+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application For My Spouse - I Already Have a PR

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
Greetings everyone,

I am a holder of permanent residency in Canada since February 2020. I got married in November 2020 and my wife applied for express entry and received the ITA. We finished gathering our documents and we are now in the final step which is the payment. However, my concern is that they are charging double the fees because they are considering me as part of the application.

We answered the question "Is your spouse a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada" as YES and the question "Will your spouse accompany you to Canada" as YES.

What is the solution?

Carmen01

Oct 13, 2020
I am not in Canada at the moment, so I will go with her to do the landing formalities etc and start our life there
It doesn’t matter, your application is already completed so it shouldn’t count.

You can search online or redirect your question to legalafcon. He/she should be able to help

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
You are not a PR as you did not land yet. You should have informed cic of your marriage immediately after marriage. Your Visa is void now. You need to inform them and get a new visa for you and your wife.

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
You are not a PR as you did not land yet. You should have informed cic of your marriage immediately after marriage. Your Visa is void now. You need to inform them and get a new visa for you and your wife.
I am a PR and I landed in February but I left Canada for some personal reasons then I got married. I had my PR card since February 2020

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
Then you will be non accompanying. Accompanying means if spouse is also getting a PR.
ok it makes sense. But it won't raise any questions if we made the EE profile saying yes and now changing it to no. We are not gaining or losing any points but I want to make sure

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Doesn't make a difference whether she puts accompanying or not because you already have PR.

It won't change anything in her application, the fee is non-refundable at this point.

You can try to send a webform if you want.

Last edited:

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
Doesn't make a difference whether she puts accompanying or not because you already have PR.

It won't change anything in her application, the fee is non-refundable at this point.

You can try to send a webform if you want.
That is my point then why are they charging me double the fees? Even in the required documents for spouse, they asked for "Family member proof of status" that means they know I have a PR card. And now I can't change the "is this person accompanying you to Canada" to No and we don't want to pay double the fees. I sent a webform but they didn't reply back.

Don't know what to do to be honest

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
That is my point then why are they charging me double the fees? Even in the required documents for spouse, they asked for "Family member proof of status" that means they know I have a PR card. And now I can't change the "is this person accompanying you to Canada" to No and we don't want to pay double the fees. I sent a webform but they didn't reply back.

Don't know what to do to be honest
It seems like a flaw in the system, if it knows you're a PR then it shouldn't charge a fee for processing you as an accompanying spouse, even if you put that option. You're not going to have to submit all the paperwork and documents required for someone who isn't a PR, so they don't need to charge you that fee for the additional processing.

Give them some time to answer, but technically they should refund it to you.

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
It seems like a flaw in the system, if it knows you're a PR then it shouldn't charge a fee for processing you as an accompanying spouse, even if you put that option. You're not going to have to submit all the paperwork and documents required for someone who isn't a PR, so they don't need to charge you that fee for the additional processing.

Give them some time to answer, but technically they should refund it to you.
So you think we should not decline the ITA and proceed with payment and then ask them for a refund?