+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Processing Times as per CIC website

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Today CIC website changed the processing times to 174 from 248 days. Seems like something's cooking behind the scenes.

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
There should atleast be some notifications on what they are processing currently. Or how are they planning to process? IRCC processing office is in Sydney, NS which is least affected by the pandemic.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There should atleast be some notifications on what they are processing currently. Or how are they planning to process? IRCC processing office is in Sydney, NS which is least affected by the pandemic.
Everything is being processed. It's just taking longer.

It doesn't matter where the office is.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@Kanedaa . . . I do not mean to pick on you particularly. I have used your post to address a broad and what appears to be expanding impatience that threatens to undermine or even undo all the hard work done so far to minimize the impact of this horrible disease.

There should at least be some notifications on what they are processing currently.
There is. The same page (saying the same thing as many other IRCC web pages) explicitly states:

Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t
  • process applications normally
  • provide accurate processing times
We’re prioritizing applications from
  • Canadians returning to Canada
  • vulnerable people
  • people who perform or support essential services
No profound powers of divination necessary to recognize this means that routine application processing is largely if not entirely suspended.

If the assertion that "everything is being processed" is intended to mean there is active processing of routine applications, I disagree. If it means the applications are sitting in a queue much like they do at other times, waiting for a processing agent to take the next step in processing, sure.

Since the 174 days processing time currently posted for PR card applications goes back two months BEFORE things began shutting down (and two months is actually a little longer than "most" routine PR card applications were taking then), that is a rather salient signal there has been NO progress processing routine PR card applications since mid-March or so.

Of course I do not know for sure, but my sense (stronger than a guess) is that the briefly posted (last week) longer processing time, which as best I recall was 248 days, was a mistake. Or a projection. At the time, somewhere around here, I noted that that processing time was obviously inconsistent with the usual methodology used by IRCC to populate its processing time information.

Leading to . . .

There should at least be some notifications on . . . how are they planning to process?
Not sure why you would expect IRCC to publish its internal staffing and resource allocation planning. Not something they ordinarily do. And especially so long as it is still in the planning phase, short of implementing adopted plans.

Sure, even the IRRC information I referenced and quoted above is outside the scope of what IRCC ordinarily publishes, but the current situation related to the impact of Covid-19, and measures taken in response, demand they give clients and the public more information than usual. This is largely due to the extreme, unprecedented nature of things in the wake of this pandemic.

IRCC processing office is in Sydney, NS which is least affected by the pandemic.
If you are referring to the extent to which the disease itself has spread in given areas, so what? You may have noticed, the impact of this pandemic goes way, way, way beyond the current spread of the disease itself. Last I looked at the statistics, for example, total number of deaths in Canada due to Covid-19 is still well below one-thirtieth one percent of our population. In the large area in which I live there has been just one death and currently only two known active cases, less than a hundred overall to date. But it is NOT time to lower our guard here. Not yet.

Note: the per capita death rate in Canada is maybe HALF what it is in that S*hole country to our south. That's a clue about the difference it can make when a population which takes civic responsibilities seriously, and a more conscientious approach to balancing public interests versus individual interests.

Sure, we have our share of reckless, irresponsible, immature and overgrown idiots, who are confident they will either not be infected or not seriously affected even if infected, and who believe and act as though this excuses their behavior which will drastically increase the risks of severe illness and death for others. But at least the Canadian government is mostly setting an example and making a concerted effort to implement measures which will encourage Canadians to approach this pandemic, as best we can, in a way to reduce (hoping to minimize) ALL the detrimental effects which flow from such a crisis. It's a tough battle. Millions are anxious to resume their self-indulgent lives, confident their own risks are low, so why not?

In any event, what does "least affected" really mean? To be clear, the impact of this crisis on N.S. is huge. Its economy is perhaps more badly damaged than some other areas of Canada. The impact on tourism revenues this summer is going to be way beyond what almost anyone previously anticipated might happen. This will happen even if the Canadian government elected to stomp Trumpian on good sense and crowd government workers back into their cubicle-close-by-cubicles work spaces. And to the extent the tide of this pandemic is not stemmed now, it will persist longer and more severely, leading to longer delays in everything, more deaths, more economic pain.

As I said, I do not mean to pick on you particularly. I have used your post to address a broad and what appears to be expanding impatience that threatens to undermine or even undo all the hard work done so far to minimize the impact of this horrible disease. The good news is that this disease kills way fewer than the number it infects. The bad news is that it is nonetheless a killing bio-machine and is still way short of being contained.

I know, easy for me to want the government to suspend all but the most essential immigration services. I am already a Canadian citizen. And my spouse and I are old, well into the most vulnerable demographic, as are many of our friends and acquaintances and colleagues, so I realize the likelihood I am biased about this. But there are more than a 100k Americans dead, many still just in body bags, more than a few in makeshift morgue facilities. And there are many more to come. They are our neighbours. When your neighbours are besieged by an infectious disease, an international border is not much protection. And we already have at least our share of infected and dead.

I also acknowledge the incongruity of a rant advocating patience. Sorry. But I went grocery shopping yesterday, first time since the week before last, and was dismayed at how much more lax so many were being. One youngish man walked up and stood right beside me, closer than I'd be comfortable with BEFORE Covid-19, and was rude when I suggested he give me some space. I was wearing a N95 mask which in turn was under another facial covering, to protect him and others (masks generally lower the risk for the individual wearing them by some, but decrease the risk of spreading the disease to others by a lot). Least he could do would be give me some space for my protection.

No rocket science necessary to see the trajectory of these things. And likewise the numbers. Patience please.

My Opinion

May 27, 2020
@Kanedaa . . . I do not mean to pick on you particularly. I have used your post to address a broad and what appears to be expanding impatience that threatens to undermine or even undo all the hard work done so far to minimize the impact of this horrible disease.

There is. The same page (saying the same thing as many other IRCC web pages) explicitly states:

Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t
  • process applications normally
  • provide accurate processing times
We’re prioritizing applications from
  • Canadians returning to Canada
  • vulnerable people
  • people who perform or support essential services
No profound powers of divination necessary to recognize this means that routine application processing is largely if not entirely suspended.

If the assertion that "everything is being processed" is intended to mean there is active processing of routine applications, I disagree. If it means the applications are sitting in a queue much like they do at other times, waiting for a processing agent to take the next step in processing, sure.

Since the 174 days processing time currently posted for PR card applications goes back two months BEFORE things began shutting down (and two months is actually a little longer than "most" routine PR card applications were taking then), that is a rather salient signal there has been NO progress processing routine PR card applications since mid-March or so.

Of course I do not know for sure, but my sense (stronger than a guess) is that the briefly posted (last week) longer processing time, which as best I recall was 248 days, was a mistake. Or a projection. At the time, somewhere around here, I noted that that processing time was obviously inconsistent with the usual methodology used by IRCC to populate its processing time information.

Leading to . . .

Not sure why you would expect IRCC to publish its internal staffing and resource allocation planning. Not something they ordinarily do. And especially so long as it is still in the planning phase, short of implementing adopted plans.

Sure, even the IRRC information I referenced and quoted above is outside the scope of what IRCC ordinarily publishes, but the current situation related to the impact of Covid-19, and measures taken in response, demand they give clients and the public more information than usual. This is largely due to the extreme, unprecedented nature of things in the wake of this pandemic.

If you are referring to the extent to which the disease itself has spread in given areas, so what? You may have noticed, the impact of this pandemic goes way, way, way beyond the current spread of the disease itself. Last I looked at the statistics, for example, total number of deaths in Canada due to Covid-19 is still well below one-thirtieth one percent of our population. In the large area in which I live there has been just one death and currently only two known active cases, less than a hundred overall to date. But it is NOT time to lower our guard here. Not yet.

Note: the per capita death rate in Canada is maybe HALF what it is in that S*hole country to our south. That's a clue about the difference it can make when a population which takes civic responsibilities seriously, and a more conscientious approach to balancing public interests versus individual interests.

Sure, we have our share of reckless, irresponsible, immature and overgrown idiots, who are confident they will either not be infected or not seriously affected even if infected, and who believe and act as though this excuses their behavior which will drastically increase the risks of severe illness and death for others. But at least the Canadian government is mostly setting an example and making a concerted effort to implement measures which will encourage Canadians to approach this pandemic, as best we can, in a way to reduce (hoping to minimize) ALL the detrimental effects which flow from such a crisis. It's a tough battle. Millions are anxious to resume their self-indulgent lives, confident their own risks are low, so why not?

In any event, what does "least affected" really mean? To be clear, the impact of this crisis on N.S. is huge. Its economy is perhaps more badly damaged than some other areas of Canada. The impact on tourism revenues this summer is going to be way beyond what almost anyone previously anticipated might happen. This will happen even if the Canadian government elected to stomp Trumpian on good sense and crowd government workers back into their cubicle-close-by-cubicles work spaces. And to the extent the tide of this pandemic is not stemmed now, it will persist longer and more severely, leading to longer delays in everything, more deaths, more economic pain.

As I said, I do not mean to pick on you particularly. I have used your post to address a broad and what appears to be expanding impatience that threatens to undermine or even undo all the hard work done so far to minimize the impact of this horrible disease. The good news is that this disease kills way fewer than the number it infects. The bad news is that it is nonetheless a killing bio-machine and is still way short of being contained.

I know, easy for me to want the government to suspend all but the most essential immigration services. I am already a Canadian citizen. And my spouse and I are old, well into the most vulnerable demographic, as are many of our friends and acquaintances and colleagues, so I realize the likelihood I am biased about this. But there are more than a 100k Americans dead, many still just in body bags, more than a few in makeshift morgue facilities. And there are many more to come. They are our neighbours. When your neighbours are besieged by an infectious disease, an international border is not much protection. And we already have at least our share of infected and dead.

I also acknowledge the incongruity of a rant advocating patience. Sorry. But I went grocery shopping yesterday, first time since the week before last, and was dismayed at how much more lax so many were being. One youngish man walked up and stood right beside me, closer than I'd be comfortable with BEFORE Covid-19, and was rude when I suggested he give me some space. I was wearing a N95 mask which in turn was under another facial covering, to protect him and others (masks generally lower the risk for the individual wearing them by some, but decrease the risk of spreading the disease to others by a lot). Least he could do would be give me some space for my protection.

No rocket science necessary to see the trajectory of these things. And likewise the numbers. Patience please.
Don’t worry about being “rude” to a stranger standing too close. You are protecting your health. Period.

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
All the above responses perfectly make sense.

Take a scenario where you had applied for Citizenship grant in Mar-2020. Around Oct-2020 (or even after Oct) you receive a mail mentioning a small error in the application, returned package & you have to start again.
You also had your PR card approaching expiry & had also applied for PR renewal in May-2020. Same scenario, after 7+ months you receive your package back due to some error.!!
We are all immigrants and have close ties to our home country. You are in a very bad situation to travel.

I have been going through various forums & there's lot of people in the above situation. I understand the situation and agree there will be delays and I am prepared for it. But I only expect that CIC acknowledge that they have received my file & it's perfect to process. I don’t mind if they take years to process.

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
It updates weekly on cic website - let's predict next week's numbers?