+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pr card renewal after expiration

Aug 3, 2014
dears
I have the case where my family living in Canada with valid pr, I would like to stay there forever with my family , but my pr will expire after 1 year, so I will have a year shortage to renew the pr.
if I stayed there for another 1 year , then I will have 2 year condition to renew the pr .

my question : if I request to renew the card after 1 year , they will approve it as I will have 2 years ? any body has the same case and tried to renew ?

Thank you in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need to have a valid PR card in order to live in Canada.

Aug 3, 2014
that's true but for health card renewal I need it as well as the health card .

1- but if I request to renew , are they going to renew it ?
2- if I stayed for 3 years without pr and request the citizenship , any problems ?

Thanks for you fast reply

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Your PR does NOT expire. Your card can expire, but your actual PR can not.

As long as you remain in Canada you are a PR. If you leave Canada you are a PR until it is revoked, you give it up manually via all the paperwork, you become a citizen or you die.

Do not confuse the expiry date on your PR card with your actual PR.

Do NOT attempt to renew your PR card UNLESS you fulfill the RO requirements of 730 days in the last 5 years. If you do not fulfill that, they will not renew your card and you will effectively be putting your head on the chopping block to have your PR revoked.

Your health card should be usable for more than 1 year. If it is not, then renew it just before your PR card expires.

The rules of citizenship have changed. You should look up the new rules here. http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=832259

Aug 3, 2014
thank you for your valuable information you provided.

but still I did not get the answer for my question !! which is :
after 1 year of the expiration I will have 730 days required to renew the PR , if I applied to renew , they will renew it or no ?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
salemsalem1974 said:
thank you for your valuable information you provided.

but still I did not get the answer for my question !! which is :
after 1 year of the expiration I will have 730 days required to renew the PR , if I applied to renew , they will renew it or no ?
It doesn't matter if it's expired for 1 year or 10 years. As long as you can provide solid PROOF to them that you were in fact in Canada the ENTIRE 730 days from 5 years previous to the date you sign the renewal application then yes, they will renew it. It doesn't matter how long expired a card is. It only matters if you have met the requirements for renewal.

Taxee

Oct 6, 2013
A relative of mine made 3 short trips to US for a total of 5 days since his PR Card expired and was lucky enough to enter Canada each time via land border.
1. Now will these short trips affect his application for renewal? He has about 40 days more than the required 730 in Canada.
2. Should he include his expired card in the application?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Taxee said:
A relative of mine made 3 short trips to US for a total of 5 days since his PR Card expired and was lucky enough to enter Canada each time via land border.
1. Now will these short trips affect his application for renewal? He has about 40 days more than the required 730 in Canada.
2. Should he include his expired card in the application?
He needs to include the days he was out of Canada as part of his travel. If he was gone for more than 1 day at a time, it counts as a day outside of Canada. The days he left and returned the same day, don't count as days OUTSIDE because he returned on the same day. The only days that count would be the ones where he was gone overnight until the following day, or longer.

No he does not need to include the expired card.

waheed shah

Aug 4, 2014
i have a general question. can one enter in canada after spending more than 3 years in his country having permanent resident card n get it renewed?plz reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
waheed shah said:
i have a general question. can one enter in canada after spending more than 3 years in his country having permanent resident card n get it renewed?plz reply
If you are lucky enough to enter Canada without getting reported, you can simply stay until you have 2 years and then apply to renew your PR card and you will be fine.

If you get reported on entry, you will have to appeal for your PR. Winning the appeal is based on the reasons you had for staying outside so long. If you had humanitarian grounds, you have a chance. Self-serving grounds like not willing to give up a good job or choosing to study abroad, you would not have much chance.

Taxee

Oct 6, 2013
Alurra71 said:
He needs to include the days he was out of Canada as part of his travel. If he was gone for more than 1 day at a time, it counts as a day outside of Canada. The days he left and returned the same day, don't count as days OUTSIDE because he returned on the same day. The only days that count would be the ones where he was gone overnight until the following day, or longer.

No he does not need to include the expired card.
Thank you.

mangatrandhir

Jul 10, 2018
My PR Card expired in 2009 and I have got PRTD on C&H ground and plan to reach Canada soon. I had previously traveled to Canada in Jun 2004 and stayed there for 11 months only.

My questions are:
  1. Will I use the same Application form for Renewal of PR as used for normal Renewal of PR Card?
  2. For renewing my PR Card, can I give the add of my Univ Hostel where I would be staying?
  3. How do I renew my Health card. My earlier health card was issued from Ontario in 2004 and has expired in 2011?,
  4. Will I have to renew my PR & Health card in Ontario only or can I get them renewed in Quebec where I would be staying as my University is in Quebec?
  5. How long does it take to get the renewed PR cad in such a case?
Thanks in advance