+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal application: What happens after Oath ceremony?

prasquants

Jun 15, 2017
hi folks - I have a question re: PR card renewal applications. What happens to any renewal application in -progress still, and if our oath ceremony is completed?. Will IRCC automatically cancel processing of the PR renewal application in this case, or do we need to submit a web form requesting them to stop processing?. Also, what if they already mailed the renewed PR card just after we completed our oath ceremony, do we just cut it and just stop using it, or do we need to mail it back ourselves to IRCC. I do not see any specific instructions online on this. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi folks - I have a question re: PR card renewal applications. What happens to any renewal application in -progress still, and if our oath ceremony is completed?. Will IRCC automatically cancel processing of the PR renewal application in this case, or do we need to submit a web form requesting them to stop processing?. Also, what if they already mailed the renewed PR card just after we completed our oath ceremony, do we just cut it and just stop using it, or do we need to mail it back ourselves to IRCC. I do not see any specific instructions online on this. Thank you.
They should stop the processing of it when notified. If it's mailed just before, my view is that the best is to cut it and return it (with short explanation). Return it - because it's the government's property. Cut it - for privacy/identity theft protection.

prasquants

Jun 15, 2017
Thanks. When notified meaning, IRCC will automatically stop processing PR renewal application after the oath ceremony, or we should notify them to stop processing it after oath ceremony?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. When notified meaning, IRCC will automatically stop processing PR renewal application after the oath ceremony, or we should notify them to stop processing it after oath ceremony?
THey should do it on their own. If you want to inform them, it won't hurt.