+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Expiry Issue - Need Help!

a_khan

Jun 19, 2012
Hey all,

I am writing to discuss permanent residency application for my mother. She came to Canada in July, 2012 as a permanent resident along with me and my father (we both are citizens now).

For family reasons she was not able to stay here for longer time since July 2012 and had to go back to Pakistan. Her PR card is going to expire in September 2017. She stayed in Canada for 435 days in these years as per presence calculator from CIC website.

She is planning to come in August this year.

My questions are:

1. Will she get renewal easily as my father is a Canadian citizen.
  2. When should she apply for renewal of her PR card? CIC website says it should be before 6 months of expiry of PR Card.

Thanks,
A

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You and your fathers citizenship has no bearing on the requirement for your mother to meet the residency obligation. If she can travel to Canada prior to its expiry, and without being reported at entry, she shouldn't renew it until she meets the 2 year residency plus a safety margin. Renewing before she is compliant can still result in her PR coming under review for not meeting RO. She should avoid contact with IRCC until she is compliant.