+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card about to expire, not fulfilled RO, want to return to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IRCC has not provided any calculator in which you need to enter dates you were absent from Canada and that clearly states that whether you are eligible to apply or not in case of PR renewal. Comparatively they have provided such calculator that clearly states that you are eligible to apply or not based on the 5 years counted backwards from the date you sign your application in case of citizenship.

So I guess IRCC is a bit lenient in case of PR renewal.

There are so many people who end up in secondary review when they go to renew their PR card. Definitely not lenient. CBSA doesn't always notice that you have not met your RO when you enter the country but you will still have to meet your 730 days within 5 years.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So I guess IRCC is a bit lenient in case of PR renewal.
That would be a dangerous assumption to make. If you are renewing your PR, the onus is on the applicant to prove they were in Canada for the required 730 days. It seems more often than not that if you are close to the 730 days, IRCC will send you renewal for secondary review. It is the applicant who must provide the proof they were in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for the response. When I landed in 2013 I was committed to living in Canada forever, but due to certain circumstances I had to return to India. This time if I decide to live for 2 straight years, will I not need the PR card for any documentation during the stay with any institution like the bank or University or for a job. Also since I have stayed in Canada for for about 270 days in 2013 - 2014, will that be not considered?
Again you don't mention what "certain circumstances" mean, but assuming they are not legitimate H&C reasons then you face difficulties no matter if you're reported or not. The months you spent back in 2013-2014 is pretty much irrelevant now due to the long absence, and those dates in Canada will fall outside your 5 year window for assessing the RO.

If you are reported, then you can enter Canada to lodge your appeal and get a temporary PR card until your appeal date. If your appeal is lost, you'll be deported at that time.

If you are not reported, then again you need to commit to staying inside Canada 2 straight years and not leave for even a day for any reason whatsoever, not for family emergency, work, vacations, etc. Some schools I've heard want to see a PR card to verify your PR status for domestic tuition, however this practice varies by school. Things like a drivers license will vary by province. As long as you have a SIN, this is the main thing you need to live in Canada.

Reactions: dpenabill