+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Citizenship for Child Born Overseas

mapleroyal

Mar 9, 2015
Hi, I became a Canadian citizen about two months ago. It took me about 36 months for the whole process (I got pre-test RQ). During the waiting period, I fathered a child overseas. I would now like to get the baby to Canada. I understand that I will need to sponsor the baby to become PR first. Once the baby gets PR and lands in Canada, is it true that I can apply for citizenship right away for the baby because I am already a citizen? How long does this process typically take post landing? I tried to get information on the web etc but could not find. Many thanks to all members for their advice.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Try posting in the under the "immigration topics", in the "family class sponsorship" area.

ecs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you can apply for the baby's citizenship as you've mentioned you were a Canadian Citizen at the time of the the baby's birth.
Right after formally landing as a PR you can apply for the citizenship. It'll take whatever is the current processing time when you apply for the processing to complete. Although as a baby since there is no language or testing requirements, that part will be saving you time. They usually just mail the CITIZENSHIP certificate and ask that you destroy the PR card. In some cases they've asked for the PR card and the letter of landing to be mailed to CIC office and they'll return the letter of landing and the citizenship certificate in the mail.