+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card application - Immigration Lawyers' address accepted at POE for mailing PR cards?

Man111

Aug 30, 2016
Hi All,
I recently received stamped passports and COPR, I will be doing my landing in Nov 17 at Toronto. I will be staying at Studio 6 downtown Toronto. This is only a temporary address, and my immigration consultant suggests that I give their address for mailing the PR cards. They are based out of Montreal, I wonder if the immigration officer will accept this address. Anyone has any experience with this? My immigration lawyer is also my authorised representative and their address will already be available in their system.

jamesmcdowell

Aug 11, 2017
Hi All,
I recently received stamped passports and COPR, I will be doing my landing in Nov 17 at Toronto. I will be staying at Studio 6 downtown Toronto. This is only a temporary address, and my immigration consultant suggests that I give their address for mailing the PR cards. They are based out of Montreal, I wonder if the immigration officer will accept this address. Anyone has any experience with this? My immigration lawyer is also my authorised representative and their address will already be available in their system.
Any address would be accepted as long it is a street address.

Reactions: Man111

gaurang.parmar

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
PNP: 4-Jan-2016 eAPR: 30-Jul-2016
Doc's Request.
PNP: 2-May-2016 eAPR: 03-Aug-2016
Nomination.....
20-May-2016
AOR Received.
30-Jul-2016
IELTS Request
Pre
Med's Request
Pre-APR
Med's Done....
Pre-APR
Passport Req..
1-Mar-2017
LANDED..........
01-06-2017
You can give any of your friends address. After landing once you have your own address call to CIC or through web form ask CIC to change address.

If you are PNP make sure it is your intended city and province address.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Any address would be accepted as long it is a street address.
No, you can NOT give a Montreal address. Montreal is in Quebec and unless you immigrated through one of the special immigration programs for Quebec, you cannot name Montreal to be your residence (and that's what that address is).
Generally, the commenters here are right that you can give a friends address. But you can NOT give an address in Quebec. The fact that your immigration consultant advised you to do that speaks of his/her quality...

u0905191

Sep 26, 2016
You can give any of your friends address. After landing once you have your own address call to CIC or through web form ask CIC to change address.

If you are PNP make sure it is your intended city and province address.
Hi,

Does webform work in terms of updating the address where the PR card is to be mailed? I've sent 2 webforms with my new address, but never received a reply. I suppose they won't reply at all. Thank you.

stateless

Feb 6, 2010
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London (DRD)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Nomination.....
20 Feb 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with app.
File Transfer...
20-02-2015
Med's Request
15-02-2016
Med's Done....
24-02-2016
Hi All,

As per CIC web site, the average time for issuing PR card is 61 days. It is 75 days sofar I did not receive my PR card.
Any advise?

MuggleOnline

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hi All,
Hi!
I know this is an old post - but did you end up providing your lawyers address even though it is in Quebec? We are in a similar situation and are trying to decide what is the best way forward

p_d2058

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
No, you can NOT give a Montreal address. Montreal is in Quebec and unless you immigrated through one of the special immigration programs for Quebec, you cannot name Montreal to be your residence (and that's what that address is).
Generally, the commenters here are right that you can give a friends address. But you can NOT give an address in Quebec. The fact that your immigration consultant advised you to do that speaks of his/her quality...
Hi. Can you share the source of this rule that the address cannot be in a certain province unless the person immigrated via a special program in that province?

I’m asking because two of my colleagues had their cards recently mailed to their legal representatives in Quebec and they did not apply through any special immigration program for Quebec.

For a first time card applicant, a representative’s address can be provided. It doesn’t necessarily have to be your own permanent address.

Would be good if you could share the source of your information. I’m asking because I plan to have my card mailed to my legal representative as well and they are in a different province from where I wil immigrate. And they have clearly stated that this is not a problem. And it has worked for two of my colleagues.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi. Can you share the source of this rule that the address cannot be in a certain province unless the person immigrated via a special program in that province?

I’m asking because two of my colleagues had their cards recently mailed to their legal representatives in Quebec and they did not apply through any special immigration program for Quebec.

For a first time card applicant, a representative’s address can be provided. It doesn’t necessarily have to be your own permanent address.

Would be good if you could share the source of your information. I’m asking because I plan to have my card mailed to my legal representative as well and they are in a different province from where I wil immigrate. And they have clearly stated that this is not a problem. And it has worked for two of my colleagues.
Possibly they have changed the rules regarding the first card. When I landed as a PR myself (2015), the immigration officer even asked me for proof of address and refused to put down an address until I did provide a document with that address on it. I already lived in Canada so luckily I had a drivers licence with my address on it.

I'm not sure that if you tell the immigration officer "this is the address of my legal representative" that they will be fine with that. I mean you can just give that address and pretend it's yours I guess?

My information is based not just on my own experience but also on several reports on this forum of people where the immigration officer refused to record an address and told them that they will have to contact IRCC later with their actual address via phone before the PR card gets issued.

If your "legal representative" is a lawyer, you should of course trust their judgement more than mine.

If your "legal representative" is an immigration consultant, though, you should always be prudent on what to believe.

p_d2058

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
Possibly they have changed the rules regarding the first card. When I landed as a PR myself (2015), the immigration officer even asked me for proof of address and refused to put down an address until I did provide a document with that address on it. I already lived in Canada so luckily I had a drivers licence with my address on it.

I'm not sure that if you tell the immigration officer "this is the address of my legal representative" that they will be fine with that. I mean you can just give that address and pretend it's yours I guess?

My information is based not just on my own experience but also on several reports on this forum of people where the immigration officer refused to record an address and told them that they will have to contact IRCC later with their actual address via phone before the PR card gets issued.

If your "legal representative" is a lawyer, you should of course trust their judgement more than mine.

If your "legal representative" is an immigration consultant, though, you should always be prudent on what to believe.
Thanks. My legal representative is a lawyer and he shared with me the text from the IRCC site which states that first time PR arrivals may choose to have the card forwarded to the legal representative. The lawyer refused to mail the card to me in the US because apparently that amounts to circumventing immigration laws. I would have to apply for a PRTD to make my next entry and collect the card from them.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks. My legal representative is a lawyer and he shared with me the text from the IRCC site which states that first time PR arrivals may choose to have the card forwarded to the legal representative. The lawyer refused to mail the card to me in the US because apparently that amounts to circumventing immigration laws. I would have to apply for a PRTD to make my next entry and collect the card from them.
In that case, as I said, you should go with what the lawyer says. They are better qualified than me (or most people on this forum, in fact).