+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card may not be renewed in time...

Tolly

Mar 20, 2012
Hello everyone.
I have unfortunately lost my pr card a little while ago when I changes my last name. It was misplaced during the change of name process with health sask. Long story short I didn't think we'd be going anywhere with the family so I haven't had it replaced yet. Wife's parents decided to fund for our trip back to Ireland for a visit. So I sent in my pr stuff in February but it still doesn't come up on the online check. I double checked my carrier to see if it got delivered or not and it has.
Is there anything I can do in order to try and speed up the aplication. I realise that there is an urgent option but traveling to visit isn't on there. Do I need my pr to renter? I am an Irish citizen so I don't require a visa to come to canada.
Thank you
Tolly

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to return to Canada by airplane. Alternatively, you could fly to the US and re-enter Canada by land.

keith6661

Oct 14, 2016
scylla said:
You need a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to return to Canada by airplane. Alternatively, you could fly to the US and re-enter Canada by land.
Im somewhat in the same position. I meet the RO but my card would be expired for about 2 months by the time I plan to move back to Canada. My question is what difference does it make entering by land oppose to air with an expired PR card. Im willing to go by land Im just curious.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
keith6661 said:
Im somewhat in the same position. I meet the RO but my card would be expired for about 2 months by the time I plan to move back to Canada. My question is what difference does it make entering by land oppose to air with an expired PR card. Im willing to go by land Im just curious.
without a valid PR card or a PRTD you would not be able to board a plane to Canada which is why the land option is suggested as the same restriction does not apply by land.

Tolly

Mar 20, 2012
Its a silly thing. You can cross the boarder without any papers at all and be accepted but someone who does not posses their PR card cant get back by plane even by their own passport that again does not require a visa to enter the country.
Up a creek without a paddle. We spend $4000 on these tickets and booked time off from work, wifes relatives got all their stuff organised to come meet us in Ireland.
Frustrating, and I understand its on me too but was hoping for something other than having to cancel our trip

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Tolly said:
Its a silly thing. You can cross the boarder without any papers at all and be accepted but someone who does not posses their PR card cant get back by plane even by their own passport that again does not require a visa to enter the country.
Up a creek without a paddle. We spend $4000 on these tickets and booked time off from work, wifes relatives got all their stuff organised to come meet us in Ireland.
Frustrating, and I understand its on me too but was hoping for something other than having to cancel our trip
How long are you traveling for? If at least a couple weeks, you can always apply for a PR TD once in Ireland.

PR card or PR TD is only required to board an airplane. Airlines are liable for expenses due to transporting people ineligible to enter Canada, so the rules here are very strict.

Once you reach Canada's border (either at airport or land border), CBSA is much more flexible to look up your PR status in their system with just your passport and COPR (optional, but makes the process quicker). The airlines have no ability to do this with the info they are given access to.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolly said:
Its a silly thing.
It's really not.

You can cross the boarder without any papers at all and be accepted but someone who does not posses their PR card cant get back by plane even by their own passport that again does not require a visa to enter the country.
Yes. As a Permanent Resident, you have the right to enter Canada. As such, at the land border, you are welcome to do so.

As an airline, they are not permitted to bring people to Canada without proper documentation, as they may be rejected and sent back. More importantly, refugees can make claims only from within the country. To keep large numbers of refugees from showing up, they require ETAs and visas from certain countries.

It's no different from how it's legal to travel from one province to another, but if you want to drive, you need a license. You're welcome to travel, and there are plenty of ways to do it, but if you want to go a specific way, you may need documentation.

If you want to take your boat to Canada, you can. If you want to fly your plane to Canada, you can. If you want to drive your car to Canada, you can. If you want to walk to Canada, you can.

Commercial carriers, however, can't take you without proper ID.

Get a PR travel document. They are fast, and that's exactly the kind of situation they are designed for. That gets you the documentation, so the airline can legally permit you to travel on their airline.