+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Citizenship Doubts

lmorelato

Apr 6, 2019
Hi, first I'd like to thank you for your time trying to help me!

I'm applying for my PR and I have some doubts if anyone could help me I'd be very thankful.

1 - I've seen that sometimes the PR application can really take too long. In my case, I've been in Canada for 3 years. I know that I can use up to 1 year of all the time I've spent here... Does the time waiting for the PR "arrival" count as extra time for citizenship?

2 - After I getting the PR and meeting the time criteria to ask for my citizenship (3 years here) if my wife hadn´t had enough time in Canada, could she apply for citizenship as long she was a PR holder?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. :)

Leo

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, first I'd like to thank you for your time trying to help me!

I'm applying for my PR and I have some doubts if anyone could help me I'd be very thankful.

1 - I've seen that sometimes the PR application can really take too long. In my case, I've been in Canada for 3 years. I know that I can use up to 1 year of all the time I've spent here... Does the time waiting for the PR "arrival" count as extra time for citizenship?

2 - After I getting the PR and meeting the time criteria to ask for my citizenship (3 years here) if my wife hadn´t had enough time in Canada, could she apply for citizenship as long she was a PR holder?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. :)

Leo
1. Don't know what you mean by "time waiting for PR arrival". You can count up to one year from the date before you become a PR.

2. No. She needs to meet the requirements to apply for citizenship herself.

SheriffWho

Jul 3, 2017
You need to be in Canada as a resident for 3 years. Time as temporary resident counts as half time and can accumulate for up to 1 year.

So... if you’ve been in Canada for 3 years, that’d count as 1 year. And let’s say you get your PR this month, you’d be eligible to apply for citizenship in 2 years.