+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-PPR: Should I get married now or sponsor spouse later?

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
Hey guys, I have got PPR for myself yesterday, but I originally planned to get married this year. I am hesitating whether I should marry and include my spouse into my application now, or should I activate my own PR and sponsor him later. Please advise, thanks!

Option I: Get married now, include him in application
Pros:
1. We both get PPR and he does not have to apply for his PR later.

Cons:
1. Uncertainty of how much longer it might take (I read in the forum the time can vary from months to over a year), especially that:
1) I might need to enter a master's program this fall, and re-PPR delay might also cause its delay
2) He had previously travelled to North Korea and Qatar, which might trigger security screening and worsen the delay
2. Uncertainty as to whether getting married right after PPR can be deemed as taking advantage of the system by CIC

Option II: Sponsor him later (he can apply for open work permit for now)
Pros:
1. We can land in Canada soon and begin settling down, looking for jobs & study etc
2. At least one of us is guaranteed PR for now, which gives us a sense of security

Cons:
1. He will need to apply for his own PR later, whether through PNP/EE or through my sponsorship, which might take longer

At this moment we are really hesitating which way to go. Any one with similar experiences? Thank you in advance :)

gauravahluwalia

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
Well i was SORT of in same scenario, except I got married days after I got my AoR. I am april AoR and I got married ib May and got to add my wife only by early august. I am still waiting for ppr.

In hindsight, if you guys can manage it then I say definitely get married later. And especially considering he travelled to NK, it might surely put him under SS (research more into this though).

As for Qatar, I am a qatari resident and Qatar wont get you in SS. HOWEVER, I hope you know this but IF you need Qatar PCC, then note that qatar only gives PCC for the time you get qatari pr and not for tourist or business visa. Unfortunately, Qatar Pcc is the only pcc I know of that specifically mentions dates.

My wife was staying with me for nearly 35-40 days on visa on arrival before we converted her visa to family visa but her pcc was only from the date she got her RP in qatar. You will have to write a letter of explanation in this case.

This only applies btw if he has stayed in qatar for longer than 6 months. For my wife, by January it was 6 months, hence I got ADR to add her qatar pcc.

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
Well i was SORT of in same scenario, except I got married days after I got my AoR. I am april AoR and I got married ib May and got to add my wife only by early august. I am still waiting for ppr.

In hindsight, if you guys can manage it then I say definitely get married later. And especially considering he travelled to NK, it might surely put him under SS (research more into this though).

As for Qatar, I am a qatari resident and Qatar wont get you in SS. HOWEVER, I hope you know this but IF you need Qatar PCC, then note that qatar only gives PCC for the time you get qatari pr and not for tourist or business visa. Unfortunately, Qatar Pcc is the only pcc I know of that specifically mentions dates.

My wife was staying with me for nearly 35-40 days on visa on arrival before we converted her visa to family visa but her pcc was only from the date she got her RP in qatar. You will have to write a letter of explanation in this case.

This only applies btw if he has stayed in qatar for longer than 6 months. For my wife, by January it was 6 months, hence I got ADR to add her qatar pcc.
Wow thank you so much for detailed information! Also thank you for letting me know Qatar wont get us in SS :)

We also are slightly prone to getting married later, will do more research to decide.

Good luck to your application, hope you get your ppr soon.

gauravahluwalia

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Category........
FSW
Wow thank you so much for detailed information! Also thank you for letting me know Qatar wont get us in SS :)

We also are slightly prone to getting married later, will do more research to decide.

Good luck to your application, hope you get your ppr soon.

No worries. The main reason we got married earlier was cos she lived in India and I didnt wanted to spend next year or two in long distance relationship lool.

Good luck to you as well. Keep us posted :D

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Hey guys, I have got PPR for myself yesterday, but I originally planned to get married this year. I am hesitating whether I should marry and include my spouse into my application now, or should I activate my own PR and sponsor him later. Please advise, thanks!

Option I: Get married now, include him in application
Pros:
1. We both get PPR and he does not have to apply for his PR later.

Cons:
1. Uncertainty of how much longer it might take (I read in the forum the time can vary from months to over a year), especially that:
1) I might need to enter a master's program this fall, and re-PPR delay might also cause its delay
2) He had previously travelled to North Korea and Qatar, which might trigger security screening and worsen the delay
2. Uncertainty as to whether getting married right after PPR can be deemed as taking advantage of the system by CIC

Option II: Sponsor him later (he can apply for open work permit for now)
Pros:
1. We can land in Canada soon and begin settling down, looking for jobs & study etc
2. At least one of us is guaranteed PR for now, which gives us a sense of security

Cons:
1. He will need to apply for his own PR later, whether through PNP/EE or through my sponsorship, which might take longer

At this moment we are really hesitating which way to go. Any one with similar experiences? Thank you in advance :)
I'll go with the first if it were me. You'll both eventually get it. It may take additional time but it's the quicker option.
For the second option, if he can easily get a work permit then that works perfectly. If not you'll have to be away from him for probably 12 months because there's a lot of stories about how visiting visas are difficult to get for spouses undergoing family sponsorship.
In the end, go with whichever worked best for you both.
Going to school as a PR asap makes the 2nd option also a smart option.
Good luck.

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
I'll go with the first if it were me. You'll both eventually get it. It may take additional time but it's the quicker option.
For the second option, if he can easily get a work permit then that works perfectly. If not you'll have to be away from him for probably 12 months because there's a lot of stories about how visiting visas are difficult to get for spouses undergoing family sponsorship.
In the end, go with whichever worked best for you both.
Going to school as a PR asap makes the 2nd option also a smart option.
Good luck.
Thank you tobs for your advice.

I researched Family Sponsorship and Spouse Open Work Permit a bit today and found out Option II not as easy as I expected, also a lot of uncertainties and restrictions. Maybe adding him in my application now is eventually a better option.

Pashy24

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Thank you tobs for your advice.

I researched Family Sponsorship and Spouse Open Work Permit a bit today and found out Option II not as easy as I expected, also a lot of uncertainties and restrictions. Maybe adding him in my application now is eventually a better option.
Hey, when you add your spouse, how does the CRS points system work then? Do they recalculate as spouse will be accompanying you now?

Velma

Jun 6, 2018
Hey, when you add your spouse, how does the CRS points system work then? Do they recalculate as spouse will be accompanying you now?
My understanding is that CRS will not be recalculated if you add spouse AFTER aor, but I am not too sure about it.