+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card In-person pick-up, Montreal office

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi dpenabill,

Thank you for this response, I truly appreciate the time you spent explaining everything.

I was expecting that my application would take time, but not this long frankly. As well as I've expected being chosen to pick-it up at the office just to verify that I am here in Canada.

I'll start with the response to your last point. I actually do know for a fact that my application has been approved as it shows "Decision made" since September 22nd, and I got it in writing " as an answer to one of the few webforms I've sent IRCC regarding why my application lengthy waiting period. I am quite sure that I met the residency obligation the day I've applied to renew the card. Yet my concern in my last post was that as the days go, my in-Canada days will become very short to the 730 days (counting the period 2016-2021) Making it hard for me to go see my parents until the beginning of 2022. Not sure if this explains why I said what I've said in my previous post.
When did you land? Are you aware that RO becomes a rolling total after the first 5 years? After the first 5 years you need to meet the 2 out of 5 year RO on any day. If you aren't meeting your RO then visiting your parents will always come with risk.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I was expecting that my application would take time, but not this long frankly. As well as I've expected being chosen to pick-it up at the office just to verify that I am here in Canada.

I'll start with the response to your last point. I actually do know for a fact that my application has been approved as it shows "Decision made" since September 22nd, and I got it in writing " as an answer to one of the few webforms I've sent IRCC regarding why my application lengthy waiting period. I am quite sure that I met the residency obligation the day I've applied to renew the card. Yet my concern in my last post was that as the days go, my in-Canada days will become very short to the 730 days (counting the period 2016-2021) Making it hard for me to go see my parents until the beginning of 2022. Not sure if this explains why I said what I've said in my previous post.

An Update:

I got an email on Wednesday from the officer who is in charge of my file, requesting me to send a new set of photographs so they can send me my PR Card by mail. In my head, I think they are doing this to ensure that I am here because I can't go to the office due to covid. What frustrating is that they will be closed until Jan. 11th due to the lockdown in Quebec. I wonder how long does it usually take to send the PR card after such a request?
There is probably rather little you can do about getting a PR card much if at all sooner. Especially in YOUR situation. Especially given YOUR HISTORY. The box you are in appears to be largely if not almost entirely about the latter, complicated by the current circumstances attendant the global pandemic, for sure, but mostly the product of your failure to have established your permanent residence in Canada for so long . . . no deep investigation necessary to apprehend it at least appears you failed to follow through with the purpose of obtaining PR status.

There are multiple aspects of your situation which make it outside norms or "routine" processing. Not the least of which I have previously noted, and that is the extent to which you have continued to be cutting-it-close and appear to NOT have followed through with the purpose of obtaining PR status. At the LEAST, at the very LEAST, this elevates the likelihood of non-routine procedures complicating and delaying the process. And it also makes it far more difficult to forecast how particular aspects of the process will go.

ADD to THAT COVID-19. The pandemic has skewered even the most routine procedures, let alone complicating non-routine cases.

If at this stage, around a decade into being a PR and regarding compliance with the RO you are still cutting-it-so-close, which appears to be the situation, so much so that EVEN if you have a new PR card there could be some question about RO compliance the next time you leave and return to Canada (which, again, appears to be the situation), it might be time to sort out your priorities.

As for being frustrated . . .

. . . more than four decades ago, when I was relatively young, athletic, and adventuresome, I spent much of a winter day climbing toward the summit of high alpine peaks in deep back country, intending to enjoy skiing an open untracked bowl on the other side of the ridge. I ignored some warning signs, mostly in the way freshly fallen snow had been blown from windward slopes and deposited on lee slopes, and when I reached the ridge I hesitated but nonetheless went over, off the cornice and down into the bowl . . . which I soon realized was extremely prone to avalanche given a mean wind-slab hanging precariously on the steep mountainside. My best gamble then, I calculated, albeit not a good one, was to retreat, to get back to the ridge and leave the area the way I had come. My frustration increased dramatically as I made the effort to climb back to the ridge, wallowing up to my arm-pits in deep snow, well aware the cornice could collapse any moment, triggering an avalanche. It was literally a struggle to move inch-by-inch. I was indeed seriously, severely FRUSTRATED. Not the snow's fault. Not the wind's fault. Not the mountain's fault. I put myself there.
As FRUSTRATED as I was, there was no way out but to continue my effort to work toward safety, well aware that my life itself was very much at risk, at the mercy of forces largely beyond my control. I panicked, made an error, and things did not go well. Except I did survive the fall. Somehow. Miraculously some would say. Mostly, I GUESS, because I was at the top of the avalanche, plunging down the mountainside tumbling in the sliding snow but with the bulk of the snow ahead of me, not coming down on me. So I can tell the tale. And know very, very well what it is like to have taken oneself into a place that can be excruciatingly frustrating. And once there, to know how that feels.

For you, things are largely a matter of what is, is what is. You have maneuvered yourself into this place. Covid-19 has made things more complicated. My impression is that even getting a new PR card will NOT resolve things much UNLESS you arrange your affairs to settle in Canada, and keeping your PR status may largely depend on mostly staying in Canada for at least a good while.

zigmund_f1856

Feb 16, 2021
An Update:

I got an email on Wednesday from the officer who is in charge of my file, requesting me to send a new set of photographs so they can send me my PR Card by mail. In my head, I think they are doing this to ensure that I am here because I can't go to the office due to covid. What frustrating is that they will be closed until Jan. 11th due to the lockdown in Quebec. I wonder how long does it usually take to send the PR card after such a request?
Hi Dear,
Reading your posts, it seems like I am at a very similar situation with yours. Could you please kindly let me know how you could get a hold of the officer in charge of your case? The only thing I can do is to send an email via webmail or calling the CIC call center. How did they decide to send the card by mail instead of having you pick up the card?
Thank you!

OluwaT

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
An Update:

OluwaT

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
An Update:

Hello,
How did you get the agent in charge.
I have been waiting since September too.
Did you get your card yet

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
They are just asking you to mail in correct PR card photos. May be your on file is too old or not to the exact requirement for PR card.

Just send them in. If they really want to see if you are physically here, they instead of mailing your PR card after, they could request you to pick it up from an office.