+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
one year ago, in the last year's june. I had convinced my self for a two years of wait. But luckily it took only one year.

SAMER, I really wanna see your message of getting a hearing date, any time soon.

Wish you good luck
Congrats again buddy,

This is confirming my deeply believe of NO FIFO as I applied before you by long time and nothing at all. Each time I call them they told me you are in the line and it's by date of applying.
Back home we call that LIES not sure what they call it in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Congrats again buddy,

This is confirming my deeply believe of NO FIFO as I applied before you by long time and nothing at all. Each time I call them they told me you are in the line and it's by date of applying.
Back home we call that LIES not sure what they call it in Canada.
Assume it was hard to go back an implement FIFO accurately for 40,000 applicants. The whole purpose was to try to decrease the amount of time spent on administration so hey likely did their best and started exact FIFO this year.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Assume it was hard to go back an implement FIFO accurately for 40,000 applicants. The whole purpose was to try to decrease the amount of time spent on administration so hey likely did their best and started exact FIFO this year.
Dear, what are you talking about? ppl applied before, with and after me, all get hearing and nothing for me yet. I witnessed more than 20 one come after me and got hearings and I'm still waiting and you keep saying FIFO, nothing called FIFO, not this year, not a year before and never will be. It's normal Canadian, you got to Brampton or Toronto to book a road test, they refuse to book and ask you to wait for a year although you have overseas DL,, you go to Oakville or Guelf things are easy and they consider your DL and book your test. I say that because I shocked by this country and no words will change that for me. Maybe I will never get hearing given this mentality and maybe I will join the thousands of legacy climents.
No rules, it's all about the officers and if they like to work your case or not. no more no less.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear, what are you talking about? ppl applied before, with and after me, all get hearing and nothing for me yet. I witnessed more than 20 one come after me and got hearings and I'm still waiting and you keep saying FIFO, nothing called FIFO, not this year, not a year before and never will be. It's normal Canadian, you got to Brampton or Toronto to book a road test, they refuse to book and ask you to wait for a year although you have overseas DL,, you go to Oakville or Guelf things are easy and they consider your DL and book your test. I say that because I shocked by this country and no words will change that for me. Maybe I will never get hearing given this mentality and maybe I will join the thousands of legacy climents.
No rules, it's all about the officers and if they like to work your case or not. no more no less.
If you actually read my post I said that it was likely hard to implement exact FIFO the 40000 people waiting so it likely is only correct for this year's applicants. People have unrealistic expectations of Canada. I'm sorry for your experience but given a large number of recent asylum seekers who have walked across an irregular border not sure what people expect from the immigration system.

Reactions: vetman

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
If you actually read my post I said that it was likely hard to implement exact FIFO the 40000 people waiting so it likely is only correct for this year's applicants. People have unrealistic expectations of Canada. I'm sorry for your experience but given a large number of recent asylum seekers who have walked across an irregular border not sure what people expect from the immigration system.
Then they must stop saying FIFO because it's not.

Reactions: jack_2001

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Then they must stop saying FIFO because it's not.
It is FIFO from now on and almost FIFO for other applicants. With such a large number of applicants there are always some unitenational errors. It is unfortunate that it seems to be your file. They are trying their best and the goal of FIFO is to process applications faster and not waste time and resources sorting applicants into categories. These sort of problems are very typical of the Canadian government. Things go missing or you wait longer than others so you just have to learn to check up on your file once in a while and be patient. My advice to everyone no matter what the circumstance is to be polite, be as nice as possible to the person answering calls and don't call too much. The person answering calls can try to help you out or they can go out of their way to be unhelpful if you are always wasting their time or being rude. This is true of all government organizations and most companies.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
It is FIFO from now on and almost FIFO for other applicants. With such a large number of applicants there are always some unitenational errors. It is unfortunate that it seems to be your file. They are trying their best and the goal of FIFO is to process applications faster and not waste time and resources sorting applicants into categories. These sort of problems are very typical of the Canadian government. Things go missing or you wait longer than others so you just have to learn to check up on your file once in a while and be patient. My advice to everyone no matter what the circumstance is to be polite, be as nice as possible to the person answering calls and don't call too much. The person answering calls can try to help you out or they can go out of their way to be unhelpful if you are always wasting their time or being rude. This is true of all government organizations and most companies.
Nice, then we are now legacy claimant as the FIFO is for new applications only.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Dear vetman,

Forum is to share information and to help others not for fight.

Both of you Calm down and try to use good and soft words.

Sorry if I said something wrong.

BR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nice, then we are now legacy claimant as the FIFO is for new applications only.
That's far from the truth. Legacy claimants waited 5 years or more to get processed. I believe you have been waiting less than 1.5 years. You are also not the only one who has waited this long. Yes FIFO has been implemented but there was no point in wasting resources making sure 40,000 people were in exact FIFO order. They did their best to process people in the right order but decided to use resources to process claims and not to make sure all 40,000 were in exact order. You have been provided with welfare if you need it, a lawyer if you can't afford one, health care and a work permit while you wait. If you are not happy with Canada and the Canadian government you are free to leave.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
That's far from the truth. Legacy claimants waited 5 years or more to get processed. I believe you have been waiting less than 1.5 years. You are also not the only one who has waited this long. Yes FIFO has been implemented but there was no point in wasting resources making sure 40,000 people were in exact FIFO order. They did their best to process people in the right order but decided to use resources to process claims and not to make sure all 40,000 were in exact order. You have been provided with welfare if you need it, a lawyer if you can't afford one, health care and a work permit while you wait. If you are not happy with Canada and the Canadian government you are free to leave.
I'm already working since day one of getting the WP, I don't even have time to reply for yesterday, Trust me, I wish I could leave and all what Im going tell you is ''I hope you will never experience this experience''.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm already working since day one of getting the WP, I don't even have time to reply for yesterday, Trust me, I wish I could leave and all what Im going tell you is ''I hope you will never experience this experience''.
You will find that Canadians are used to waiting and not complaining. Happens all the time. You seem be doing well. Keep working hard while you wait. That's all you can do. Canada is not a perfect country. Given that we are receiving double and soon to be triple the amount of normal asylum seekers (especially through irregular borders which leads to even more resources being needed) people have to be a bit more realistic about how much Canada can handle. The media may portray Canada as some sort of utopian society but anyone living here would say they are lucky but can point out many shortcomings. If you look at many other countries where people have sought asylum you will find other situations of even longer delays, no access to welfare or healthcare, no work permit until acceptance, etc. A. few years ago you wouldn't even have had access to healthcare as a refugee. The refugee system is far from perfect but you are part of the lucky group who is waiting in a safe country.

Reactions: Refuge

Samba010

Dec 24, 2016
Hi guys, I’ve been a silent reader of this thread and this is to give hope for those stuck in the backlog, I just received a new hearing after waiting since March of last year, I applied for a refugee in 2016 and had my first hearing 2months later but was not concluded because of a disagreement between my Lawyer and the judge and I have been waiting since then. Fast forward to today I just received a hearing notice in my mailbox. I was planning to change my Lawyer but I do not wanna do that anymore because the date slated for the hearing is first week of July and that is just around the corner. My advice to those waiting is that y’all should keep calling your caseworker to check if there’s update

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Referred to IRB: 09-Aug-2017
Hearing cancelled: 11-Oct-2017
Original hearing scheduled: 18-Oct-2017
Got informed by lawyers of hearing being rescheduled: 16-May-2018
Expected hearing date: 12-July-2018

This is in Calgary by the way.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hi guys, I’ve been a silent reader of this thread and this is to give hope for those stuck in the backlog, I just received a new hearing after waiting since March of last year, I applied for a refugee in 2016 and had my first hearing 2months later but was not concluded because of a disagreement between my Lawyer and the judge and I have been waiting since then. Fast forward to today I just received a hearing notice in my mailbox. I was planning to change my Lawyer but I do not wanna do that anymore because the date slated for the hearing is first week of July and that is just around the corner. My advice to those waiting is that y’all should keep calling your caseworker to check if there’s update
Hi Man,
I caseworker never ever talk with a refugee. At least mine never does! His/Her telephone answer machine keeps saying If you are the refugee and you are asking about waiting time please hang up immediately.
My lawyer told me a caseworker indeed cannot do anything and is just a title.
Best wishes for all refugee including myself.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
be positive and grateful,
I grow up in Iran and refugee. My family was extremely educated but there with no work permit, my father was only a simple labor. Iranian are so racist to refugees. We even could not go to school and therefore refugee made home schools for their children. And we lived there 25 years!
So Samer just believes me, You are in heaven.
I am waiting too here in Canada but remembering my life in Iran I say thank god I am here.
My best respect for Canada.