20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Hi guys,

My landlord in Canada mailed my PR a card to me in India on Dec 28 (as it reached my Canadian apt after I left for my India vacation in October ).

He sent it my Regular Lettermail Intl by Canada Post for $6 and the receipt has no tracking. The ETA was 2/3 weeks at earliest.

I am flying from India to US for a month on Jan 30 and then back to Canada on Feb 28.

I didn’t bother applying for a PRTD in India as I thought I would get my PR card in the mail before Jan 30, but I just spoke to a CP rep and they said it could take 6/8 weeks to arrive so I’m really exasperated now.

It’s too late to even apply for a PRTD at the CHC in India via VFS since I think they take 2 weeks to process so if I don’t get my passport back before Jan 30, I’ll be screwed.

I’m thinking of going to US and then applying for PRTD from there immediately when I reach OR fly to a bordering US city after my stay there and enter Canada by land so that my COPR may suffice.

I’m however very disappointed about my PR card being lost in the mail until now.

What should I do ?? Please suggest.

R

rish888

Depends on where in the U.S. you're going to and where you live in Canada.

If you're going to NYC and live in Toronto/Montreal, going by car without a PRTD makes sense.

On the other hand, if you're going to Dallas and live in Winnipeg, you're probably better off applying for a PRTD.

Once in Canda apply for a new PR card unless you have someone in India who can accept the post and send it back to you in Canada.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Depends on where in the U.S. you're going to and where you live in Canada.
I'll be in SFO then take a flight to Detroit. Then take the tunnel bus to Windsor across the border where I live. Used the bus 100 times to go from Windsor to Detroit and vice-verse and the drivers never ask for any documents while taking the bus, it's only at the Canadian side where they check my passport and let me go after seeing my COPR. So you think it would be the same this time?

R

rish888

I'll be in SFO then take a flight to Detroit. Then take the tunnel bus to Windsor across the border where I live. Used the bus 100 times to go from Windsor to Detroit and vice-verse and the drivers never ask for any documents while taking the bus, it's only at the Canadian side where they check my passport and let me go after seeing my COPR. So you think it would be the same this time?
Technically you need your PR card to get on a bus.

Practically speaking you have a good chance of getting on without questions if it's happened in the past, and if the driver asks for documents you could show your CoPR and hope he accepts it.

Buses can just ditch you at the border if you run into issues so I guess they probably don't care as much as the airlines which face huge fines and need to take you back etc.

Worst case he doesn't let you get on and you're out a ticket.

Another option would be to take a Lyft across the border. Another person on this forum did this a couple of days ago (Detriot-Windsor) and it cost him $13. The Lyft ofc won't cross-question you for ID.

Just curious, which bus do you take?

Once in Canada, you enter as a matter of right. Your CoPR and passport will suffice.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Hi guys,
I’m however very disappointed about my PR card being lost in the mail until now.
My PR cards were posted to my friend in Canada as I was outside the country at that time. And he posted it to me (in the US) without a tracking number. The package simply vanished. I filed a complaint both on the US and the Canada post side and they tried to locate the package but couldn't. I lost hope and started to file a solemn declaration. And then, after three solid months by which time I had recovered from the disappointment, a nondescript post arrives out of the blue with my cards! So I tell CIC about the same. Don't lose hope just yet.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
My PR cards were posted to my friend in Canada as I was outside the country at that time. And he posted it to me (in the US) without a tracking number. The package simply vanished. I filed a complaint both on the US and the Canada post side and they tried to locate the package but couldn't. I lost hope and started to file a solemn declaration. And then, after three solid months by which time I had recovered from the disappointment, a nondescript post arrives out of the blue with my cards! So I tell CIC about the same. Don't lose hope just yet.
Lol wow, 3 months? That’s scary. Problem is the package would arrive at my Indian address where nobody would be present to take delivery. Maybe I should stick a note on my door to deliver it to my neighbour or something?

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Technically you need your PR card to get on a bus.

Practically speaking you have a good chance of getting on without questions if it's happened in the past, and if the driver asks for documents you could show your CoPR and hope he accepts it.

Buses can just ditch you at the border if you run into issues so I guess they probably don't care as much as the airlines which face huge fines and need to take you back etc.

Worst case he doesn't let you get on and you're out a ticket.

Another option would be to take a Lyft across the border. Another person on this forum did this a couple of days ago (Detriot-Windsor) and it cost him $13. The Lyft ofc won't cross-question you for ID.

Just curious, which bus do you take?

Once in Canada, you enter as a matter of right. Your CoPR and passport will suffice.
Ah okay, thanks. It’s the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel bus costing $5 each way. Runs every 30 mins.

R

rish888

Ah okay, thanks. It’s the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel bus costing $5 each way. Runs every 30 mins.
So try to get on the bus. Worst case you're out $5. If the bus doesn't work out you can take a Lyft or something.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
So try to get on the bus. Worst case you're out $5. If the bus doesn't work out you can take a Lyft or something.
Yeah - only thing is I’ll have to surrender my SFO-Toronto-Windsor air ticket (as I want to show a Canada return ticket to US immigration authorities to avoid issues on reaching SFO) and book another SFO-Detroit ticket.

R

rish888

Yeah - only thing is I’ll have to surrender my SFO-Toronto-Windsor air ticket (as I want to show a Canada return ticket to US immigration authorities to avoid issues on reaching SFO) and book another SFO-Detroit ticket.
Have you already bought a SFO-Toronto ticket? If not, you could get a fully refundable one to show US immigration and cancel it as soon as you clear customs.

R

rish888

Plus, flying from SFO to Detroit is not only cheaper than SFO-Toronto-Windsor, you'll also be in Windsor quicker. (4 hours to Detroit and maybe another hour or two to reach Windsor vs 8 hours on a flight via Toronto.)

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Yeah - only thing is I’ll have to surrender my SFO-Toronto-Windsor air ticket (as I want to show a return to Canada ticket to US immigration to avoid issues on reaching SFO) and book another SFO-Detroit ticket.
Have you already bought a SFO-Toronto ticket? If not, you could get a fully refundable one to show US immigration and cancel it as soon as you clear customs.
Yeah I already booked one using my award miles on United Mileage Plus. Don’t think it’s refundable but whatever.

R

rish888

Yeah I already booked one using my award miles on United Mileage Plus. Don’t think it’s refundable but whatever.
Then you might as well apply for a PRTD. Hopefully it comes within a month. If you don't want to take a chance, then the land border is the way to go.