+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post PPR 2021 - Moving To Canada - 2021 / 2022

canadawaiting

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
This is true. FSW applicants can settle anywhere they wish. My question was only about landing and whether the Port of Entry needs to match the city listed on the COPR.
Thanks @idhar_chicha for clarifying - I wasnt aware. Following this question to clarify whether we need to land on the selected destination or not [Even for FSW]

idhar_chicha

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Thanks @idhar_chicha for clarifying - I wasnt aware. Following this question to clarify whether we need to land on the selected destination or not [Even for FSW]
Just clarifying some terms first:

The city you land first is called as the Port of Entry (POE) in Canada.
The city you intend to live is called as the Destination City (as listed in CoPR).

As an FSW or PNP applicant, it is not a requirement to directly land in the Destination City. At the POE, the CBSA (Immigration Officer or the Border Services Officer (BSO)) will ensure admissibility, including verifying the truthfulness of your (applicant’s) intentions to reside in the province that has sponsored you.

Once you become a PR, Canada gives you the following rights in Section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:
  • to move to and take up residence in any province; and
  • to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
So, technically according to the Charter, once admitted as a PR at the POE, there is nothing that can come in between you and the Charter mobility right to live and work anywhere in Canada.

(Important for PNP) However, there is something called as the Immigration Act under which come the power for Provinces to invite foreign nationals to come to their Province. This is in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). If the Border Services Officer (BSO) at the POE during the time of landing receives any indication that the PNP applicant does not intend to reside in the Province that has nominated him/her, then they are reported under the section A44(1) for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR.

What this means is that the PNP applicant will be offered if they want to voluntarily withdraw their PNP PR application, and their CoPR is seized and informed to IRCC. The 2nd option is for the PNP applicant to ask for further examination - in which case they are allowed into Canada, but will be examined by IRCC inland office, and even in this case the CoPR will be seized.

In Summary, your conversation at the POE with the BSO is very important. While the Charter offers you a Right, the Immigration Act also is a legal obligation with your sponsoring Province, and you need to play your cards carefully.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/provincial-nominees/examination-granting-permanent-residence-provincial-nominee.html

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Just clarifying some terms first:

The city you land first is called as the Port of Entry (POE) in Canada.
The city you intend to live is called as the Destination City (as listed in CoPR).

As an FSW or PNP applicant, it is not a requirement to directly land in the Destination City. At the POE, the CBSA (Immigration Officer or the Border Services Officer (BSO)) will ensure admissibility, including verifying the truthfulness of your (applicant’s) intentions to reside in the province that has sponsored you.

Once you become a PR, Canada gives you the following rights in Section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:
  • to move to and take up residence in any province; and
  • to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
So, technically according to the Charter, once admitted as a PR at the POE, there is nothing that can come in between you and the Charter mobility right to live and work anywhere in Canada.

(Important for PNP) However, there is something called as the Immigration Act under which come the power for Provinces to invite foreign nationals to come to their Province. This is in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). If the Border Services Officer (BSO) at the POE during the time of landing receives any indication that the PNP applicant does not intend to reside in the Province that has nominated him/her, then they are reported under the section A44(1) for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR.

What this means is that the PNP applicant will be offered if they want to voluntarily withdraw their PNP PR application, and their CoPR is seized and informed to IRCC. The 2nd option is for the PNP applicant to ask for further examination - in which case they are allowed into Canada, but will be examined by IRCC inland office, and even in this case the CoPR will be seized.

In Summary, your conversation at the POE with the BSO is very important. While the Charter offers you a Right, the Immigration Act also is a legal obligation with your sponsoring Province, and you need to play your cards carefully.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/provincial-nominees/examination-granting-permanent-residence-provincial-nominee.html
Hey, Thanks for this! This clarifies a lot of things.

Could you clarify what you mean by "...including verifying the truthfulness of your (applicant’s) intentions to reside in the province that has sponsored you." AFAIK, I just picked my destination city. I was not sponsored by any province. Do you mean this for PNPs or is there something for FSW too?

idhar_chicha

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hey, Thanks for this! This clarifies a lot of things.

Could you clarify what you mean by "...including verifying the truthfulness of your (applicant’s) intentions to reside in the province that has sponsored you." AFAIK, I just picked my destination city. I was not sponsored by any province. Do you mean this for PNPs or is there something for FSW too?
Nothing to worry for FSW, this is for PNP applicants. It means their initial conversation with the BSO is important - their reasoning for any of their answers should be good and truthful.

idhar_chicha

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
And please also note - that Canadians in general are very immigrant friendly. The BSO/CBSA are trained not to filter out unless something seems out of place. I feel the same goes for the officers who review all our applications at IRCC. Unless, something is seriously amiss, they want people in. Make their life easier by having all the documentation in place, and when the opportunity comes for an interview - communicate clearly. This makes life simple for them and us.

Reactions: canadawaiting

saini1987

Oct 11, 2013
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
App. Filed.......
25-03-2020
Really expensive indirect routes, qatar is not an option with 10 days quarantine rule, few options are Maldives, Mexico, Albania and i don't thing there is any other good route available for copr holders or students etc. Mexico route prices are sky rocketing, for others prices are also increasing with every day passing.

pradeepadm2017

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
03-08-2020
Really expensive indirect routes, qatar is not an option with 10 days quarantine rule, few options are Maldives, Mexico, Albania and i don't thing there is any other good route available for copr holders or students etc. Mexico route prices are sky rocketing, for others prices are also increasing with every day passing.
Ukraine looks like a cheaper option as of now

sr.nadar

Jun 1, 2019
Hey guys - with Qatar out of the equation with the quarantine rules - Mexico is one of the few good options left. I booked the Delhi-Mexico flight on Air France for Aug 14th. Then a 2 day layover in Mexico followed by a Mexico City - Toronto direct flight. If you wish to travel in August tickets are going off. In most cases only business class is available. Mexico seems like a safe route for now with people having traveled as late as Jul last week.

Will keep y'all updated if I speak to more people.

saini1987

Oct 11, 2013
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
App. Filed.......
25-03-2020
Hey guys - with Qatar out of the equation with the quarantine rules - Mexico is one of the few good options left. I booked the Delhi-Mexico flight on Air France for Aug 14th. Then a 2 day layover in Mexico followed by a Mexico City - Toronto direct flight. If you wish to travel in August tickets are going off. In most cases only business class is available. Mexico seems like a safe route for now with people having traveled as late as Jul last week.

Yeah, August economy tickets are all gone

canadawaiting

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021

Hi @sr.nadar @idhar_chicha @saini1987 - These options look prohibitively expensive and also there seems to be a lot of risk here. Is there any reason why you wouldnt probably wait a few more days / maybe a month or so, and book flights when the ticket prices are more reasonable?

Am I missing something - I just want perspective, since right now im thinking, i dont wnat to travel under such an expensive route and with so many unknowns / risks

Please help me understand so that I might realize if there are any important aspects I havent considered, and thus, should start thinking of travelling immediately

saini1987

Oct 11, 2013
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
App. Filed.......
25-03-2020
Hi @sr.nadar @idhar_chicha @saini1987 - These options look prohibitively expensive and also there seems to be a lot of risk here. Is there any reason why you wouldnt probably wait a few more days / maybe a month or so, and book flights when the ticket prices are more reasonable?

Am I missing something - I just want perspective, since right now im thinking, i dont wnat to travel under such an expensive route and with so many unknowns / risks

Please help me understand so that I might realize if there are any important aspects I havent considered, and thus, should start thinking of travelling immediately
Mexico route is the safest and there is no risk involved, thousands of people has already travelled through this route safely.and i am also considering this route when i will have my copr and passport in hands. The people are traveling because there is no guarantee that canada will lift direct flight ban on india on 21st august, it is better to find an alternative to those direct routes and fly to canada because you never know what will be the situation in these covid times.
Moreover, when direct flights will resume then you have to book expensive flights again because the prices of direct flights won't be getting lowered soon according to me as lots of people are waiting for direct flights to reopen.

Let me know what risks you are thinking of in mexico route?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are there people like me following this thread who are going to go to canada and then look for jobs?
Im in Finance, and I'd love to hear if anyone has opinions on where and when should we land..... ive heard November - December is usually an off-season, from the hiring perspective
Not much hiring going on in places like banks. Finance jobs are extremely competitive because Canada is a small market and you have Canadians (some who have worked abroad and return home), Brexit and Issues in HK have pushed many to look for stability elsewhere and a very large number of immigrants who have finance backgrounds also competing. There are only so many jobs to go around. Hiring isn’t frozen all winter but end of November to January is pretty dead.