Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
My brother didnt realize that his PR card his expiring. He has applied for renewal and we applied for faster processing back in October but haven't heard back anything yet. He does meet all the criteria to remain permanent resident.

So what happens if he leaves Canada before the PR card arrives in the mail?
I saw on the CIC website that we could apply for a travel document but the forms looks exactly the same, if it is going to take as long as the PR card itself then what would be the point?

I am wondering would they just straight up refuse him entry or would he be able to land here and fill out a form or go through some other hassle to get back home.

Please advise

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My brother didnt realize that his PR card his expiring. He has applied for renewal and we applied for faster processing back in October but haven't heard back anything yet. He does meet all the criteria to remain permanent resident.

So what happens if he leaves Canada before the PR card arrives in the mail?
I saw on the CIC website that we could apply for a travel document but the forms looks exactly the same, if it is going to take as long as the PR card itself then what would be the point?

I am wondering would they just straight up refuse him entry or would he be able to land here and fill out a form or go through some other hassle to get back home.

Please advise

Thanks
Did he meet the specific travel requirement to request faster processing? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html
If not, then he should expect regular processing time of 2-3 months.

He can leave the country no problem. It's returning that will be the issue. If driving, there is no problem as CBSA can simply look up his PR status at any US/Canada land border.

However if flying on anything but a US passport, he will not be able to board an airplane to Canada without a valid PR card or PR Travel Document. This rule is strictly enforced by the airlines and there are no exceptions to this.

If he has a US passport, he should be able to board an airplane from just his passport (since no eTA is required for US citizens).

The PR Travel Document is applied for in the country he's visiting, after he arrives there. PR TDs can take a few weeks to process and deliver, so he would need to make sure he's in the destination country long enough to do this.

Reactions: jatt-going-canada

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
Thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate it. He did submit an urgent processing request but he is going there to attend a wedding and some other stuff. Nothing serious, so chances of getting it processed urgently are slim. We did attach tickets with the letter though so we’ll see.

He’ll be out of Canada for 3 months. If the or card doesn’t come through, I hope the local office is quick enough to issue a travel document.

Also are the PR cards sent by mail or you have to collect them? If Its the former then I could receive the mail and might be able to send the PR card to him with someone else who’s traveling soon.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciate it. He did submit an urgent processing request but he is going there to attend a wedding and some other stuff. Nothing serious, so chances of getting it processed urgently are slim. We did attach tickets with the letter though so we’ll see.

He’ll be out of Canada for 3 months. If the or card doesn’t come through, I hope the local office is quick enough to issue a travel document.

Also are the PR cards sent by mail or you have to collect them? If Its the former then I could receive the mail and might be able to send the PR card to him with someone else who’s traveling soon.
The conditions for urgent processing are very specific - job or medical reasons only. "wedding and other stuff" doesn't come close to meeting the requirements, so there is no chance it will be done urgently.

For PR TD, he will need to see the closest VAC (Visa Application Centre) to the city he's visiting. If it's close enough to do in person he can physically drop off/pick up the PR TD which will speed up the process. Else if it's in a city that's not close, he'll need to mail the PR TD app and his passport to the VAC to process the PR TD, and they will mail everything back to him. 3 months though is more than enough time.

PR card can be sent by mail, or sometimes iRCC requests the PR picks up card in person. So you'll need to wait and see what they ask. If it's mailed, then yes the PR card can be delivered in person or via courier to your brother.

Reactions: jatt-going-canada

Arisbravo

Dec 30, 2017
Hi, my friend is going to US on January 18 and will be coming back on January 22. She applied for her pr renewal but it seems it will not artive on time but her pr card expires on February 12. Will the immigration still allow her in to Canada and use her old PR card?

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
Hi, my friend is going to US on January 18 and will be coming back on January 22. She applied for her pr renewal but it seems it will not artive on time but her pr card expires on February 12. Will the immigration still allow her in to Canada and use her old PR card?
A little late for the reply but it should be ok because her old one has not expired yet. You only run into problems when your PR card has expired and you’re out of the country