+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral Fellowship from abroad

huttoel

Jul 20, 2020
Hi,

I am relatively new to Canada and wonder about the following: I am a Postdoctoral Fellow at a Canadian university, but I am not employed here because I have a fellowship from abroad. I am associated with the university but I am specifically excluded from any EI / pension contributions / health insurance. The fellowship is considered tax exempt in the originating country (Switzerland). There is a convention between Canada and Switzerland to avoid double taxation. The Swiss organisation I got the fellowship from tells me that I also have a tax exemption here in Canada.

It would be nice to have that confirmed from the actual country where I might have to pay taxes.

I did quite some research, but it is very hard to find anything about that in official Canadian documents and also the tax convention does not specifically state a case like this.

Does anyone have more information? Should I see an accountant?

Thanks very much!

driz_izzah

Aug 8, 2023
Hi there,

I know it has been a while since you posted your question here. I just wondering if you managed to get an answer to your question? I am currently facing the same situation as you had.