+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card expiry URGENT

LFifi

Jan 29, 2019
Hello all,
No harsh comments pls
My pr card is expiring so so soon and I am currently outside Canada and can’t go back due to airports closures! My plane was supposed to be way before the card expires but due to COVID19, everything keeps cancelling
I do not meet the RO to renew my pr or issue a prtd
My whole life is now in Canada! I have to go back ..
Is there anything to do?
Also I have a Canadian son accompanying me

i contacted the consulate they told me to issue a prtd even tho I explained I do not meet the RO they just kept telling me to check the requirements on the website and apply .. I AM STUCK!
Any input would be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,
No harsh comments pls
My pr card is expiring so so soon and I am currently outside Canada and can’t go back due to airports closures! My plane was supposed to be way before the card expires but due to COVID19, everything keeps cancelling
I do not meet the RO to renew my pr or issue a prtd
My whole life is now in Canada! I have to go back ..
Is there anything to do?
Also I have a Canadian son accompanying me

i contacted the consulate they told me to issue a prtd even tho I explained I do not meet the RO they just kept telling me to check the requirements on the website and apply .. I AM STUCK!
Any input would be appreciated
When you say the airports are closed, are you referring to the airports in the country where you are now? Canadian airports are still open to select travelers.

If you don't meet RO, you have a pretty big problem on your hands. A PR card renewal or PRTD isn't going to be approved. Without one of those, you cannot fly to Canada directly. The airline won't let you board.

You really only have one option. This is to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land boarder. However right now that might be more tricky to to the essential travel border restrictions. So hard to say if this will even work.

What were your reasons for being outside of Canada for so long?

Reactions: LFifi

LFifi

Jan 29, 2019
airports closing in the country I am in now
As for the reasons, when I first landed I was a dependant and was still in university, I finished and lived in Canada but also travelled a lot, I also sponsored my husband and it took so long, so when the process was done I travelled to stay with him for two months before travelling back to Canada and stay together there.
I know I can not issue a PRTD now but I was hoping with all the craziness going on with COVID they might give an exception or smth on the pr expiry date .. hoping
I want to go back ASAP :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
airports closing in the country I am in now
As for the reasons, when I first landed I was a dependant and was still in university, I finished and lived in Canada but also travelled a lot, I also sponsored my husband and it took so long, so when the process was done I travelled to stay with him for two months before travelling back to Canada and stay together there.
I know I can not issue a PRTD now but I was hoping with all the craziness going on with COVID they might give an exception or smth on the pr expiry date .. hoping
I want to go back ASAP :(
Got it. Unfortunately those reasons for remaining outside of Canada will be regarded as personal choices and won't qualify under H&C.

At this time there have been no announcements regarding exemptions / exceptions. Are you missing RO by just a few days or 1-2 weeks - or by a significant margin? If just a few days or couple of weeks, then maybe there's a case to be made. If you're off by a wide margin, then I'm not sure IRCC will be very sympathetic since the residency requirement is a continuous obligation (not just at the time you are renewing your PR card).

Anyway, if airports are closed where you are now, then you really don't have much choice but to wait things out and see what happens over the next several weeks / months.

LFifi

Jan 29, 2019
Got it. Unfortunately those reasons for remaining outside of Canada will be regarded as personal choices and won't qualify under H&C.

At this time there have been no announcements regarding exemptions / exceptions. Are you missing RO by just a few days or 1-2 weeks - or by a significant margin? If just a few days or couple of weeks, then maybe there's a case to be made. If you're off by a wide margin, then I'm not sure IRCC will be very sympathetic since the residency requirement is a continuous obligation (not just at the time you are renewing your PR card).

Anyway, if airports are closed where you are now, then you really don't have much choice but to wait things out and see what happens over the next several weeks / months.
What is H&C???

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What is H&C???
Human and compassionate reasons such as looking after terminaly ill relative when there are no other close relatives or support system. Failing the RO due to an accumulation of travel outside of Canada would be seen as a personal decision not H&C.

The thing is even if you had made it back to Canada before your card expired but had not met the RO at the time of coming back the chances are the process to revoke your PR status may well have started anyway although of course nobody can predict if that would happen. Now your card has expired it just brings that possibility forward should you apply for a PRTD regardless of the COVID situation..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is H&C???
As said above, Humanitarian and Compassionate. However none of your reasons for failing to meet the residency requirement fall under this clause (i.e. studying outside of Canada, traveling). So I don't see H&C helping you in any way unfortunately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also seem to be sponsoring your spouse. Are you aware that you must be compliant with your RO to sponsor a spouse.

soheilhs

Sep 16, 2016
Hello,

As @Bs65 said, even though you are being issued a PRTD, upon arrival you would be given A44 report, under non-compliance ground. Here is my advice.

1- If you are National of a visa exempted countries, and you may travel to the U.S., try to get there first, and then cross borders with private vehicle.

if this is not the case:

2-Go ahead with PRTD application. try to explain the situation why you had to be out of Canada this long. The officer may consider H&C grounds within your application. Depends on your nationality, and the situation in your home country, best interest of the child may apply.

IF you have been in Canada, once in the last 365 days, even though your PRTD is refused, you may appeal the decision to the IAD and once you have done it, the visa office shall issue you a PRTD.

So, I am not sure, if this is the case and whether you have been in Canada in the last 365 days...