+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

vishpp

Dec 8, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I applied for my PGWP on September 9, 2015. I am still waiting for my permit results. I got so far 2 emails from CIC saying that there has been no updates on my application and thank you for your patience.

Some people I know applied on various other dates such as Sept 2, 6 and 15. have received their PGWP. I was wondering if anybody has the same experience or if you can please provide me any way to contact CIC and let me know how I can find out what is going on with my application.

Also when I talked to the call centre agent they said it is in process and they have opened my file and started putting information, as when I called CIC they said it is in process.

Thank you very much!!!!

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
:( one of my friend is in a pretty weird situation, he submitted the application on 26 of May, waited long enough then decided to call CIC. The CIC representative told him that his application was finished on the 26 of October, but they havent sent the permit out yet...told him to wait until January 2016. If didnt receive then make a phone call again... dont know wht is going on :( :( :( :(

Homa12

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have got my PGWP refused after being waiting for almost 210 days!! :( :(

I am an international student doing my master as a full time student in physics. CIC asked me to provide them with a letter from my university and i did provide them with that letter. In the letter, it says that i started my degree in Sep 2012 as a full-time student. It is a regulation of the university that any masters student is only allowed 6 terms of full-time study and then is required to register as a part-time student.

In my case, i finished 6 terms as a full-time student and then FORCED to register as a part-time student! The CIC refused my PGWP and said (in their letter) the following:

Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have
carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is
therefore refused.

[X] After considering all the circumstances of your case, it has been determined that you are not
a person whose employment will create or maintain significant employment, benefits or
opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if
they have engaged in full-time studies for at least eight months at a:
* University, community college, CEGEP,
* publicly funded trade/technical school or
* private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees

As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work
permit in this category.

------ end of the letter -------

Do you think it is reasonable to get my PGWP refused because of this false reason (being a part-time student)? Please help and guide me to what i should do if you have had a similar case. Note: my degree is a full time one and my certificate will be a full-time student one too.

Thanks a lot.

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Hi, sorry about the refusal. the reason CIC may think you studied part time is that most Masters program are completed in 4 terms while yours took 7 terms, 6 to 7 terms is mostly for part time students. just curious what school did you attend, how many courses or credit units did you take a term and did you work more than 20 hours a week?

Homa12

Dec 11, 2015
luvly3 said:
Hi, sorry about the refusal. the reason CIC may think you studied part time is that most Masters program are completed in 4 terms while yours took 7 terms, 6 to 7 terms is mostly for part time students. just curious what school did you attend, how many courses or credit units did you take a term and did you work more than 20 hours a week?
Hi luvly3,

Due to some problems with my committee members, i had to defer my thesis defence and therefore I took more time, unfortunately. I am a York University student. I finished my courses (4 courses) long ago (while i was full-time student) and now working on my thesis at the final stage. I did not work at all.

The question is:

CIC said: I must be a full-time student for at least 8-moneths! and i had been full-time student for more than that and being a part-time student is not my choice at all. Pluse, the CIC is not clear about what full-time and part-time student mean!

I am totally confused and disappointed.

Thank you luvly3 for your reply.

koolbnda

May 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
still waiting, applied on dec 25, 2015

just a question, are they processing the PGWP of those people who have higher grades first?
What made you to think like this?? have you heard it from somewhere or is it just a guess?

kestefanie880

Dec 11, 2015
Homa12 said:
Hi luvly3,

Due to some problems with my committee members, i had to defer my thesis defence and therefore I took more time, unfortunately. I am a York University student. I finished my courses (4 courses) long ago (while i was full-time student) and now working on my thesis at the final stage. I did not work at all.

The question is:

CIC said: I must be a full-time student for at least 8-moneths! and i had been full-time student for more than that and being a part-time student is not my choice at all. Pluse, the CIC is not clear about what full-time and part-time student mean!

I am totally confused and disappointed.

Thank you luvly3 for your reply.
As far as I know, for master student, you can't apply for PGWP until you final thesis is approved. And you need the letter from University to apply for the work permit. I applied on August 19th, and I am still waiting for the approval. Hope this will help.

ambi2015

Sep 26, 2015
pokeyoke_info said:
Nandini, What was the time frame when you applied? You can always get an e mail from CIC mentioning your UCI & name saying you are eligible to hold a full-time offer.

As I hold a full-time position at the moment and I am yet to inform my HR, but I do have an email from CIC that clearly says we are eligible to hold a full-time position.
Hi pokeyoke_info

Could you please tell me how did you get that email confirming that you can work full-time in the meantime ?? did you request cic for that???

Thank you.

ambi2015

Sep 26, 2015
Nandini09 said:
Hi,

It said 76 days. my permit expires on August 31st. I do have the letter from CIC. Since my contract as a student with the company expired on May 29th, I had to go to the interview process for full time position and they are not giving the offer because they are not sure what will happen after 31st. When they contacted CIC, they said they cant really tell if I will get PGWP and the company has to wait and see. All this created confusion and the HR says she cant take the risk as the nature of my job requires lot of training.
Hi Nandini,

Can you please tell me what kind of letter you got from cic and what's the process to get it ?

Actually, I also got a job offer and need to provide work permit to the employer. It's been 3 months when I applied for PGWP but I have not received the work permit yet.

Appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

zhouyvan

Sep 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 2016
Med's Done....
Juin 2016
Passport Req..
waiting
I applied for my work permit on August 20 and i am still waiting for the approval.

Fraya

Dec 15, 2015
Hi, I really need help! can I only include my official transcript in my application package? Because I didn't receive my graduation letter until I submitted my application. In the form IMM5583, it states that official transcript or graduation letter. Thus, I only include the official letter inside, does it matter? I will waiting online! Urgent!

Fraya

Dec 15, 2015
zhouyvan said:
I applied for my work permit on August 20 and i am still waiting for the approval.
Hi, just called CIC today, the application after August 1st hasn't started yet!

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Fraya said:
Hi, I really need help! can I only include my official transcript in my application package? Because I didn't receive my graduation letter until I submitted my application. In the form IMM5583, it states that official transcript or graduation letter. Thus, I only include the official letter inside, does it matter? I will waiting online! Urgent!
Hi, as long as your official transcript has the date of graduation then it should be fine.

some transcripts don't have dates of graduation until after the graduation has happened. In that case you need to submit a letter of graduation stating that you have finished your degree as well.

Fraya

Dec 15, 2015
ndrs11 said:
Hi, as long as your official transcript has the date of graduation then it should be fine.

some transcripts don't have dates of graduation until after the graduation has happened. In that case you need to submit a letter of graduation stating that you have finished your degree as well.
Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. I don't think my official transcript shows the date of graduation. I applied my PGWP by mailing, and my application hasn't been processed yet. Can you please tell me what should I do under this situation? Mail CIC again or wait for their message until they process my application?

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Fraya said:
Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. I don't think my official transcript shows the date of graduation. I applied my PGWP by mailing, and my application hasn't been processed yet. Can you please tell me what should I do under this situation? Mail CIC again or wait for their message until they process my application?
When did you apply?
I'm not sure that you can submit more documents after it has been sent through mail.
I suggest you call CIC and talk to them about this to see what options they give you.

In any scenario, do not wait for CIC to process your application, you need to act now.