+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal: No updates at all from IRCC

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Hi All,

I Fedexed my PR Renewal documents beginning of May. It's been 4 months now. I tried checking the status online and it doesn't recognize my application.
I am getting this "We were not able to identify you using the information you provided"

How should I proceed? Who can I contact? Any pointers appreciated.

returningPR2016

Nov 25, 2016
Sorry to hear that. I sent in my PR renewal application beginning of July and haven't heard anything yet either. Have you received your AOR (Acknowledgement Of Receipt)? I haven't. Applications only show up in the online system after AOR. I can log in to the online system and don't get the error you get probably because I have a concurrent citizenship application pending. I can see the citizenship application but not the PR renewal. Not sure what to recommend though....when will your current PR card expire? How urgently do you need it, any travels planned? My card is still valid until November and I have no travels planned, so I am not that worried. I know, this might not be of much help, just wanted to tell you my situation as it is similar.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
My current PR card already expired in April.

I haven't received my AOR yet. I am on H1B. If I cross the border I won't be able to return back to Canada.

I think I will go ahead and also apply for Canadian Citizenship as well. I think I have roughly the exact days for the Citizenship. I am not sure if I will fall short by a few days if I did not factor in any vacations i took in the US. Right now the buffer is roughly a month. But I am not super sure.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Okay I'm going to reply to both of you here.

First, it appears IRCC is still working on mid-late April applicants, so it is normal that both you have not received any communications from them. Based on the current processing time, @okbangaram you can expect your AOR in maybe 2 weeks if not longer, and @returningPR2016 you can expect something in late-October or early November if not later. Again, follow the thread in the forum, and the processing time published by IRCC to get a general sense of your approx. timing. This is only for reference and nothing representative. If you have confirmed your documents have been delivered to IRCC, you are good, wait for them to contact you. Nothing much you can do to expedite that at this time.

Second, an expired PR card does NOT affect your PR status whatsoever. As long as you are in adherence with the RO, you are good. End of story. You can't enter with an expired PR card by air, boat, train or commercial buses. But you can come back with private vehicle, for example, you drive yourself back with a rental car. You can expect some questioning at the border that they ask you about your expired PR card, and they just verify your RO compliance on spot. Nothing else to be worried about. If your buffer is good (way above 730 days presence), there is no need to concern. An expired PR card does NOT mean you are no longer a PR, the only inconvenience is that you might have some hiccups when travelling, especially by air. Maybe some provincial services can be impacted depend on where you live. But in Ontario they accept expired PR card as long as it was expired less than 5 years ago. @okbangaram if you really need to travel somewhere, a PRTD might be helpful - look into it.

returningPR2016

Nov 25, 2016

First, it appears IRCC is still working on mid-late April applicants, so it is normal that both you have not received any communications from them. Based on the current processing time, @okbangaram you can expect your AOR in maybe 2 weeks if not longer, and @returningPR2016 you can expect something in late-October or early November if not later. Again, follow the thread in the forum, and the processing time published by IRCC to get a general sense of your approx. timing. This is only for reference and nothing representative. If you have confirmed your documents have been delivered to IRCC, you are good, wait for them to contact you. Nothing much you can do to expedite that at this time.

Second, an expired PR card does NOT affect your PR status whatsoever. As long as you are in adherence with the RO, you are good. End of story. You can't enter with an expired PR card by air, boat, train or commercial buses. But you can come back with private vehicle, for example, you drive yourself back with a rental car. You can expect some questioning at the border that they ask you about your expired PR card, and they just verify your RO compliance on spot. Nothing else to be worried about. If your buffer is good (way above 730 days presence), there is no need to concern. An expired PR card does NOT mean you are no longer a PR, the only inconvenience is that you might have some hiccups when travelling, especially by air. Maybe some provincial services can be impacted depend on where you live. But in Ontario they accept expired PR card as long as it was expired less than 5 years ago. @okbangaram if you really need to travel somewhere, a PRTD might be helpful - look into it.
Yeah, thanks for your clarifications and explanations. People are usually too freaked out about an expired PR card. My travels are usually international air travel, so that's the only thing that would be affected if my PR card expires. I am not worried about my PR status at all. I am also not worried that I haven't received my AOR yet, I am still well within the known time frames. I also hear stories where people get their AOR a day before 'Decision made', so constantly checking the application status might not be that helpful anyway. Totally agree with you, we just wait until we get contacted.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
@BadGamer6 thanks for your reply! It was useful.

The reason I am concerned about my PR renewal is this:
7. Copy of proof of your legal status in Canada

I am applying for my H1B visa stamping via dropbox and they are asking for a copy of proof of legal status in Canada.
I wasn't sure if a copy of expired PR card would suffice.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
@BadGamer6 thanks for your reply! It was useful.

The reason I am concerned about my PR renewal is this:
7. Copy of proof of your legal status in Canada

I am applying for my H1B visa stamping via dropbox and they are asking for a copy of proof of legal status in Canada.
I wasn't sure if a copy of expired PR card would suffice.
Probably not because there's a clear expiry date on a PR card. Try your COPR.

I haven't received my AOR yet. I am on H1B. If I cross the border I won't be able to return back to Canada.
Not true. You can cross via land with a COPR or apply for a PRTD.

Reactions: BadGamer6

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015

Thanks @BadGamer6 ! Got the AOR today just around 8 days since I made the post! Finally! I thought I needed to send in another application or something. I am glad I asked here!

My Timeline.

Sent it on May 3rd.
Got the AOR on Sept 2nd.

122 days. is what it took me.

Now, I have to wait to see how much longer they will take to actually renew the PR. Or if they need additional documentation or clarification.

• Love
Reactions: BadGamer6

mdmalton

Sep 6, 2021
I am Permanent Resident of Canada applied for PR Card renewal.

Please advise my Permanent Residence visa is valid till Dec 2021 as I landed in Toronto in Feb 2021 with valid PRTD visa valid till Dec 2021 in passport.
What if I did not received my PR Card till Dec 2021, as IRCC is very busy.

Application Timeline

Application sent on 12/03/2021 delivered in IRCC on 19/03/2021
Application returned by IRCC dated on 25.05.2021 received by me on 17.06.2021, reason photographs and again signing of application as >90 days
Resend application on 24.06.2021

Please advise.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto

Please advise my Permanent Residence visa is valid till Dec 2021 as I landed in Toronto in Feb 2021 with valid PRTD visa valid till Dec 2021 in passport.

Application Timeline

Application returned by IRCC dated on 25.05.2021 received by me on 17.06.2021, reason photographs and again signing of application as >90 days

Please advise.
Why did you even get a renewal?????? You said you landed in Toronto in Feb 2021? Are you not a new PR?

Something clearly doesn't add up here.

mdmalton

Sep 6, 2021
Why did you even get a renewal?????? You said you landed in Toronto in Feb 2021? Are you not a new PR?

Something clearly doesn't add up here.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto

Application Timeline

Please advise.
Regardless of your PR visa or PRTD - let's assume that you are mentioning about the same thing. And in this instance I'm gonna assume that you are already a PR waiting for a renewal.

Nothing will happen - virtually nothing. Your card's expiry date - nor the validity of the PRTD affects your PR status whatsoever. I don't know why Dec 2021 might be significant for you. Your PR status is not related with the validity of your card or your PRTD whatsoever. The expiry date on your PRTD is just for you as a reference to know the validity of that document - end of story. Your PR status is only depended on your physical presence in Canada, as long as you are compliant to the 2 years in 5 years rule - you are good. Nothing to worry about.

mdmalton

Sep 6, 2021
Regardless of your PR visa or PRTD - let's assume that you are mentioning about the same thing. And in this instance I'm gonna assume that you are already a PR waiting for a renewal.

Nothing will happen - virtually nothing. Your card's expiry date - nor the validity of the PRTD affects your PR status whatsoever. I don't know why Dec 2021 might be significant for you. Your PR status is not related with the validity of your card or your PRTD whatsoever. The expiry date on your PRTD is just for you as a reference to know the validity of that document - end of story. Your PR status is only depended on your physical presence in Canada, as long as you are compliant to the 2 years in 5 years rule - you are good. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for your reply, actually forget to mentioned I spend long period abroad back home due to family reason living with my Canadian spouse and on that basis I applied and issued PRTD visa R-1 without problem and landed here and applied for PR card renewal.

Any advise
Thanks

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Thanks for your reply, actually forget to mentioned I spend long period abroad back home due to family reason living with my Canadian spouse and on that basis I applied and issued PRTD visa R-1 without problem and landed here and applied for PR card renewal.

Any advise
Thanks
Are you by any chance stayed 730 days in the past 5 years in Canada?

mdmalton

Sep 6, 2021
No I stayed outside of Canada for more than 5 years but with my Canadian spouse and if you are living with Canadian spouse without any break for the last 5 years then you are eligible and on that basis I applied and got PRTD visa, IRCC checked all the required documents for residential, proofs of relationship before they issued visa, even 2 times as 1st time was expired due to lockdown etc. it was big big emails sent to them with almost 70-80 pages attachments.

any advise.