+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card pick up - what does it mean?

uzas

Nov 2, 2010
I applied for renewal of my PR card. My e-case status said that decision was made, my PR card was issued. Then I got a notice that I need to come pick it up at a specific date and time, and bring specific documents (passport, ID, record of landing, old PR card) and that "An officer will review your documents and may request additional information to determine your eligibility for the permanent resident card."

What should I expect from this appointment? Should I bring extra documents and what? Are there any cases that people didn't actually get their cards when they went to pick them up and why would that be? Do they ask everybody to come pick up their card in person or do they sometimes mail them directly to people's homes?

I appreciate any experiences or opinions.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
I wouldn't be too worried. I just had to go to their office. The officer was extremely nice, and after a few questions, she gave me my card. Good luck.

osamaamany

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
realtexdex said:
I wouldn't be too worried. I just had to go to their office. The officer was extremely nice, and after a few questions, she gave me my card. Good luck.
Dear realtexdex

1- Do CIC send the renewed PR by mail or ask the applicant to pick it from the local office ? As per my knowledge it supposed to be sent by mail unless quality assurance randomly picked up your application and asked you to pick it from the local office ..am I right?

2- Does the local office checked and compared all submitted documents in the application with original one at the time of picking the new PR? like checking passport copy with original passport page by page and check all stamps ?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some portion of PR card renewals are sent to the local office for pickup. Some of these are just random, some of these are in cases where they have questions or concerns about whether the applicant has met the residency obligation.

My last PR card pickup was because of the CIC had flagged me as a residence concern. I had an RQ in my citizenship application and it seems this carried over into the PR process. I can't say how often this happens for other other citizenship RQ recipients, but I don't believe that it's universal.

I waited for over an hour until I was finally called up. The person at the counter refused to release my card to me that day but wouldn't or couldn't tell me what the concern was. I told them I would wait until I could speak to an officer and find out what the issue was.

I waited for at least another hour. Many other PRs came in and out to pick up their PR card renewals. 90% had no problem.

I was called up again and the counter agent gave me my card with no explanation. I later ordered my ATIP files and found that the PR card officer had pulled my RQ response from the archives and assessed that I really did live in Canada. Interestingly this led to my (long delayed) citizenship application moving forward because my file was finally out of the archives and got sent back to someone's desk in citizenship processing (rather than back to the archives).

Long story short: Don't leave until you can talk with someone knowledgeable or they give you your card.

uzas

Nov 2, 2010
Thank you so much eileenf

I applied for citizenship, it's been more than 22 months, but no RQ or anything of that sort.

What should I bring when I some to pick up the PR card? The instructions just say, passport, record of landing, an ID and the old PR card.

Should I bring the tax documents that I had submitted with the application?

Thank you!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I personally brought everything that I submitted with my RQ and application. They didn't look at any of it, but I'm glad I had it just in case they needed me to prove my residence then and there.

This is a rare chance to talk with someone who actually has knowledge and some control over your file. So, while you probably won't need extra documentation, it's good to be prepared.

alianjum

Apr 13, 2015
I have the same issue,got letter to pick in May. I m visiting every month for couple of weeks to middle east or my home country as consultant. I have more than 30 entries inlast 5 years. Please let me know if it will an issue.