+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expired as minor can I renew it as an undergraduate

crayonmath

Jul 24, 2017
Hi guys, so my case is that I got my pr card when I was 9 , we stayed for 2 months in the 5 years and chose for it to expire. now I have an expired pr card in my history. to re-enter Canada, as an undergraduate student who wants to live in Canada forever. my guess is to apply for a travel document to re-enter Canada as a permanent resident. that application would be rejected, and I would have to appeal. my questions are:
  1. is this the exact procedure to re enter Canada as a pr.
  2. if yes, will they accept my appeal (I was a minor when my pr card expired and was with my parents and not in control of my parent's decisions)
  3. will they accept my travel document appeal as they usually give a pr to people after they get jobs, not when they go simply for their undergrad course
  4. if they reject it, can I renounce my pr status, go on a study visa, and get the pr some years later (when I get a job)?
Please reply fast guys, this is urgent. thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Depending on how old you are now as the older you get post 18 the harder it gets to justify you could apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds exactly as you suggest that you had no choice but to leave with your parents. There are plenty of posts on this forum if you search for them with similar circumstances although unfortunately rarely does anyone post if they were successful or not.

Maybe focus on regaining PR as opposed to thinking about option (4) as many people have applied and assume succeeded if they put together a good case that they want to establish themselves in Canada. There are no guarantees but worth a try.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

Reactions: crayonmath

crayonmath

Jul 24, 2017
Depending on how old you are now as the older you get post 18 the harder it gets to justify you could apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds exactly as you suggest that you had no choice but to leave with your parents. There are plenty of posts on this forum if you search for them with similar circumstances although unfortunately rarely does anyone post if they were successful or not.

Maybe focus on regaining PR as opposed to thinking about option (4) as many people have applied and assume succeeded if they put together a good case that they want to establish themselves in Canada. There are no guarantees but worth a try.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf
Thanks a lot.
Would they have any reason to reject my PR (in option 4) because I have a renounced one in my history?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks a lot.
Would they have any reason to reject my PR (in option 4) because I have a renounced one in my history?
Renouncing PR should have no impact to any future PR application which would be assessed based on the qualifying criteria at that time. First though exhaust any options to reset your PR status, apply for a PRTD with convincing H&C reasons and you may be surprised .

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi guys, so my case is that I got my pr card when I was 9 , we stayed for 2 months in the 5 years and chose for it to expire. now I have an expired pr card in my history. to re-enter Canada, as an undergraduate student who wants to live in Canada forever. my guess is to apply for a travel document to re-enter Canada as a permanent resident. that application would be rejected, and I would have to appeal. my questions are:
  1. is this the exact procedure to re enter Canada as a pr.
  2. if yes, will they accept my appeal (I was a minor when my pr card expired and was with my parents and not in control of my parent's decisions)
  3. will they accept my travel document appeal as they usually give a pr to people after they get jobs, not when they go simply for their undergrad course
  4. if they reject it, can I renounce my pr status, go on a study visa, and get the pr some years later (when I get a job)?
Please reply fast guys, this is urgent. thanks.
How old are you now?

There have been other successful cases on here of PRs removed as minors, getting a PR TD on positive H&C decision even into their early 20s.

However this is entirely at discretion of a visa officer, and as mentioned the chances of success go down the older you get after age 18.

So submit your PR TD app immediately, state your H&C reason of being removed as minor, and that you now want to return to Canada permanently.

If PR TD is approved, you can go to Canada and apply immediately to renew your PR card.
If PR TD is rejected, you can try appealing or accept the revoking of your PR status and try again for PR from scratch later if you can qualify.

Sunny96

Mar 30, 2019
My case somewhat similar to above please suggest what I should do.

I got PR in 2003 and stayed in Canada for 4months. My PR was renounced in 2015( My age was 15years) by my parents while getting TRV. I joined University on Study Visa in September 2018. My father is retiring this year and am worried about my fee as International student. Moreover I have now decided to live in Canada permanently.
Please suggest is it possible to restore my PR. If possible how I shall proceed.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

I got PR in 2003 and stayed in Canada for 4months. My PR was renounced in 2015( My age was 15years) by my parents while getting TRV. I joined University on Study Visa in September 2018. My father is retiring this year and am worried about my fee as International student. Moreover I have now decided to live in Canada permanently.
Please suggest is it possible to restore my PR. If possible how I shall proceed.
If your PR was already renounced you cannot restore it. You need to start from scratch.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Agreed with the above response. Since your PR status was officially renounced - it's gone and you are no longer a PR. It is not possible to restore your status. If you wish to study in Canada, you will need to come to Canada on a study permit and pay international student fees.