+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
I applied in Ontario province
As people said you have to wait and your case in line.
I know how difficult it is to waite in dark and just expect a news anytime.
I wish they can change the system and at least show us a number for example and say this number of cases are before yours.
There is a tracking system for normal immigration applications but not for refugees.
Best of luck and this dark period will finish in near future.

Reactions: Polsonlive and 9990

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Hie guys, I filed my claim sometime in July 2017 and my first hearing was in September 2017, a day before the hearing I received a call from my lawyer advising me that my hearing was postponed indefinitely. Since then I haven’t heard anything either from my lawyer or the Board. I feel like I have been forgotten and I’m getting more and more worried by each day. Now I’m thinking of making a call to the Board to make enquires about the status of my claim. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, can somebody please advise. If it’s a good idea, who do I call and enquire from?
What is your nationality because obviously, it does matter.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Jan 10, 2017
The appointment was booked and i attended on the date of the interview. I was informed that my interview will be part of the hearing for my family. I then had a 3 hrs interview with the immigration officer who tried to find out if we obtained the visa so the family could claim asylum.
They will compare your given information at the interview and your wife BOC form information to see if there is any inconsistency. Your interview they will use against your wife refugee case if there is any inconsistencies regarding dates of incident and what did happened.

Jagdeep121

Oct 12, 2017
Hi Everyone .

I am in Canada and in process of filling out forms . I should be able to apply for Refugee by next week from Edmonton .

My question is how long does it take for Cbsa to determine if i am eligible to apply. Suppose if i am not eligible can i still request for review or its end of my journey and second how long will it take to get my work permit . So suppose even if am not eligible will i still get work permit . Thank you

John Tom

Oct 2, 2018
It seems the acceptance rate overall is not good for African countries and is the worst for Nigeria!
Does the case of me being from an African country on its own militates against my claim and does it have a bearing on the time I shall have to wait for a hearing date? Besides the fact that I’m from an African country, I believe my case is meritorious.

Jan 10, 2017
Hi Everyone .

I am in Canada and in process of filling out forms . I should be able to apply for Refugee by next week from Edmonton .

My question is how long does it take for Cbsa to determine if i am eligible to apply. Suppose if i am not eligible can i still request for review or its end of my journey and second how long will it take to get my work permit . So suppose even if am not eligible will i still get work permit . Thank you
If you're in Canada already then Inland IRCC will determine your case for eligibility. CBSA only determines cases for those who apply at the port of entry. You can only be ineligible for refugee claim if you commit a serious crime or already claimed for asylum in Canada before.

Sep 28, 2018
Does the case of me being from an African country on its own militates against my claim and does it have a bearing on the time I shall have to wait for a hearing date? Besides the fact that I’m from an African country, I believe my case is meritorious.
Some countries have an advantage over others because of the acceptance rate generally, hence the reason why some countries have a faster hearing time than others. I’m not sure being African alone dampens your chances, each claim is scrutinized on a case by case basis, country conditions, credibility, corroborating evidence etc. No one here can tell you how your case will go. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Zambian, it’s not on the list of expedited nations
It's a joke list, I'm from this list and nothing happened at all.
They are processing cases by countries now.
Folks from Afghanistan and Nigeria (for example) have way less waiting time than Iraqis and other countries.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a huge variability between countries. For example citizens of Eritrea have an extremely high acceptance rate. Every country and applicant will be judged based on the current conditions in the country and the person's reasons for needing asylum. Given the large number a refugees in the world today, countries try to figure out who is in need of asylum and who could probably relocate in their own country. Wouldn't say Nigerian people are getting processed faster there is just a huge volume of Haitian and Nigerian asylum seekers and actually very few have been processed.

pipex

Oct 6, 2018
I am from Ethiopia my hearing appointment was for December, but finally I received a postponing letter by this week. Now I start to think how much time it will take to get the other letter stating my hearing? and how much months it will take? the other thing I want to know is, is that possible to get a travel document while I am a refugee claimant?