+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card collection for a new PR

GeetikaPopli

Aug 3, 2018
What is the process for collecting the PR card for a new PR who is landing in Canada for the first time? I am landing in Toronto on 20th Oct and my return to Delhi is on 2nd Nov. The current processing time is 12 days, where can I collect my PR card once it is processed?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
What is the process for collecting the PR card for a new PR who is landing in Canada for the first time? I am landing in Toronto on 20th Oct and my return to Delhi is on 2nd Nov. The current processing time is 12 days, where can I collect my PR card once it is processed?
You cant!

There is no 'collection' facility. You MUST eitger provide them with a Canadian redidential address that they will mail it to OR provide obe within (IIRC) six months or so for tgrm to mail it to.

They will not mail it to an overseas address.

The chances of you gett8ng the card processsed and mailed to you in the timescales you quote are very slim indeed. Assume it will take a month or so with mailing delays.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You will have to provide an address. You can use a friend or relative's address. Then after the card is received, the friend/relative can send it to you. You will not be able to travel back to Canada unless you have the PR card in hand.

GeetikaPopli

Aug 3, 2018
You will have to provide an address. You can use a friend or relative's address. Then after the card is received, the friend/relative can send it to you. You will not be able to travel back to Canada unless you have the PR card in hand.
Thank you! But I can leave Canada and travel back to India with the COPR, right?

GeetikaPopli

Aug 3, 2018
You cant!

There is no 'collection' facility. You MUST eitger provide them with a Canadian redidential address that they will mail it to OR provide obe within (IIRC) six months or so for tgrm to mail it to.

They will not mail it to an overseas address.

The chances of you gett8ng the card processsed and mailed to you in the timescales you quote are very slim indeed. Assume it will take a month or so with mailing delays.
Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you! But I can leave Canada and travel back to India with the COPR, right?
Without a PR card or PRTD you cannot board a plane to fly back to Canada once the COPR has been used to complete your PR landing. The only exception would be that you could use to enter via the US land border.

You do not need a PR card or COPR to leave Canada there is no check leaving other than your valid passport

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Yes, you can do that. For maintaining your PR residency obligation you need to live in Canada for 2 years during any 5 year period. So you can leave at any time, but you will need PRTD or PR card in order to return + they will check your residency obligation every time you return to Canada.

GeetikaPopli

Aug 3, 2018
Yes, you can do that. For maintaining your PR residency obligation you need to live in Canada for 2 years during any 5 year period. So you can leave at any time, but you will need PRTD or PR card in order to return + they will check your residency obligation every time you return to Canada.
Can I apply for the PRTD at the time of my first landing?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Can I apply for the PRTD at the time of my first landing?
No.

You can only apply for a PRTD outside of canada from the Canadian embassy of the country you have travelled to.