+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expires in 3 months, can I still enter Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. I do have a Ph.D (Public health Dentistry) from the University of Adelaide, Australia and Degrees from Ireland and UK Royal College of Surgeons, Over 50 publications in high impact factor journals but no grants. Its not easy to get grants from outside Canada unless one is employed in Canada and can look for collaborations. I have been looking for opportunities since quite some time despite the personal issues I have at the moment. But there are hardly any in the 10 universities in Canada and mostly people who have pursued a higher degree in Canada are employed by their supervisors. This has been the experience. In many of the positions academia the interviewers know whom they are looking for.
Please see this site:
https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/prospective-students/international-dentists

Are you accredited as a dentist in any of Australia, NZ, UK, USA or Ireland? This says that if you 'qualified' in those countries, Canada will recognize.

Because it seems to me you are overthinking this: if you can be licensed here, you work as a dentist to pay the bills, and pursue other opportunities in parallel as you build a network here. I'm assuming your experience is not just as an academic.

If you can't figure this out on your own, I suspect there are specialized placement agencies that can help. My understanding is a lot of practices need extra competent hands.

As far as the academic side, I have only peripheral exposure to it - but my understanding (more from the medical side) is that while a full-time position is not that common, the big schools and teaching hospitals work with a lot of doctors on non full-time basis. Perhaps those later can develop into more serious, I don't know.

Hope this helps, I repeat, I'm not an expert, but you have to get on this if you want to proceed to move. If you already know all this and I've msised the obvious, ignore of course.

Good luck.

Reactions: meghashyam75

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please see this site:

Are you accredited as a dentist in any of Australia, NZ, UK, USA or Ireland? This says that if you 'qualified' in those countries, Canada will recognize.

Because it seems to me you are overthinking this: if you can be licensed here, you work as a dentist to pay the bills, and pursue other opportunities in parallel as you build a network here. I'm assuming your experience is not just as an academic.

If you can't figure this out on your own, I suspect there are specialized placement agencies that can help. My understanding is a lot of practices need extra competent hands.

As far as the academic side, I have only peripheral exposure to it - but my understanding (more from the medical side) is that while a full-time position is not that common, the big schools and teaching hospitals work with a lot of doctors on non full-time basis. Perhaps those later can develop into more serious, I don't know.

Hope this helps, I repeat, I'm not an expert, but you have to get on this if you want to proceed to move. If you already know all this and I've msised the obvious, ignore of course.

Good luck.
It’s unclear whether this person has ever practiced dentistry and when was the last time they have practiced dentistry. If you haven’t practiced in very long period of time you may not be able to get licensed as easily as graduates from US, UK, Ireland, Australia, etc. who are currently practicing and want to move to Canada and continue working as a dentist. if someone works as a dentist in Canada it will still be extremely difficult to ever find a position in academia in Canada. In many healthcare programs many dentists, pharmacist, nurses, MDs, etc. are hired to supervise labs for example. The job is often is a half day a week during the school year but that wouldn’t really be considered academia. It is usually viewed as giving back to the profession. People do it because it looks good on their resume and it breaks up their work week. They also may want to pursue a more administrative role at the professional school or other teaching/supervisor role although not necessarily an true academia position, If you are a head of a department at a university most people only leave if they have already secured another similar position because the jobs often available. it isn’t like other jobs where there are very frequent job openings. These positions may only come up every few decades in some schools. If moving to Canada I think OP needs to be prepared that they may not be able to secure a position in academia and that funding an entry level position will be extremely difficult because they overqualified.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It’s unclear whether this person has ever practiced dentistry and when was the last time they have practiced dentistry.
Clearly important to these points.

If moving to Canada I think OP needs to be prepared that they may not be able to secure a position in academia and that funding an entry level position will be extremely difficult because they overqualified.
I believe, read carefully, that was my point.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi meghashyam75,

When you are planning to enter in Canada? How many days you have left to expire your PR card. Did you plan which port of entry you will use to enter Canada. Let us share your experience once you face the immigration at the PoE. I heard it is very important to develop a network in order to get a good position in Canada. I am sure, with your impressive professional background and many years of experience, you will surely find a job in Canada. Best of luck.

Best regards,

Eusufzai
[/QUOTH
Please see this site:

Good luck.
Thank you. I am an overseas trained dentist (India) who later chose academia over clinical practice. I can apply for temporary registration as a dentist in the countries you have mentioned and not full registration to practice independently. However my interest in Canada would have been to work in public health organizations/ universities as an academic. The reason I applied for PR was to increase my chances of landing jobs but then I find everything is highly regulated even in the field of public health.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
It’s unclear whether this person has ever practiced dentistry and when was the last time they have practiced dentistry. If you haven’t practiced in very long period of time you may not be able to get licensed as easily as graduates from US, UK, Ireland, Australia, etc. who are currently practicing and want to move to Canada and continue working as a dentist. if someone works as a dentist in Canada it will still be extremely difficult to ever find a position in academia in Canada. In many healthcare programs many dentists, pharmacist, nurses, MDs, etc. are hired to supervise labs for example. The job is often is a half day a week during the school year but that wouldn’t really be considered academia. It is usually viewed as giving back to the profession. People do it because it looks good on their resume and it breaks up their work week. They also may want to pursue a more administrative role at the professional school or other teaching/supervisor role although not necessarily an true academia position, If you are a head of a department at a university most people only leave if they have already secured another similar position because the jobs often available. it isn’t like other jobs where there are very frequent job openings. These positions may only come up every few decades in some schools. If moving to Canada I think OP needs to be prepared that they may not be able to secure a position in academia and that funding an entry level position will be extremely difficult because they overqualified.
Thank you and you are right@canuck78. Its been a while since I have been in clinical dental practice. Although I surpervise students my specialty is largely non-clinical and mostly academic, Also I am overqualified. I had earlier thought being overqualified would help. I sadly note that being overqualified acts as an obstacle in landing jobs!

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi meghashyam75,

When you are planning to enter in Canada? How many days you have left to expire your PR card. Did you plan which port of entry you will use to enter Canada. Let us share your experience once you face the immigration at the PoE. I heard it is very important to develop a network in order to get a good position in Canada. I am sure, with your impressive professional background and many years of experience, you will surely find a job in Canada. Best of luck.

Best regards,

Eusufzai
Thank you I have a few months left on my PR card. Not decided on the date yet but will make the entry shortly (2 mths). I hope to share a positive experience. I have not decided on the POE. I believe all the POE's follow the same rule book.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you and you are right@canuck78. Its been a while since I have been in clinical dental practice. Although I surpervise students my specialty is largely non-clinical and mostly academic, Also I am overqualified. I had earlier thought being overqualified would help. I sadly note that being overqualified acts as an obstacle in landing jobs!
Is there a reason you seem determined to move to Canada? How old are you? You seem to have a very good job and likely a good life that will be very difficult to achieve in Canada. You have already tried to secure position and know how difficult it will be to transition to Canada. Seems crazy to come to Canada and struggle to even secure an entry level position unless you were really struggling in your home country. I assume you must be over 40 which means that it become even harder to start from scratch and things like retirement have to be a factor in your equation.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Is there a reason you seem determined to move to Canada? How old are you? You seem to have a very good job and likely a good life that will be very difficult to achieve in Canada. You have already tried to secure position and know how difficult it will be to transition to Canada. Seems crazy to come to Canada and struggle to even secure an entry level position unless you were really struggling in your home country. I assume you must be over 40 which means that it become even harder to start from scratch and things like retirement have to be a factor in your equation.
Hi @canuck78 I am 47. I hold a decent post in my home country also I am eligible to practice in my home country. I know it's hell difficult to get the same position in Canada at this time. There are some reasons like the quality of life, the personal freedom that I would get in Canada which would not be possible where I currently live. The only issue I have is an ailing parent that makes things difficult to remain in Canada without a valid PR card. I am in a dilemma when people say that I would have a hard time getting beyond the POE with a breach in RO. I am really confused.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78 I am 47. I hold a decent post in my home country also I am eligible to practice in my home country. I know it's hell difficult to get the same position in Canada at this time. There are some reasons like the quality of life, the personal freedom that I would get in Canada which would not be possible where I currently live. The only issue I have is an ailing parent that makes things difficult to remain in Canada without a valid PR card. I am in a dilemma when people say that I would have a hard time getting beyond the POE with a breach in RO. I am really confused.
Are you prepared to remain in Canada for 2.5 years until you meet your RO and Cana apply for a new PR card? If you have ailing parents you may need to leave Canada during that time. If reported and appealing you also should want to remain in Canada although a short visit will likely be possible. You wouldn’t want to spend much time out of Canada if you are appealing to keep your PR. There is ageism in many industries in Canada so getting an entry level position will likely be difficult based on your age and also because the fact that you are overqualified. Unless you have many million of dollars in savings (more is likely needed) so you don’t have to worry cost of living, housing, retirement, cost of education if you have children, have the funds to afford to pay for some of the help that you could easily afford in India, etc. many experience a decrease in their quality of life especially if you were upper middle class or higher in India. Most people do their own yard work, shovel their own snow, rake their own leaves, cook their own meals, do their own food whoooing, clean their own home (some do hire a cleaning service for a few hours a week or every second week if they have the extra income and it’s a priority versus using the money for other splurges), need to have both parents work to support their family financially possible, etc. so cost of living often decreases if you are coming from an upper middle class lifestyle or more. You do have access to a more liberal society, cleaner air, etc. so life will be different in Canada but necessary better. The job opportunities and pay are also getting much better especially in certain industries. Have you given notice to your current employer? Do you have a plan if you are reported at the border. Will you appeal or will you return to India and hopefully you can return to your old job?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Are you prepared to remain in Canada for 2.5 years until you meet your RO and Cana apply for a new PR card? If you have ailing parents you may need to leave Canada during that time. If reported and appealing you also should want to remain in Canada although a short visit will likely be possible. You wouldn’t want to spend much time out of Canada if you are appealing to keep your PR. There is ageism in many industries in Canada so getting an entry level position will likely be difficult based on your age and also because the fact that you are overqualified. Unless you have many million of dollars in savings (more is likely needed) so you don’t have to worry cost of living, housing, retirement, cost of education if you have children, have the funds to afford to pay for some of the help that you could easily afford in India, etc. many experience a decrease in their quality of life especially if you were upper middle class or higher in India. Most people do their own yard work, shovel their own snow, rake their own leaves, cook their own meals, do their own food whoooing, clean their own home (some do hire a cleaning service for a few hours a week or every second week if they have the extra income and it’s a priority versus using the money for other splurges), need to have both parents work to support their family financially possible, etc. so cost of living often decreases if you are coming from an upper middle class lifestyle or more. You do have access to a more liberal society, cleaner air, etc. so life will be different in Canada but necessary better. The job opportunities and pay are also getting much better especially in certain industries. Have you given notice to your current employer? Do you have a plan if you are reported at the border. Will you appeal or will you return to India and hopefully you can return to your old job?
You can be rich as a dentist compered with the other people of the country, but the life quality maybe not the same as in Canada. This absolutely depends.
For the OP, if you own a dental business, find a partner to continue, pay three years in Canada for your license is not bad. If you fail, you can go back. If you want to retire in Canada, apply for citizenship then leave. But if you are an employee, think it twice. If you are 27 other than 47, that's another thing.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can be rich as a dentist compered with the other people of the country, but the life quality maybe not the same as in Canada. This absolutely depends.
For the OP, if you own a dental business, find a partner to continue, pay three years in Canada for your license is not bad. If you fail, you can go back. If you want to retire in Canada, apply for citizenship then leave. But if you are an employee, think it twice. If you are 27 other than 47, that's another thing.
They haven’t been a practicing dentist for a very long time (maybe over a decade) and may have difficult getting licensed in Canada as a dentist given they haven’t been a practicing dentist for a very long time. They also don’t seem to want to become a practicing dentist. Given their education history and job title they are likely in their 40s. The academic position that they have comes after working in academia for a quite a while and is tough to become a head of a department. It would be difficult to get any university position in Canada. Given their position and education they likely lead a comfortable life in India.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
They haven’t been a practicing dentist for a very long time (maybe over a decade) and may have difficult getting licensed in Canada as a dentist given they haven’t been a practicing dentist for a very long time. They also don’t seem to want to become a practicing dentist. Given their education history and job title they are likely in their 40s. The academic position that they have comes after working in academia for a quite a while and is tough to become a head of a department. It would be difficult to get any university position in Canada. Given their position and education they likely lead a comfortable life in India.
@canuck78 Yes you are right I have been in academia for over 2 decades but I am still treating patients but not actively. The licensing process in Canada is very tedious and I do not hold full registration in countries where Canada has reciprocal registration. Many overseas dental academics in Canadian universities are from other countries and work in academia on a temporary license which is renewable on a yearly basis. I have made a detailed job search and most universities reply that they don't have positions despite the fact that a large proportion of people in academia are retiring. But some people tell me that one's presence in Canada can make a difference in landing a job, I was initially also told that having a PR would make a great difference in getting a job which I certainly feel is not true. So this is my last try. If reported I shall explain my circumstances and try for a job in academia (if not successful) return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 Yes you are right I have been in academia for over 2 decades but I am still treating patients but not actively. The licensing process in Canada is very tedious and I do not hold full registration in countries where Canada has reciprocal registration. Many overseas dental academics in Canadian universities are from other countries and work in academia on a temporary license which is renewable on a yearly basis. I have made a detailed job search and most universities reply that they don't have positions despite the fact that a large proportion of people in academia are retiring. But some people tell me that one's presence in Canada can make a difference in landing a job, I was initially also told that having a PR would make a great difference in getting a job which I certainly feel is not true. So this is my last try. If reported I shall explain my circumstances and try for a job in academia (if not successful) return.
Being a PR or citizen can help getting a job in a university but you can get a job without PR or citizenship if you are bringing exciting research with you that will attract money, other students, publicity, etc. Having Canadian experience and knowledge is often what is important which is why being a citizen or PR is important. For example most professors or lab supervisors will be expected to have experience working in Canada as a dentist. The average age in academia is on the older end because people tend to stay in positions for decades. There tends to be a junior professor that is waiting in line to take over for the professor retiring. The majority of hiring is done within the university. There aren’t many jobs so of you don’t have a good chance you move on and try to find other opportunities. It becomes pretty clear who is likely being groomed to take over although some get stabbed in the back when an external candidate is found that the university decides should get the job so nothing is ever set in stone. There are a lot of PhD students who end up teaching all over the world because they can’t find university teaching jobs in Canada. The universities rarely hire professor for full-time or permanent positions these days so many associate professor work part-time as a professor and do other things as well. They worry about there contract not being renewed every year. I have seen some colleges only hire teachers by the semester which is awful. I have a friend who lives in Toronto but could only get hired as an associate professor outside Toronto so they commuted to the university for 2 days a week to teach and returned to do research at another institute in Toronto for the rest of the time. Universities are very reluctant to hire professors on a permanent full-time basis which used to be quite easy. Tenure is even harder to get which used to be just a matter or time. Colleges are even worse. The pay is very quite low so most have to teach at 2 schools. Or work full-time and teach as an additional job. Not being able to find a job in Canada especially from abroad isn’t considered H&C reason. Are you able to take a sabbatical (1 year) from your old job? I worry that you won’t find any jobs that are in public health dentistry whether at a university or at another organization or government but will have also lost a very good job you had in India. Just finding a job in general that isn’t a survival job could be difficult because you will be overqualified for so many positions but are qualified in a very niche industry and should be employed at a more senior level. You are also middle aged with no Canadian experience. People in their 40s, 50s and 60s struggle to get into the job market a lot more than those under 40. For those over 40 getting a transfer from an employer is usually the best way to get into the Canadian job market unless you are in a skilled profession like IT where there is a universal language and there is a skills assessmemt as part of th enter view process. If you were able to take a sabbatical you could return to your old job if things don’t work out in Canada in a year. That also assumes that you avoid getting reported.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Being a PR or citizen can help getting a job in a university but you can get a job without PR or citizenship if you are bringing exciting research with you that will attract money, other students, publicity, etc. Having Canadian experience and knowledge is often what is important which is why being a citizen or PR is important. For example most professors or lab supervisors will be expected to have experience working in Canada as a dentist. The average age in academia is on the older end because people tend to stay in positions for decades. There tends to be a junior professor that is waiting in line to take over for the professor retiring. The majority of hiring is done within the university. There aren’t many jobs so of you don’t have a good chance you move on and try to find other opportunities. It becomes pretty clear who is likely being groomed to take over although some get stabbed in the back when an external candidate is found that the university decides should get the job so nothing is ever set in stone. There are a lot of PhD students who end up teaching all over the world because they can’t find university teaching jobs in Canada. The universities rarely hire professor for full-time or permanent positions these days so many associate professor work part-time as a professor and do other things as well. They worry about there contract not being renewed every year. I have seen some colleges only hire teachers by the semester which is awful. I have a friend who lives in Toronto but could only get hired as an associate professor outside Toronto so they commuted to the university for 2 days a week to teach and returned to do research at another institute in Toronto for the rest of the time. Universities are very reluctant to hire professors on a permanent full-time basis which used to be quite easy. Tenure is even harder to get which used to be just a matter or time. Colleges are even worse. The pay is very quite low so most have to teach at 2 schools. Or work full-time and teach as an additional job. Not being able to find a job in Canada especially from abroad isn’t considered H&C reason. Are you able to take a sabbatical (1 year) from your old job? I worry that you won’t find any jobs that are in public health dentistry whether at a university or at another organization or government but will have also lost a very good job you had in India. Just finding a job in general that isn’t a survival job could be difficult because you will be overqualified for so many positions but are qualified in a very niche industry and should be employed at a more senior level. You are also middle aged with no Canadian experience. People in their 40s, 50s and 60s struggle to get into the job market a lot more than those under 40. For those over 40 getting a transfer from an employer is usually the best way to get into the Canadian job market unless you are in a skilled profession like IT where there is a universal language and there is a skills assessmemt as part of th enter view process. If you were able to take a sabbatical you could return to your old job if things don’t work out in Canada in a year. That also assumes that you avoid getting reported.
Hi @canuck78 Well. I have tried putting in research proposals with MUN NL considering the chronic illnesses there and also the fact that its a quite remote in Canada but academics don't seem to be to keen on applying for funding in Canada. As I earlier said I would need to have a position in Canada to attract funding. Well its disheartening to note that the academic scenario in Canada is bad. The system of sabbatical is almost scrapped here considering that there are many contenders to fill up one's place. Sabbatical is offered only if one gains a position with a university that has an MOU with the university/school I work in. On another note I wish to know if you or anyone here could advise me if there is a chance that the electronic kiosk can flag a person in breach of residency? what would be the best time/weekday or weekend to land considering that one is traveling from India at Pearson?