+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal - In person interview at IRCC Etobicoke office

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
@Kalandar --Overall: if you have a significant amount of evidence of your residency and presence, and the calculation of 733 days in Canada between May 2016 and April 30, 2021 is accurate, and you likewise have evidence regarding residency and presence in Canada since July 1, 2021, so that you now have > 1000 days credit for presence between November 17, 2017 and November 17, 2022 . . . That should resolve IRCC's concerns.

But it could still take awhile to get a new PR card. And I am not certain.

First, it is highly unlikely you will get a PR card, either a 5-year or a 1-year card, at the interview, and given other reports about production issues, perhaps not for quite awhile. If you travel abroad you will probably need to rely on getting a PR Travel Document to return to Canada.

Secondly, I cannot guess why, in particular, IRCC has concerns about your admissibility, your RO compliance, at this stage. So I cannot guess how serious those concerns are. It is very possible that your appearance at the interview and presentation of information will readily, almost easily, totally satisfy whatever concerns have led to this. And you will be approved for a five year card. In fact, that would be my best guess as to what is likely . . . except, based on the facts you describe, I would have guessed that outcome, card approved and delivered, before now, without having to attend a Residency Determination examination.

As for the difference between a five year and one year card, and when the latter might be issued rather than a five year card, that is specified in the regulations, Section 54 in the IRPR (Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations), which you can see here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-8.html#h-686316 The regulation which requires the application to be made "in Canada" is Section 56(2)(a) can be seen there as well.

You mentioned "Until this summer the requirement to be "in" Canada when making a PR card application was in large part unenforceable ", does that mean the issue might not be my sending the application from abroad . . ..

Applying from abroad was probably what triggered, or a big factor in what triggered, IRCC having issues with your case. There is no indication that is what is problematic now except to the extent it may influence perceptions about your credibility.

What triggers non-routine processing, or increased levels of scrutiny, are often not the primary focus of the non-routine processing or increased scrutiny that then takes place. The application from abroad, particularly in conjunction with cutting-it-so-close to the RO, almost certainly is what triggered the initial referral for non-routine processing (speculating some, but it appears your application was in Secondary Review for a year or so before it was referred to the local office for a Residency Determination).

Based on what you have indicated about the communication from IRCC, it looks like this is specifically about RO compliance. BUT you say your April 30, 2021 application was made with 733 days credit, so was made when you were in RO compliance. So IRCC should have approved the application and issued a five year card . . . UNLESS it has reason to question whether you were actually IN Canada 733 days during that time.

And this is still what would ordinarily be expected, even though following the fifth year anniversary of your landing, in May 2021, you were in breach of the RO by a little (due to being outside Canada and losing credit for the days in the summer of 2016 as they fell outside the relevant five years . . . something you and I actually discussed in this forum in the summer of 2021).

But considering your return in July 2021 and presence here since, that really should not be the problem.

So, as I said above, it is very possible that your appearance at the interview and presentation of information will readily, almost easily, totally satisfy whatever concerns have led to this. And you will be approved for a five year card. Which, however, it will still take awhile to actually get.

I am not certain of that (no guarantees). A lot depends on the accuracy of your information.

I previously mentioned the possibility that at some point IRCC already prepared a 44(1) Report . . . which technically it could have done during the period of time you were in breach of the RO following the fifth year anniversary of your landing (until you had been back in Canada long enough after July 1, 2021 to get back into RO compliance). But we do not see that sort of overly strict gotcha-enforcement by IRCC in any other case . . . and even if that is what has happened (noting this does not seem likely), even if that happened, your evidence documenting presence during the first five years and your return and presence since July 2021 should easily tip the scales toward a positive Residency Determination . . . and even if not, yes, just the impact of Covid in 2020 up to July 2021 should readily be enough for H&C relief.
Today I called IRCC and they confirmed that they have my PR card printed and its at the IRCC local office, and will be only given if the officer is satisfied with the interview. Moreover, I read the following article which says the IRCC-Sydney do send out the PR card to the local office, but as you mentioned, its not for certain they would had over the card on the day of interview. Surprising fact is there aren't many or posts in the internet about this instance to understand the experience of people went through similar situation. So, it seems I need to wait and face the heat to know where do I stand in regards to my PR status and card,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Today I called IRCC and they confirmed that they have my PR card printed and its at the IRCC local office, and will be only given if the officer is satisfied with the interview. Moreover, I read the following article which says the IRCC-Sydney do send out the PR card to the local office, but as you mentioned, its not for certain they would had over the card on the day of interview. Surprising fact is there aren't many or posts in the internet about this instance to understand the experience of people went through similar situation. So, it seems I need to wait and face the heat to know where do I stand in regards to my PR status and card,
Looks like I probably have been approaching this overly cautiously.

As I noted in my previous post (but then beat a cautionary drum to excess):
Overall: if you have a significant amount of evidence of your residency and presence, and the calculation of 733 days in Canada between May 2016 and April 30, 2021 is accurate, and you likewise have evidence regarding residency and presence in Canada since July 1, 2021, so that you now have > 1000 days credit for presence between November 17, 2017 and November 17, 2022 . . . That should resolve IRCC's concerns.

And based on this latest telephone call, that should mean actually being given a five year PR card at the interview.

Longer explanation:

Assuming the agent you spoke with can be trusted, and the observation about the PR card having been printed is based on the agent seeing this in YOUR GCMS file (that is, rather than being based on general procedure applicable in most cases), this would be good news and mean that I was wrong about the likelihood of a PR card being delivered at the time of the interview, meaning the odds of getting a PR card delivered to you at this examination/interview should be very good.

(One might hedge their bets, given the call you recorded in which a call centre agent said it was OK to send the PR card application while you were abroad. But in addition to hoping this latest call is more reliable than that one, this one actually makes sense.)

The PDI (Program Delivery Instruction) you reference, regarding processing complex PR card applications (replacing Operational Bulletin 536) explains what I have said about the application from abroad triggering the non-routine Secondary Review, processing a complex PR card case, but as you can see what follows is not about where the PR was at the time the application was made, but primarily about verifying RO compliance and related matters.

My more cautionary observations have been rooted in recognizing the range of RISKS and being prepared. It is nice to be pleasantly surprised when things go more smoothly than feared. It can be rough to be surprised by things not going so well and being unprepared.

Which brings up another mistake I made. I overlooked an important detail in your first post, regarding what the letter from IRCC said. You said the letter says:
In order for IRCC to determine if the PR card that was created for you has the appropriate period of validity and can be distributed to you, or if a PR card of a different validity period should be prepared and issued to you, your attendance is required . . .
Adding some emphasis to highlight the detail I overlooked:
In order for IRCC to determine if the PR card that was created for you has the appropriate period of validity and can be distributed to you, or if a PR card of a different validity period should be prepared and issued to you, your attendance is required . . .

This detail, "the PR card that was created for you . . . ," that I overlooked, makes a big difference. That is consistent with the PDI you referenced, regarding processing complex PR card cases, where it says:
The IRCC office advises the applicant that a PR card was prepared for them
The IRCC office sends the applicant the template letter Notice to collect PR card in person - first notice advising that a PR card has been prepared for them and that they must visit the IRCC office, at the date and time indicated on the letter, to allow an officer to confirm if the period of validity of the PR card that was created is appropriate, or if a PR card of a different validity period should be prepared and issued.

Sorry that I overlooked that detail. That obviates much of the apprehension about the level of IRCC's concerns. It is clear that IRCC mostly is now doing due diligence to verify your presence . . . as long as you bring a reasonable amount of documentation supporting your residency and presence, this should go very EASILY.

I probably elevated your stress levels disproportionately . . . but it has been a worthwhile discussion, helping to work through and better clarify what we know about the process in such cases. So it should help provide better information to others who encounter this procedure. I appreciate how you have worked through this and what you have contributed to improving our understanding.

Reactions: Ponga and Kalandar

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Looks like I probably have been approaching this overly cautiously.

As I noted in my previous post (but then beat a cautionary drum to excess):
Overall: if you have a significant amount of evidence of your residency and presence, and the calculation of 733 days in Canada between May 2016 and April 30, 2021 is accurate, and you likewise have evidence regarding residency and presence in Canada since July 1, 2021, so that you now have > 1000 days credit for presence between November 17, 2017 and November 17, 2022 . . . That should resolve IRCC's concerns.

And based on this latest telephone call, that should mean actually being given a five year PR card at the interview.

Longer explanation:

Assuming the agent you spoke with can be trusted, and the observation about the PR card having been printed is based on the agent seeing this in YOUR GCMS file (that is, rather than being based on general procedure applicable in most cases), this would be good news and mean that I was wrong about the likelihood of a PR card being delivered at the time of the interview, meaning the odds of getting a PR card delivered to you at this examination/interview should be very good.

(One might hedge their bets, given the call you recorded in which a call centre agent said it was OK to send the PR card application while you were abroad. But in addition to hoping this latest call is more reliable than that one, this one actually makes sense.)

The PDI (Program Delivery Instruction) you reference, regarding processing complex PR card applications (replacing Operational Bulletin 536) explains what I have said about the application from abroad triggering the non-routine Secondary Review, processing a complex PR card case, but as you can see what follows is not about where the PR was at the time the application was made, but primarily about verifying RO compliance and related matters.

My more cautionary observations have been rooted in recognizing the range of RISKS and being prepared. It is nice to be pleasantly surprised when things go more smoothly than feared. It can be rough to be surprised by things not going so well and being unprepared.

Which brings up another mistake I made. I overlooked an important detail in your first post, regarding what the letter from IRCC said. You said the letter says:
Adding some emphasis to highlight the detail I overlooked:

This detail, "the PR card that was created for you . . . ," that I overlooked, makes a big difference. That is consistent with the PDI you referenced, regarding processing complex PR card cases, where it says:
The IRCC office advises the applicant that a PR card was prepared for them
The IRCC office sends the applicant the template letter Notice to collect PR card in person - first notice advising that a PR card has been prepared for them and that they must visit the IRCC office, at the date and time indicated on the letter, to allow an officer to confirm if the period of validity of the PR card that was created is appropriate, or if a PR card of a different validity period should be prepared and issued.

Sorry that I overlooked that detail. That obviates much of the apprehension about the level of IRCC's concerns. It is clear that IRCC mostly is now doing due diligence to verify your presence . . . as long as you bring a reasonable amount of documentation supporting your residency and presence, this should go very EASILY.

I probably elevated your stress levels disproportionately . . . but it has been a worthwhile discussion, helping to work through and better clarify what we know about the process in such cases. So it should help provide better information to others who encounter this procedure. I appreciate how you have worked through this and what you have contributed to improving our understanding.
I must say you are the one the most prolific writers who presents his thoughts so gracefully. You have always provided great inputs in all my previous posts and for people all these years, and the posts you have are really elaborative which so in depth analysis about the issues, which is so rare to find. In short I would day, the service and guidance you are offering to to help people is extraordinary.

Now I am highly hopeful that the proceedings would be pretty smooth provided I have all the documents to cover there concerns. I haven't seen any post which has really explained the experience about the in person interview in such cases. Hence I would definitely would like to bring forth my day at the IRCC local office this post which might give certain idea on the same. Again your efforts are always appreciated and I am thankful for taking this effort to guide me all the way. By the way have you ever thought of writing a book - Your writing style is amazing and captivating :)

salahuddin2

May 1, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-09-2017
I must say you are the one the most prolific writers who presents his thoughts so gracefully. You have always provided great inputs in all my previous posts and for people all these years, and the posts you have are really elaborative which so in depth analysis about the issues, which is so rare to find. In short I would day, the service and guidance you are offering to to help people is extraordinary.

Now I am highly hopeful that the proceedings would be pretty smooth provided I have all the documents to cover there concerns. I haven't seen any post which has really explained the experience about the in person interview in such cases. Hence I would definitely would like to bring forth my day at the IRCC local office this post which might give certain idea on the same. Again your efforts are always appreciated and I am thankful for taking this effort to guide me all the way. By the way have you ever thought of writing a book - Your writing style is amazing and captivating :)

Hi @Kalandar ... how did it go .. Were you able to collect PR card WITHOUT interview or a proper interview was taken ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi @Kalandar ... how did it go .. Were you able to collect PR card WITHOUT interview or a proper interview was taken ?
You will likely find information here more helpful if you read enough of what has been posted to understand the context.

For example, @Kalandar has reported being scheduled for an interview November 17, 2022 . . . which means it will not happen for nearly two more weeks. Kind of hard to respond to "how did it go?" before it happens.

While the letter you have received may be very similar to the letter that @Kalandar received, beyond that the context is clearly different than your situation, so this discussion is not likely to illuminate much for you. @Kalandar may need to resort to H&C reasons (but probably will not need to do this), but unlike your situation the PR card application itself was not dependent on H&C relief, was made when @Kalandar was in compliance with the Residency Obligation, and it warrants emphasizing @Kalandar is currently in Canada and currently is clearly in RO compliance. These are all significant differences, and likely are important differences.

Which is to say that @Kalandar's experience is NOT likely to illuminate much about your situation or what is likely to happen in your case.

Further Response to Query Posed in Other Thread:

Hello all,
I have received letter from IRCC to collect PR card from Etobicoke on 10th Nov 2022. However I am outside Canada and cannot meet this deadline.
Please tell if some one was able to reshcule the appointement and how ? my case is H&C and not meeting the RO.. and have been asked to come in person inteview.
are there chances that i wont get a PR card ?
I have no personal experience and cannot recall the posts in particular, but my recollection is that yes some PRs who have been notified of a scheduled date for an interview in regards to a PR card application have reported being able to reschedule. As best I recall, however, the notice they received included information about how to contact IRCC if the PR was not able appear as scheduled. Obviously you are running out of time to reschedule. Since you are abroad, and most likely cannot reach IRCC by telephone, you need to make a concerted effort to review your file and this notification in deciding how to proceed. If you can communicate through email or webform, that can be done in time to avoid an unexplained no-show, and it is important to do that if you can.

In any event, to get a PR card you will need to show up IN PERSON and be interviewed. The notice you got should include further detail and say whether you will need to present supporting documents at the interview.

Whether or not a PR card will be delivered to you when you appear for the interview is very difficult to predict. It depends. It depends on many factors. It MIGHT depend on how long you have been outside Canada this time, and what the circumstances are. It is, after all, unusual for a PR to apply for a PR card based on H&C reasons and in the meantime go outside Canada; the reason this is unusual is in part because the time to make the H&C case is when the PR is in Canada, or at least coming (such as in the context of a PR Travel Document application), TO STAY. Reminder: H&C relief does not entirely restart the Residency Obligation clock. For a PR who has been afforded H&C relief it remains risky to spend an extended period of time abroad before they have spent at least two of the preceding five years actually IN Canada.

Note: not all "interviews" for PRs with PR card applications are the same. They range from a counter-interview attendant an in-person PR card pickup to interviews for conducting a formal Residency Determination, with variations in-between, including a range in how probing or challenging the interview is. Many times the requirement to appear in person to pickup a newly issued PR card is primarily aimed at verifying the PR is physically in Canada.

Even at the other end of the range, where a formal Residency Determination is involved, what happens in practice can range from relatively perfunctory questions for verification of information, to something more like a formal and official hearing. Risks range accordingly. For example, after sorting through the precise language in the notice and substantial details in his case, it appears very likely that the interview scheduled for @Kalandar will be closer to the former, largely perfunctory (notwithstanding some earlier apprehension of a more probing, challenging examination).

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
You will likely find information here more helpful if you read enough of what has been posted to understand the context.

For example, @Kalandar has reported being scheduled for an interview November 17, 2022 . . . which means it will not happen for nearly two more weeks. Kind of hard to respond to "how did it go?" before it happens.

While the letter you have received may be very similar to the letter that @Kalandar received, beyond that the context is clearly different than your situation, so this discussion is not likely to illuminate much for you. @Kalandar may need to resort to H&C reasons (but probably will not need to do this), but unlike your situation the PR card application itself was not dependent on H&C relief, was made when @Kalandar was in compliance with the Residency Obligation, and it warrants emphasizing @Kalandar is currently in Canada and currently is clearly in RO compliance. These are all significant differences, and likely are important differences.

Which is to say that @Kalandar's experience is NOT likely to illuminate much about your situation or what is likely to happen in your case.

Further Response to Query Posed in Other Thread:

I have no personal experience and cannot recall the posts in particular, but my recollection is that yes some PRs who have been notified of a scheduled date for an interview in regards to a PR card application have reported being able to reschedule. As best I recall, however, the notice they received included information about how to contact IRCC if the PR was not able appear as scheduled. Obviously you are running out of time to reschedule. Since you are abroad, and most likely cannot reach IRCC by telephone, you need to make a concerted effort to review your file and this notification in deciding how to proceed. If you can communicate through email or webform, that can be done in time to avoid an unexplained no-show, and it is important to do that if you can.

In any event, to get a PR card you will need to show up IN PERSON and be interviewed. The notice you got should include further detail and say whether you will need to present supporting documents at the interview.

Whether or not a PR card will be delivered to you when you appear for the interview is very difficult to predict. It depends. It depends on many factors. It MIGHT depend on how long you have been outside Canada this time, and what the circumstances are. It is, after all, unusual for a PR to apply for a PR card based on H&C reasons and in the meantime go outside Canada; the reason this is unusual is in part because the time to make the H&C case is when the PR is in Canada, or at least coming (such as in the context of a PR Travel Document application), TO STAY. Reminder: H&C relief does not entirely restart the Residency Obligation clock. For a PR who has been afforded H&C relief it remains risky to spend an extended period of time abroad before they have spent at least two of the preceding five years actually IN Canada.

Note: not all "interviews" for PRs with PR card applications are the same. They range from a counter-interview attendant an in-person PR card pickup to interviews for conducting a formal Residency Determination, with variations in-between, including a range in how probing or challenging the interview is. Many times the requirement to appear in person to pickup a newly issued PR card is primarily aimed at verifying the PR is physically in Canada.

Even at the other end of the range, where a formal Residency Determination is involved, what happens in practice can range from relatively perfunctory questions for verification of information, to something more like a formal and official hearing. Risks range accordingly. For example, after sorting through the precise language in the notice and substantial details in his case, it appears very likely that the interview scheduled for @Kalandar will be closer to the former, largely perfunctory (notwithstanding some earlier apprehension of a more probing, challenging examination).
Very well explained @dpenabill , and to reflect the experiences in these context, I could find one post which provides some idea of what is the interview like . Link here.

As a matter of fact, as you mentioned, every case is different and so is the assessment. As it was mentioned in the link that not everyone who goes gets the PR card.

Akash20071986

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Very well explained @dpenabill , and to reflect the experiences in these context, I could find one post which provides some idea of what is the interview like . Link here.

As a matter of fact, as you mentioned, every case is different and so is the assessment. As it was mentioned in the link that not everyone who goes gets the PR card.
Hello have you appeared for the interview..did you get the card??

Kalandar

Aug 21, 2014
Hello Folks ,

For the understanding of everyone on the PR card invitation to pick up at the IRCC Etobicoke local office. I have listed down my experience providing a basic idea to prep accordingly:
  1. Got the invitation email on October 25, 2022 (after waiting for an year and a half of application).
  2. Appointed date was November 17, 2022 at 8:30 am at IRCC Etobicoke office. The email had an Annex which mentions the travel and supporting documents to carry along on the date of appointment
  3. Visited office at 7:50 am to avoid rush and queued up.
  4. Office opened at 8 am where they checked the copy of appointment letter and piece if ID to enter inside
  5. Got an appointment slip and was asked to wait till my name is announced
  6. 8:43 am my name was announced and required me to proceed to counter number 3
  7. A kind officer checked my passport and handed an application form to fill for the assessment of 5 years back from the date of interview i.e. My residency status from Nov 17, 2017 to Nov, 17, 2022.
  8. I handed the filled application form to the officer along with all my passports (current and expired) and expired PR card. I was asked to wait for an hour till my case is assessed by an officer.
  9. After 45 min, I went to the counter and the office handed me my renewed PR card, took back the old PR card and got a signature from me.
  10. 10:30 am I was out with my new PR card - Happy and relieved
Points to keep in mind:
1) Read the instructions in the invitation email properly and ensure you have all the travel (passports), expired PR card and supporting documents (even if they check for it)
2) Be before time
3) Draft a copy of your dates spend in and outside Canada, location and work history before hand and carry along to save time in filling the application form and avoid any incorrect info
4) Prepare to spend 1~2 hours after your reach there based on the traffic in the office
5) Carry a pen along

This might not be an exhaustive list and may not be relevant in your case but gives you an idea. My sincere thanks to @dpenabill for his inputs so far.

Akash20071986

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Hello Folks ,

For the understanding of everyone on the PR card invitation to pick up at the IRCC Etobicoke local office. I have listed down my experience providing a basic idea to prep accordingly:
  1. Got the invitation email on October 25, 2022 (after waiting for an year and a half of application).
  2. Appointed date was November 17, 2022 at 8:30 am at IRCC Etobicoke office. The email had an Annex which mentions the travel and supporting documents to carry along on the date of appointment
  4. Office opened at 8 am where they checked the copy of appointment letter and piece if ID to enter inside
  7. A kind officer checked my passport and handed an application form to fill for the assessment of 5 years back from the date of interview i.e. My residency status from Nov 17, 2017 to Nov, 17, 2022.
  8. I handed the filled application form to the officer along with all my passports (current and expired) and expired PR card. I was asked to wait for an hour till my case is assessed by an officer.
  9. After 45 min, I went to the counter and the office handed me my renewed PR card, took back the old PR card and got a signature from me.
Points to keep in mind:
1) Read the instructions in the invitation email properly and ensure you have all the travel (passports), expired PR card and supporting documents (even if they check for it)
2) Be before time
3) Draft a copy of your dates spend in and outside Canada, location and work history before hand and carry along to save time in filling the application form and avoid any incorrect info
4) Prepare to spend 1~2 hours after your reach there based on the traffic in the office
5) Carry a pen along

This might not be an exhaustive list and may not be relevant in your case but gives you an idea. My sincere thanks to @dpenabill for his inputs so far.
Many congratulations bro..

Cn we pls connect over the call..i have in person pick up scheduled on this 23 November?

obaid1989

Nov 20, 2022
Hello Folks ,

Points to keep in mind:
2) Be before time
5) Carry a pen along

Congratulations.... did you get a 5 year renewal or 1 year?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
  • A kind officer checked my passport and handed an application form to fill for the assessment of 5 years back from the date of interview i.e. My residency status from Nov 17, 2017 to Nov, 17, 2022.
  • I handed the filled application form to the officer along with all my passports (current and expired) and expired PR card. I was asked to wait for an hour till my case is assessed by an officer.
  • After 45 min, I went to the counter and the office handed me my renewed PR card, took back the old PR card and got a signature from me.
  • 10:30 am I was out with my new PR card - Happy and relieved
Congratulations.

I very much appreciate the update, which in conjunction with all the other information about your experience provides a wealth of insight into the process (which warrants some further attention). I expect the forum at large should likewise be grateful.

I assume you got the five year PR card. Not a one-year card. But to be sure, @Kalandar, be nice to get confirmation, if you will.

Additionally, I appreciate the observation that you were asked to provide a travel history for the five year period ending the date of the interview.
  • A kind officer checked my passport and handed an application form to fill for the assessment of 5 years back from the date of interview i.e. My residency status from Nov 17, 2017 to Nov, 17, 2022.
You had previously asked:
1) Does the arithmetic of the days in Canada counts 5 years prior to my application date or it would be considered from the day of my interview (Nov 17) as by then it comes to 1022 days.
. . . and also asked:
3) As per the Annex "Proof of residence in Canada for the 5 years prior to the date you applied" - does that mean they are more concerned on my residence obligations prior to the date I have applied. Even if I am settled now with a stable job.

A typical response in this forum, and perhaps but for my repetitive refrains otherwise, what might be characterized as the conventional wisdom here, and which was indeed the initial response you got to these questions from others, is that what counts, what the calculation of RO compliance is about in this context, is based on the date the PR card application was made. In particular, a common response in this forum is that IRCC is concerned about the PR's RO compliance as of the date the PR card application was made . . . that IRCC is concerned about whether the PR "applied to renew their PR card without meeting the residency obligation."

I disagreed, at least in part, an important part, responding that BOTH periods matter and it is best to be prepared to present evidence/documents showing presence in Canada during BOTH time periods.

Recognizing this, and being prepared accordingly, is important in itself. But it is also important because it illustrates the importance of continuing RO compliance AFTER a PR card application is made, to recognize that even if the PR met the RO as of the date of the PR card application, and is entitled to be delivered a new card, if the PR is outside Canada after applying and is short of compliance as of the date of the interview, RO compliance can be (and often will be) calculated as of that date, and if in breach the PR may be issued a Removal Order (unless there are sufficient H&C reasons for allowing the PR to keep status).

Corollaries of this include the fact that if after applying for a PR card the PR goes or remains abroad, even if a new PR card is issued, if the PR is not in compliance with the RO when they next arrive at a PoE into Canada (such as the PR card was mailed and a family member forwarded it abroad to the PR), the PR is still at RISK for RO enforcement, including potentially being issued a Removal Order upon arrival, again even though the PR has a brand new PR card. Additionally, if the PR is abroad and needs to return to Canada for an in-person card pick-up, if in breach of the RO the PR remains subject to having an application for a PR TD denied.

Reactions: caloca and armoured

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
1) In regard to the first point, and as you clearly pointed out, I did check my days and it comes out to 733 days from May 10 2016 to April 30 2021, where I considered by day of departure from and arrival in Canada as days "IN" Canada. I really have no issues producing residency proofs post July 2021 and my stay from May 10 2016 to Apr 30 2021, its just that what would they consider to be legit. Plus, I already have got employment proof and pay stubs and filed my taxes for all the years since 2016. I have held my lease of my apt since 2018 and carry the same residential address till date ever since. The Phone number has been the same since 2017.
So theorically you break your RO after May 10, 2021, and you enter Canada in July without being reported.
Anyone has the knowledge about this? Someone could be proved to break RO because he/she applies for PR with a very tight days and the IRCC noticed during the application the applicant breaks RO?