and since then it bounced up and back and now way up again.

It is not clear what the current information is based on. @desertrose416 may be right or at least in the ballpark.

Does not illuminate much. As IRCC clearly cautions, they are not currently able to process applications normally, and it is clear that PR card applications are not prioritized (with some exceptions). It is going to be awhile. Perhaps a long while. Obviously, those affected need to take this information into account in making decisions about potential travel.
Thanks very much for the responses. Its aways helpful to hear perspectives. As a Feb applicant for Renewal of PR card I must have just literally missed the window...... I had initially thought it might be the end of March - then April... then........
I know we are all in different boats in the same storm. There are lots of tricky times to manoeuvre but hopefully we will all get there in the end. Best of luck to everyone!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks very much for the responses. Its aways helpful to hear perspectives. As a Feb applicant for Renewal of PR card I must have just literally missed the window...... I had initially thought it might be the end of March - then April... then........
I know we are all in different boats in the same storm. There are lots of tricky times to manoeuvre but hopefully we will all get there in the end. Best of luck to everyone!
Assume you will get your PR card unless you need secondary review.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Let's say it is indeed impossible to process PR cards now. If the CIC was concerned with the health of essential travelers on expired PR cards, and all Canadians for that matter, then they would notify air carriers that expired PR cards are still valid for another year. This would also give them a break as some PRs may receive passports sooner than they need to apply for PR extension. Instead, they have made a choice to make essential travels of expired PR card holders longer and expose them to a greater risk of catching a disease while waiting for the PRTD or going through the US land border unnecessarily.
So those who haven’t met their PR get a free pass? They’ll get an extension as well? Giving everyone extensions, since you couldn’t just do it for a few cases, would take a similar amount of manpower and would need to be done in the office where privacy issues can be addressed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

So those who haven’t met their PR get a free pass? They’ll get an extension as well? Giving everyone extensions, since you couldn’t just do it for a few cases, would take a similar amount of manpower and would need to be done in the office where privacy issues can be addressed.
1. Unlikely that CIC will be giving any "free passes" to those that don't meet their RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

1. Unlikely that CIC will be giving any "free passes" to those that don't meet their RO.
Agree. @VeryCommonSenseis suggesting that everyone waiting for PR card approval should be automatically given 1 year extension in the computer system. Don’t agree that’s it makes sense or is possible. It will just create extra work which could go towards processing.

Jun 19, 2020
Agree. @VeryCommonSenseis suggesting that everyone waiting for PR card approval should be automatically given 1 year extension in the computer system. Don’t agree that’s it makes sense or is possible. It will just create extra work which could go towards processing.
That is not what I am suggesting. You might be confusing PR status and PR card.

Someone not meeting residency obligations but still holding a valid PR card can easily board an aircraft and travel to a Canadian border by plane. Then they will face the procedures accordingly. Same could apply to those whose PR cards expired less than one year ago if they do not meet residency obligations.

No opportunity for a free pass.

Reactions: bruno5000

amrelroby

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Hi

1. CIC employees processing applications query CPIC, FBI system, US state criminal systems, GCMS, FOSS. System that the employee's working from home would not be able to access.
I do not about the feasibility of accessing these systems remotely from home or how much resources PR card renewal require.
However, I think the CRA/Service Canada managed to access private information remotely.
I do not know about the inner working of IRCC, so I can not assume too much.
I do not know if you have knowledge of their inner working but I can assume you are guessing like me?

PR card processing does not seem to take too much time after AOR (a few days to couple of weeks for uncomplicated applications)
So assigning few resources to chip away this huge backlog should not impact other services.
I mean IRCC issued PR invitations and CoPR to many applicants recently, so they are not completely paralyzed.
PR card renewal is stuck since February 10 !!!
If they do not start processing and let application pile up these 10 months can actually go up.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
I think the solution is to extend the validity of the expired PR cards by 365 days.

This would allow to escape the false dichotomy of CIC employees' health vs convenience of PR holders. There is no reason to compromise any of these. After all, the card expiration has nothing to do with maintaining the PR status.
This is a simple and elegant solution.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Wow, a lot of strong views on both sides. Up until COVID, my experience with IRCC has been fine. But being witness over the past few months to quick/smart/thoughtful changes that a variety of organizations have made to adapt to COVID, it's quite clear to me that IRCC has dropped the ball. For those of you that are waiting for your PR cards, sincerely hope IRCC gets their act together, and things move fast. This "have you noticed a pandemic" argument is getting a bit stale, and is perplexing to anybody who runs large organizations, and recognizes the importance of being responsive and agile.

desertrose416

Star Member
May 20, 2020
We have 2 choices here:
1. either keep quiet and wait or
2. all of us continuously escalate/follow up with our MPs, Minister of Immigration and Prime Minister, every single day. Imagine if 1,000 people email these guys on a daily basis, something will be bound to change. Today, I am a PR. Tomorrow, I will be a citizen. And trust me, change will come.

This pandemic excuse is BS at this point.

I remember when 737 MAX planes were not grounded when that Ethiopian flight crashed last year. I knew people on that flight. All I could do is continuously petition and follow up with our Defence minister to ground the Canadian 737 MAX fleet. It happened, but it took lot of angry Canadians to make the government ground the fleet. Maybe not that same experience in light of the pandemic, but we won't know if we don't try.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is not what I am suggesting. You might be confusing PR status and PR card.

Someone not meeting residency obligations but still holding a valid PR card can easily board an aircraft and travel to a Canadian border by plane. Then they will face the procedures accordingly. Same could apply to those whose PR cards expired less than one year ago if they do not meet residency obligations.

No opportunity for a free pass.
Yes some who are close to having their PR card expire would be given more time to return. One of the ways Canada prevents those from returning who haven’t met their RO is their PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have 2 choices here:
1. either keep quiet and wait or
2. all of us continuously escalate/follow up with our MPs, Minister of Immigration and Prime Minister, every single day. Imagine if 1,000 people email these guys on a daily basis, something will be bound to change. Today, I am a PR. Tomorrow, I will be a citizen. And trust me, change will come.

This pandemic excuse is BS at this point.

I remember when 737 MAX planes were not grounded when that Ethiopian flight crashed last year. I knew people on that flight. All I could do is continuously petition and follow up with our Defence minister to ground the Canadian 737 MAX fleet. It happened, but it took lot of angry Canadians to make the government ground the fleet. Maybe not that same experience in light of the pandemic, but we won't know if we don't try.
You can’t compare a worldwide pandemic with a model of plane that should be grounded. Canada is trying to create new policies but they need to make sure their employees don’t get sick and there are some countries that are currently considered high risk for Canadian embassy/consulate staff to return to. These countries have high rates of covid and not enough medical care to treat most people. It also will take time to catch up on a few months of minimal processing and the pace of processing can’t be the same as it was while practicing social distancing. Yet again most PRs are in Canada and Canada has advised people not to travel so for the large majority of people waiting a bit longer for PR card renewal will not change anything for them.