+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal from outside Canada

explorer84

Oct 21, 2017
Hello all,
Can you please help me to understand how do i apply for PR Card renewal from Dubai. I have been in Canada for only 5 months in last 5 years of my PR card issuance as my wife and myself moved to Dubai for work. My wife and son are both canadian citizens and as I have been living with them outside canada, and as per law i can apply for renewal as I was accompanying them (canadian citizens) outside of canada. However, when i check on CIC website they say that i need to apply for renewal of PR card only from within Canada. Is that correct or am i misunderstanding something. Please assist as my card expires in Sept 2023 and I would like to start the process asap. Thanks to all for your help always on this forum.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,
Can you please help me to understand how do i apply for PR Card renewal from Dubai. I have been in Canada for only 5 months in last 5 years of my PR card issuance as my wife and myself moved to Dubai for work. My wife and son are both canadian citizens and as I have been living with them outside canada, and as per law i can apply for renewal as I was accompanying them (canadian citizens) outside of canada. However, when i check on CIC website they say that i need to apply for renewal of PR card only from within Canada. Is that correct or am i misunderstanding something. Please assist as my card expires in Sept 2023 and I would like to start the process asap. Thanks to all for your help always on this forum.
Yes, you must apply to renew from within Canada. You can do that while visiting, obviously if you return before Sept. (Although you could return via land border i.e. USA if you have passport/visa that allows you to). You'd need to have an address in Canada they can send it to, or they may require you to pick it up in person (for which, if later, you'd also need a PRTD).

If not, you'll have to apply for PRTD. Sometimes they will issue longer-tenor (> 1 yr) PRTDs to PRs in your situation.

Note: approval not automatic but all you can do is apply.

Reactions: dpenabill and Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,
As @armoured has mentioned, the approval is NOT automatic. Sometimes it comes down to `who followed whom' for a PR living abroad. Did your Canadian wife and son follow you...or did you follow them. It sounds like the answer is the former. Having said that, all you can do is try to see if your days living (and working) in Dubai will count towards the Residency Requirement to not only renew the PR Card, but to also (most importantly) maintain the PR status.

Good luck!

Kiw_Lemon

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,
I have lost my prcard and applied for prtd, I am travelling to Vancouver from India via Frankfurt. As I don't have a valid pr card, Do i need to apply for transit visa for a layover of 4 hour?
appreciate the information. Thank you!