+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Grauation Work Permit (PGWP) with new passport

vikigenius

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Hi everyone, I am in a bit of a confusing situation.

I have renewed my Indian passport after coming to Canada as a student (Masters 2 years). My study permit will still be valid for the entire duration of my studies, but it has old passport as Travel Document Number. Do I have to renew/extend study permit even though I will complete my studies on time. (i.e will the new passport make the study permit invalid or something)

If I want to apply for PGWP with my new passport (eligible for 3 years PGWP), will the discrepancy between the travel document mentioned in the Study Permit and my new passport be a problem. Do I also have to include photocopies of old passport in my application, how should I handle this scenario in my PGWP application?

Any help would be appreciated.

vikigenius

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
So you did not have to extend the study permit after renewing the passport? And did you successfully get the pgwp
No I did not have to extend the study permit. I have applied for PGWP only recently, so no decision yet. But I was told to do this by the immigration consultant in my Uni, so it should be good. The passport details they ask for is the current travel document. However, to show that you have a valid visa you still have to keep the original passport. It does not become invalid.