+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal 2017

wiflok

Jul 25, 2010
Hi. I have sent mine and my family's application for renewal of PR cards and was received on Jan 23/17. When I applied the prpcessing time then was 35 days. I have planned a trip on March 8 to the US coming back to canada on March 14th. Issue is, processing time have changed to 48 days. We have booked flights and made reservations but I don't know if I should apply for urgent processing as my trip is not too urgent in nature but at the same time, bookings and reservations have been made. Please advise.

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well you wouldn't be able to board your flight with an expired PR card.

Depending on the reason for your trip, i doubt they would do an urgent processing

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
wiflok said:
Hi. I have sent mine and my family's application for renewal of PR cards and was received on Jan 23/17. When I applied the prpcessing time then was 35 days. I have planned a trip on March 8 to the US coming back to canada on March 14th. Issue is, processing time have changed to 48 days. We have booked flights and made reservations but I don't know if I should apply for urgent processing as my trip is not too urgent in nature but at the same time, bookings and reservations have been made. Please advise.
As you indicated that this is not an urgent trip, looking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp it seems unlikely that urgent processing would be approved.

To qualify for urgent processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:

your own serious illness,
the serious illness of a family member,
the death of a family member;
a job opportunity, or
work related to your current job.
The qualifying criteria were changed in August 2016.

wiflok

Jul 25, 2010
Thank you for the replies. I managed to change the flight routes and decided to drive to buffalo instead and fly to my destination from there and will be going back to canada through the buffalo border as well. Will we have any problems if we will be showing our passports and expired PR cards? Should i bring other documents as well?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
wiflok said:
Thank you for the replies. I managed to change the flight routes and decided to drive to buffalo instead and fly to my destination from there and will be going back to canada through the buffalo border as well. Will we have any problems if we will be showing our passports and expired PR cards? Should i bring other documents as well?
That's probably sufficient but you could take your CoPR documents as well, if you want.

RW

Jul 20, 2013
Hi,
Can anyone please help me.I will complete the mandatory 730 days period for PR renewal next month in April 2017.I intend to travel to my country a month later.My PR card expires in Oct 2018.If I come back to Canada three months before the expiration date what documents will I need to submit along with my PR renewal application.Also how soon can I apply for PR renewal? Will I need record from the family doctor and kids school as well(for the two years we were here in Canada).Since I will be out of Canada for one year will I be asked to provide travel history?
Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
RW said:
Hi,
Can anyone please help me.I will complete the mandatory 730 days period for PR renewal next month in April 2017.I intend to travel to my country a month later.My PR card expires in Oct 2018.If I come back to Canada three months before the expiration date what documents will I need to submit along with my PR renewal application.Also how soon can I apply for PR renewal? Will I need record from the family doctor and kids school as well(for the two years we were here in Canada).Since I will be out of Canada for one year will I be asked to provide travel history?
Thanks
The date of expiry on PR card is irrelevant to determine your PR status. It's just a travel document.

The question are:
What's the date when your became PR of Canada?
What's the date you will be returning back to Canada?

RW

Jul 20, 2013
thecoolguysam said:
The date of expiry on PR card is irrelevant to determine your PR status. It's just a travel document.

The question are:
What's the date when your became PR of Canada?
What's the date you will be returning back to Canada?
Hi,
I became a PR in 2013 but I didnt permanently move to Canada till April 2015.Since then I have been in Canada.Next month in April 2017 it will be two years.I intend to go back to my country in June 2017 as I have some things that have to be taken care off. It might be a while before I return.My card expires in October 2018 .I just want to know how soon can I apply for PR renewal so I can plan my return to Canada accordingly.Also please tell me what documents are generally required along with the PR renewal application .Will I be needing doctor`s records as well from my current city.Will I need some other documents?
Thank you for your help.I really appreciate it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
RW said:
Hi,
I became a PR in 2013 but I didnt permanently move to Canada till April 2015.Since then I have been in Canada.Next month in April 2017 it will be two years.I intend to go back to my country in June 2017 as I have some things that have to be taken care off. It might be a while before I return.My card expires in October 2018 .I just want to know how soon can I apply for PR renewal so I can plan my return to Canada accordingly.Also please tell me what documents are generally required along with the PR renewal application .Will I be needing doctor`s records as well from my current city.Will I need some other documents?
Thank you for your help.I really appreciate it.
Can you be more specific in terms on what date you became pr, what date you will have 730 days completed, what date you are leaving Canada and what date you are coming back? That way I can have an accurate answer for you.

Count 5 years from the date of becoming PR and if you complete 730 days (give extra buffer of 1 to 2 months) before end of 5 year period, i think your PR status should be safe. For renewing PR card, here is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

RW

Jul 20, 2013
thecoolguysam said:
Can you be more specific in terms on what date you became pr, what date you will have 730 days completed, what date you are leaving Canada and what date you are coming back? That way I can have an accurate answer for you.

Count 5 years from the date of becoming PR and if you complete 730 days (give extra buffer of 1 to 2 months) before end of 5 year period, i think your PR status should be safe. For renewing PR card, here is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp
Hi,
Thank you for the link.I became a PR on 7th Sept 2013.I moved to Canada on the 16th April 2015.Next month on 16 April 2017 I will complete 730 days.I plan to travel in June 2017.I still haven't made seat reservations yet.I want to know how early I can apply for PR renewal ?Can I do it in Jan 2018 which around 9 months before its expiration date .The card expires on the 25th of Oct 2018.
I know I still have time what I am interested in asking is how soon can you apply for PR renewal.On the CIC website they say it can be applied if you still have 6 months left for card to expire. My question is Can I apply if I have more than 6 months ie 9 months in my case.Also do I need to submit doctors record from my current city for proof of residency. I know it doesnt say on the website but someone told me that it must be done.I dont intend to return to this province so I just want to take whatever relevant documents are required from here.
I am grateful for your reply and sorry for the trouble

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RW said:
Hi,
Thank you for the link.I became a PR on 7th Sept 2013.I moved to Canada on the 16th April 2015.Next month on 16 April 2017 I will complete 730 days.I plan to travel in June 2017.I still haven't made seat reservations yet.I want to know how early I can apply for PR renewal ?Can I do it in Jan 2018 which around 9 months before its expiration date .The card expires on the 25th of Oct 2018.
I know I still have time what I am interested in asking is how soon can you apply for PR renewal.On the CIC website they say it can be applied if you still have 6 months left for card to expire. My question is Can I apply if I have more than 6 months ie 9 months in my case.Also do I need to submit doctors record from my current city for proof of residency. I know it doesnt say on the website but someone told me that it must be done.I dont intend to return to this province so I just want to take whatever relevant documents are required from here.
I know they advise 6 months before expiry, and it does say that on the website somewhere because I remember reading it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
RW said:
Hi,
5 years will start from 7th September 2013 and will end on 6th September 2018.
Let's suppose you are leaving on 25th June till that day, you will have approx 800 days.
I am not sure if you can apply early however, if you are coming back in January 2018 (example 25th January 2018), come back and apply around 25th April 2018) that way looking 5 years in the past, you will have met your residency obligations which means you will have approximately spent 890 days in Canada.

Also you will have approx 134 days left to spend in Canada to meet residency obligations.

Bottom line is that you need to complete at least 730 days going back 5 years from 6th September 2018. If you apply with extra buffer of 30 to 60 days which means 760 to 790 days, then there are less chances of delayed processing. If you apply with 730 days exact then the processing may be delayed.

You don't need any doctor's records etc unless cic asks for it. You can have it however, only send it when asked by cic.

RW

Jul 20, 2013
thecoolguysam said:
5 years will start from 7th September 2013 and will end on 6th September 2018.
Let's suppose you are leaving on 25th June till that day, you will have approx 800 days.
I am not sure if you can apply early however, if you are coming back in January 2018 (example 25th January 2018), come back and apply around 25th April 2018) that way looking 5 years in the past, you will have met your residency obligations which means you will have approximately spent 890 days in Canada.

Also you will have approx 134 days left to spend in Canada to meet residency obligations.

Bottom line is that you need to complete at least 730 days going back 5 years from 6th September 2018. If you apply with extra buffer of 30 to 60 days which means 760 to 790 days, then there are less chances of delayed processing. If you apply with 730 days exact then the processing may be delayed.

You don't need any doctor's records etc unless cic asks for it. You can have it however, only send it when asked by cic.
Thank you for the detailed reply.It is very helpful.

taco123

Apr 9, 2017
thecoolguysam said:

Sorry to jump in.
Can you please correct me if I am wrong;
To fulfill, RO you need 730 days in a 5 yr period immediately preceding assessment. Not from the day you became a PR.