+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

mek85

Aug 5, 2015
Hi manz26

Thank you for clarifying the confusions. wish you good luck for your next steps of life in Canada, and all members who are waiting their PGWP.

Lena_4

May 5, 2016
Lena_4 said:
Hi Folks

I'm planning on coming to Canada to study for one year and then get a 1 year pgwp after. Can anybody tell me whether I'm allowed to travel outside Canada (-> go back to my home country) while waiting for my approval?
And second question once I get my work permit, does the validation time of it starts right away or not until I enter the county?

The reason I'm asking is I will need to go back to Switzerland (after studying in Canada) for one year again to finish my studies there, do you think its possible to enter Canada after that year on the pgwp?

Thanks, you help is highly appreciated!
:D
Anybody?

mek85

Aug 5, 2015
Hi Lena_4,

After completing 1 year course, you are entitle to get 1 year of PGWP but keep in mind; that course(Diploma,certificate etc.) must be offered by Designated learning institute approved by CIC & you must graduate from Canadian college or University to eligible for PGWP. Exchange program study which are partially offered by Canadian & participated foreign country college or universities is not eligible for PGWP.

After applying PGWP within 90 Days of confirmation to Completion of study or study permit expiry date whichever come first & must apply within Canada. yes, after applying for PGWP, you can leave Canada. once your PGWP is approved & issued to you, PGWP time start from the date of issue. you need an eTA( electronic travel authorization) to enter Canada as Switzerland is visa exempt country but eTA is required.

Hope it will help to understand it.

Lena_4

May 5, 2016
@mek85

Thank you very much, this was helpful and confirmed me in what I was thinking.

I've heard tough that on visas(and or permits?) there is a date which says "valid until", which means you can resp have to enter canada up untill that date. And then the duration of validity starts from when you arrive in canada? is this correct and does it apply for the pgwp as well?

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hello everyone
I am also going to apply for work permit.
But last year i have been charged for theft under...and later charges were withdrawn..and i am non-convicted.
Guys if you have any knowledge so plz share with me.
I need your help..
do you have any idea these charges will effect my work permit or not??
Please post your comments.
Thanks

JazzB

Star Member
May 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

I need a help from you guys.

I have a friend of mine. He was an international student and did two courses of 8 months each (total 16 months) considered to be 2 program of 1 year each. Ideally he should get two or three years post-graduation work permit after his studies. But he got work-permit of only for one year. When he called CIC they said that they didn't check his documents properly and they will process the request and send updated work permit within next three months.

Now problem is when he got hard copy of his work permit in mail, there is different UCI number mentioned on it than what was on the student permit.

He want to get visitor visa so that he can visit his country and come back in canada.

So what should be done at this time??

Please suggest.

JazzB

Star Member
May 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a friend of mine. He was an international student and did two courses of 8 months each (total 16 months) considered to be 2 program of 1 year each. Ideally he should get two or three years post-graduation work permit after his studies. But he got work-permit of only for one year. When he called CIC they said that they didn't check his documents properly and they will process the request and send updated work permit within next three months.

Now problem is when he got hard copy of his work permit in mail, there is different UCI number mentioned on it than what was on the student permit.

He want to get visitor visa so that he can visit his country and come back in canada.

Please suggest.

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
JazzB said:
Hello everyone,

Please suggest.
I had the same issue with the duration of the work permit.. There is another option. The canadian border security agents at various land borders with US has the ability to process your work permit for you. Ask your friend to take all his/ her documents to the nearest canadian border and explain the situation to them. It will be flag polling, so first go to the US border post, tell them that you are here to do flagpolling. They will give you a stamped paper saying you have been rejected entry into US, turn around go to the canadian post and explain the situation. they will ask for all your paper work but he/she should be able to get it fixed.

Geizi

May 16, 2016
Hi guys, with the PGWP i have a limited time to find a job? I have been living in winnipeg with my husband for 1 year and we are currently wainting our nomination... however if I cannot find a job in NOC A, B or 0 he will loose his OWP?

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Geizi said:
Hi guys, with the PGWP i have a limited time to find a job? I have been living in winnipeg with my husband for 1 year and we are currently wainting our nomination... however if I cannot find a job in NOC A, B or 0 he will loose his OWP?
Unfortunately, yes.

frankfurtvancouver

May 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone please please tell me if I have to immediately come and get my post-graduation work permit once it is approved? I will be traveling Australia during the visa processing time and when they approve/accept my visa application I still want to continue traveling.

Do I have to return to Canada immediately after my work visa is approved and immediately get the work visa in order not to lose it? Or can I still continue traveling/staying outside Canada?

Summary: Will I loose my work permit if I don't immediately go to Canada to get it once it is approved? Can I wait?

I would be so glad if someone can answer as there's no info on the Internet about this!

lizololo

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
May 11th - Applied
May 27th - Approved (online)

rajwinder58

Star Member
Apr 8, 2016
Hello fellows,

I got my study permit approved for fall 2016 masters program of 16 month duration.
My passport will expire in august,2019. I got student visa till march,2018 as my study will complete by Dec,2017.

I will have to apply for PGWP in first three months of 2018. However I will left with 1.5 year passport life. What should I do to get work permit of 2 or more years???

Do I have to apply for new passport while studying amd get a new visa again on mew passport ???
Or do i have to complete my study first and then for work visa on new passport?