+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR visa exempt

Sep 10, 2018
Hi everyone. Seniors and applicants with similar experience, please advise.
I (the main applicant) hold a passport of visa exempt country, but my spouse does not. I received PPR but the email is not fully clear to me.
1) Do I have to send only passport copy but my spouse has to send the passport?
2) Does the photocopy need to be certified according to the Canadian standards or I can just copy it myself and send it?
3) Is there any extra fees that need to be paid for the CoPR services?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
  1. I believe it is as you said-- you send a copy of your passport but your spouse sends their actual passport. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong about this.
  2. The photocopy is literally just a photocopy on plain paper. I scanned my bio page and endorsement pages and then printed that out, and that's what I sent. They sent the bio page back to me when they sent my CoPR.
  3. Nope, you (presumably) already paid your fees.

Reactions: Miles813
Sep 10, 2018
  1. I believe it is as you said-- you send a copy of your passport but your spouse sends their actual passport. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong about this.
  2. The photocopy is literally just a photocopy on plain paper. I scanned my bio page and endorsement pages and then printed that out, and that's what I sent. They sent the bio page back to me when they sent my CoPR.
  3. Nope, you (presumably) already paid your fees.
Thanks for the reply. But I still want to make sure 100% about the first question. The letter says:

If you require a visa to enter Canada, then submit your passport(s):

· Please provide your passport or travel document and a passport or travel document for each accompanying family member. An accompanying family member must have his or her own passport or travel document.

If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

· Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and one for each accompanying family member.

I do not need visa to Canada so I fall under the second category. Does it mean I need to submit passport copy also for my spouse although she requires visa because it says "for you and one for each accompanying family member. "

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply. But I still want to make sure 100% about the first question. The letter says:

If you require a visa to enter Canada, then submit your passport(s):

· Please provide your passport or travel document and a passport or travel document for each accompanying family member. An accompanying family member must have his or her own passport or travel document.

If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

· Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and one for each accompanying family member.

I do not need visa to Canada so I fall under the second category. Does it mean I need to submit passport copy also for my spouse although she requires visa because it says "for you and one for each accompanying family member. "
The wording is a bit inconsistent if both spouse's hold different nationalities. You need to send a copy and your spouse the original.

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
You send a copy of your passport, and send your spouses actual passport. That’s what we did, as my son and I were visa exempt and my husband was not.

CaptainJG

Star Member
Dec 9, 2018
Hi all, I am from a visa exempt country Ireland. Received my PPR last Friday. Per instructions, I just have to submit a copy of my passport photo page. Not the passport itself. I can send this by mail (along with my two requested photos) or I can submit via the web portal (MyCIC). It does not, however, provide a link to how to upload on the website. Opinions welcome but if anyone has gone through this experience I'd definitely like to hear what you did.
Thanks.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,
I am a Canadian PR sponsoring my wife who is a citizen of a non-visa-exempt country, but currently living in a visa-exempt country on a work permit. She got a letter which looks like the PPR I received couple of years. However, it has instructions only for citizens of visa exempt countries, which is odd since she will require the PR visa to travel to Canada for landing.

The question is, did IRCC make a mistake and sent instructions for visa-exempt country to my wife by mistake? Or is it the standard operating procedure? What happens if she sends her passport anyway (along with the PPR letter, photos, both our passport photocopies as requested in the instructions)?
I remember when I got the PPR they had an annex page which I had to write my address on and sign which gave them permission to send passport over mail. But that was when my passport was going from US to Canada and back. She has to send the documents within the country she is currently living in.