+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral Fellowship from abroad


Jul 20, 2020

I am relatively new to Canada and wonder about the following: I am a Postdoctoral Fellow at a Canadian university, but I am not employed here because I have a fellowship from abroad. I am associated with the university but I am specifically excluded from any EI / pension contributions / health insurance. The fellowship is considered tax exempt in the originating country (Switzerland). There is a convention between Canada and Switzerland to avoid double taxation. The Swiss organisation I got the fellowship from tells me that I also have a tax exemption here in Canada.

It would be nice to have that confirmed from the actual country where I might have to pay taxes.

I did quite some research, but it is very hard to find anything about that in official Canadian documents and also the tax convention does not specifically state a case like this.

Does anyone have more information? Should I see an accountant?

Thanks very much!