+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Legal Name Change

nhari

Feb 25, 2014
Hello ,
Firstly my apologies as I may be posting this thread in a wrong forum but I am doing it as I could not locate the right classification.

Problem:
Myself, my wife and Son are Permanent Residents of Canada since 2014 and hold Indian Passports Our names on all our passports are just Given Names and do not have a Surname. Our Given Names are combination of our individual names plus father's name. eg, MyName FatherName
Recently my wife's passport had to be renewed as it was nearing expiry. The BLS office in Toronto issued the new passport and the new Passport has her FatherName int the surname section.
Before:
Surname - Blank
GivenName - WifesName HerFathersName

After Passport renewal
Surname - HerFathersName
GivenName - WifesNames

Due to this she needs to have her PR card renewed for name change. But while we researched on the website, IRCC mandates for a ID document and an additional document to confirm this name change. There was no Legal Name change process we did. When we consulted Indian embassy several times they replied that they could attest a name change affidavit.

We are confused with the entire process. Has anyone been through this earlier? What is the right proceedure to get this done? Please provide inputs and case study if there is any.

Thanks.,
NH

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Hello ,
Firstly my apologies as I may be posting this thread in a wrong forum but I am doing it as I could not locate the right classification.

Problem:
Myself, my wife and Son are Permanent Residents of Canada since 2014 and hold Indian Passports Our names on all our passports are just Given Names and do not have a Surname. Our Given Names are combination of our individual names plus father's name. eg, MyName FatherName
Recently my wife's passport had to be renewed as it was nearing expiry. The BLS office in Toronto issued the new passport and the new Passport has her FatherName int the surname section.
Before:
Surname - Blank
GivenName - WifesName HerFathersName

After Passport renewal
Surname - HerFathersName
GivenName - WifesNames

Due to this she needs to have her PR card renewed for name change. But while we researched on the website, IRCC mandates for a ID document and an additional document to confirm this name change. There was no Legal Name change process we did. When we consulted Indian embassy several times they replied that they could attest a name change affidavit.

We are confused with the entire process. Has anyone been through this earlier? What is the right proceedure to get this done? Please provide inputs and case study if there is any.

Thanks.,
NH
You will need to go through legal name change process in Canada. Once you get your legal name change certificate, apply for the replacement of PR card and send a copy of the name change certificate along with all the supporting documents as mentioned in the PR card application kit. CIC will then issue you a new PR card with updated name.

Unless you have PR card and passport with exactly the same names, you won't be able to re-enter Canada via commercial transport.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
You will need to go through legal name change process in Canada. Once you get your legal name change certificate, apply for the replacement of PR card and send a copy of the name change certificate along with all the supporting documents as mentioned in the PR card application kit. CIC will then issue you a new PR card with updated name.

Unless you have PR card and passport with exactly the same names, you won't be able to re-enter Canada via commercial transport.
This isn’t true, my wife’s old passport was similar to the above instance mentioned by @nhari, only given name and blank surname.when she renewed the passport, she corrected the name to surname and given name.
Her PR card is still with given name and she had no problem entering Canada with new passport having given name and surname.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
This isn’t true, my wife’s old passport was similar to the above instance mentioned by @nhari, only given name and blank surname.when she renewed the passport, she corrected the name to surname and given name.
Her PR card is still with given name and she had no problem entering Canada with new passport having given name and surname.
That's amazing but most of the airlines require you to have exactly same names on your travel document (passport) and PR card. In case of mis-match they can deny boarding.