+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card - interview AFTER landing?

HedgedHog

Sep 2, 2011
Hi all.

I have a similar problem to many others in this forum, in that myself and my family landed in Canada in June in order to activate our PR visas, but had to return home to finalise our affairs there before receiving our PR cards. To date neither myself nor my 2 children have received our cards or any other notification, but my wife received a letter at the Canadian address we supplied headed "Permanent resident card referral" which simply states that "you are required to attend an interview at the local CIC" and requests that she bring her passport, confirmation of PR form, a photo, and an appointment notice.

What concerns me is that, unlike most of the examples I see in this forum, the letter makes no mention of a problem with her photo, leading me to presume that there must be some other problem? Does anyone have any idea of what types of problems could cause a letter of this type? The letter makes no mention of the need for an appointment, but refers to an "appointment notice". Would I be required to make an appointment via the CIC call centre, on the assumption that I can actually get through?

Given that it will take some time to finalise our affairs, I am only likely to be returning to Canada in about 18 months. On the assumption that I would prefer not to have to travel back to Canada for just this interview, would my simplest course of action from here be to simply ignore the interview request and let the PR card lapse after the stated 180 days and then return to Canada using a travel document at which time the whole family, or those who have not received a PR card, can reapply for one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HedgedHog said:
Given that it will take some time to finalise our affairs, I am only likely to be returning to Canada in about 18 months. On the assumption that I would prefer not to have to travel back to Canada for just this interview, would my simplest course of action from here be to simply ignore the interview request and let the PR card lapse after the stated 180 days and then return to Canada using a travel document at which time the whole family, or those who have not received a PR card, can reapply for one? Any advice would be appreciated.
Did you get your PR via PNP and land in another province or something like that? I think you should not ignore this interview request. You should try to find out what it is about. Send a letter to the local CIC and explain to them that you are outside the country and will not be returning soon. Ask them what the interview is about, if you can do it at the nearest embassy or through the phone or clear something up by mailing some documents or if they can postpone the interview until you are in Canada again.

HedgedHog

Sep 2, 2011
Leon said:
Did you get your PR via PNP and land in another province or something like that? I think you should not ignore this interview request. You should try to find out what it is about. Send a letter to the local CIC and explain to them that you are outside the country and will not be returning soon. Ask them what the interview is about, if you can do it at the nearest embassy or through the phone or clear something up by mailing some documents or if they can postpone the interview until you are in Canada again.
No. I obtained this PR via the skilled worker route by applying from my home country. I had thought that this was pretty straightforward, and since I have been granted the PR visa, and have landed and activated the visa, I can't see how there could be any problem other than something related to the production of the actual PR card?

Additionally, the letter highlights the 180 day time limit to "provide required elements to produce a permanent resident card in Canada", failing which one would need to pay $50 and reapply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I still think you should send a letter and state to them that you can not make it to the interview.

boxsterspeed3

Sep 5, 2010
Hi! I have the same problem with the permanent resident card..i have to go to the CIC office for an interview and bring the required documents..

Do you have any idea guys on what is the interview all about?

Thanks!

melo

Jul 7, 2011
boxsterspeed3 : they will ask you to proof that you spent 730 days in the last 5 years so you will havbe to bring the passport , leases , sub , bills ,.......................